1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing a Wakeboard boat?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by gunner_20, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Jun 4, 2009 at 12:52 AM
    gunner_20

gunner_20 [OP] .....

Member:
    Nixa, MO
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma DCLB Sport 4x4
    Hey my buddy has a 06 Tacoma Access Cab TRD Sport. He is looking to buy a wakeboard boat and was concerned with towing a boat that size with this truck. He was talking about trading his truck for a Excursion :eek:

If you got pics towing a Wakeboard boat could you post them..... so i can let him see. Also could you tell me how far you are towing and if any problems.

Im trying to talk him into this for personal reasons ;)

Thanks

2. Jun 4, 2009 at 5:26 AM
    gunner_20

gunner_20 [OP] .....

Member:
    Nixa, MO
    Vehicle:
    figured i would bump since more people are probably online now

3. Jun 4, 2009 at 5:47 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    it all depends on the weight of the boat. If its under the Max. towing weight of the truck, he should be fine. Be sure to include the weight of the trailer with the weight of the boat. Also, take into account Fuel, food/drinks, isechest, gear, etc.

4. Jun 4, 2009 at 5:53 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    dont forget to drain the fat sacs before trailering the boat outa the lake. :)

5. Jun 4, 2009 at 5:53 AM
    Lane Cypert

Lane Cypert Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lewisville, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 silver prerunner double cab TRD
    My friend pulled hi Moomba wake boarding boat with his 06 4Runner with ease. The 4runner had a V6 and I know the double cab tacoma has a higher towing capacity. It of course does depend on the weight of the boat.

6. Jun 4, 2009 at 5:57 AM
    kasey200

kasey200 Well-Known Member

Member:
    south dakota
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Dboubl Cab Longbed
    3" toytec, 285 BFG AT's
    i used to tow my malibu lsv with my taco. only about 10 miles throught the hills but the truck did not like it. honestly it has enough power to get you where you are going and it handled the boat OK, BUT, the brakes on the taco are way under powered for safely stopping that amount of weight in my opinion. i use on of the 3/4 ton trucks from the shop when i need to tow it now. sorry no pics

7. Jun 6, 2009 at 2:41 PM
    NMG

NMG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport
    I suspect his truck should have the tow package and if it does, he's good to tow 6,500 lbs. Now that being said, he may max out the GVWR before he hits that 6,500 lbs . . .

Regardless, 6,500 lbs. would be a fair sized boat. You do have to factor in the weight of the trailer, engines, gas, etc., but even then you are probably looking at something in the 22-24 foot range, depending on style and whatnot. That is not a small boat and on sitting on a trailer it probably looks like a 26-28 footer . . . LOL. Now personally, I wouldn't tow anything that large with a Tacoma but it probably "could" handle it, especially on flat terrain, etc. Practically speaking, I would think that anything up to 18-20 feet should pose no problem at all and would be much more enjoyable to tow than something nearing the max capacity.

I suspect that any boat he's looking at will have trailer brakes so that will also help a great deal. Like others have said, getting it moving isn't the issue, it's stopping it. I can't imagine that a properly set up package, with trailer brakes and coming in at a reasonable weight when compared to the tow rating, will be a problem. Unless he's expected to be up near the maximum trailer rating of the Taco, I think an Excursion is probably way overkill.

8. Jun 8, 2009 at 11:34 PM
    gunner_20

gunner_20 [OP] .....

Member:
    Nixa, MO
    Vehicle:
    Yeah the stopping part could/would be a problem. The closest lake that he would want to wakeboard at is about 30 miles away and the one that he "likes" is about 60 miles away. After talking to him more about the whole deal he is thinking about getting a slip and a lift to keep the boat at the lake. He doesn't want the whole hassle of hooking everything up and having to worry about trailering it somewhere.

Thanks for the replies guys! As always very helpful :D

9. Jun 9, 2009 at 9:56 PM
    Johnson8537

Johnson8537 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD SPORT 4x4 Double Cab Long bed
    Revtek Leveling Kit with 1 1/2 block spacer in rear. 17" MotoMetal blacks on 32" tires. Access Lorado Tonneau - Bed mat Billet Grill Tinted Windows Pioneer 700BT with PAC steering wheel inerface. Wet Okole Seat Covers Front and back.
    I have an 06 taco (see signature)
    I have a 20Ft Malibu that I tow with no issues. attached picture
    (I also Tow a double Jetski set up. about 1500lbs)

My Boat does have Surge Brakes... I don't even know its back there!!

(Jetski doesn't and I do not like the Tacomas brakes!) my only complaint!!

Malibu 004.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top