1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

towing air bags and lift ?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sydwayz04, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Apr 10, 2012 at 4:41 PM
    sydwayz04

sydwayz04 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    belgrade
    Vehicle:
    11 acc. cab sr5 white
    stero system, couple subs, dwreck sliders, shackel flip, long travel air bags, h.i.d.'s, and some other cool stuff
    so i just picked up my new trailer and she tows great, its a new rockwood tent - pop up trailer with the 8' flat bed up front, it squated my truck pretty good and arched the springs the wrong way :-(... alreadfy had the tsb leaf springs dont and have had air bags on all my past trucks, so my question in it is 100% stock as far as supension goes right now except the tbb springs done, i was wanting to so a shackel flip in the back to get about .5 inches of lift and a little better flex outta the rear and ste the front up with kings at about 2" to leval her out and set her on some 265's

so i searched through air bags and came up with a bunch but nothing that has ben lifted, so will the bags work on a lifted truck? if so how much can i lift if, say if i ended up going with new springs that are a 3" lift springs, anybody out there have them on a lifted truck

thanks guys

2. Apr 10, 2012 at 6:08 PM
    Canazes9

Canazes9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 Dbl Cab TRD Sport / '12 Dbl Cab Offroad
    I'm not sure what you are asking - 2" lift to level it out, 3" lift springs (front? back?).

Regardless, I have the Bilstein 5100's set to 1.75" on the front of my '07 dcsb Sport and firestone air bags in the back on factory 3 leaf (no TSB) rear leafs. Tires are 265/70r17 E Mickey Thompson ATZ's on factory rims. I keep about 15 psig in the bags for just riding around unloaded which raises the rear about 1" higher than the front. The ride is plush at this setting and the suspension seems to have good flex and movement (relatively).

Pump the bags to 25 psig and the back raises another 1" (unloaded) and I can haul 3-400 lbs of stuff in the back w/ no appreciable sag. The ride w/ load is comfortable and the truck feels very controllable at highway speed w/ a load. Without a load the ride is firm, not real harsh - the suspension doesn't have as much flex and I think you would start to notice some travel problems in offroad situations unloaded - hauling a bunch of stuff off road then this setting works well.

Pump the bags to 45 psig and it climbs another 1" (3+" over the front unloaded). I haven't ridden very much unloaded at this setting - the ride is becoming harsh and rough! You can haul a trailer w/ 600-800 pounds tongue weight, plus gear in the back and the truck feels very controllable, back end still about even with the front even with all that weight. Never off roaded at this setting.

A few times I've pumped the bags up to about 65 psig, never unloaded. This lets you haul a 600-800lb tongue weight, 300lbs gear, 400 pounds corn, and 3-4 men and still not have any squat. Truck handles the weight rather impressively, every one has commented on how surprisingly good it seems to handle the load like this. Regardless, I'm not comfortable stressing my truck with this much load and have only done it a couple of times, minimal distance flat land.

Hope that helped...

David

3. Apr 10, 2012 at 6:32 PM
    kieth

kieth Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 trd
    Full OME lift with Dakars, 886s and LR UCA's, Firestone air bags w\ onboard compressor, 2 kicker CVT 10" subs , MB Quart 1000w amp ,Alpine media player
    i run the air bags with dakars which give me about 3 inches of lift and they are great. No air for wheelin ,10-15 psi for regular driving and more for any hauling.

4. Apr 10, 2012 at 6:55 PM
    sydwayz04

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    belgrade
    Vehicle:
    11 acc. cab sr5 white
    stero system, couple subs, dwreck sliders, shackel flip, long travel air bags, h.i.d.'s, and some other cool stuff
    i would like to lift the front no higher than 2".... but if i were to go with a full 3" lift, and dakar 3" springs in the back would the stock bags still work or do u need taller or spacers under the bags if down the road i go with a full 3" lift, but most likley i will lift the front 1.75 or 2' and a shackel flip out back for a half inch in rear to level her out, just was woundering if u can run air bags with a milid lift on the rear?

thanks so far will look into firestone bags some more

5. Apr 10, 2012 at 7:17 PM
    Canazes9

Canazes9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 Dbl Cab TRD Sport / '12 Dbl Cab Offroad
    If you go 2" or less in front, 15psig in the bags (which rides very comfortably unloaded) is all you need to raise the back 1" higher than the front, you don't need anything else.

David

6. Apr 10, 2012 at 7:47 PM
    sydwayz04

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    belgrade
    Vehicle:
    11 acc. cab sr5 white
    makes science, sounds good to me, thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top