1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing Capacity, 1998 Tacoma 4cyl

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by butterboy43, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Apr 28, 2010 at 11:57 PM
    butterboy43

butterboy43 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Camper shell
    I am wondering if anyone can advise me on towing capacity for my 1998 toyota tacoma. I have a great bumper hitch with supports welded onto the frame. I've added an add-a-leaf into the rear springs for additional clearance and load capacity.

I'm looking to purchase a vintage camper trailer and am planning on keeping the tow limit to 1500 pounds. If it's still advisable to go up to 1800 or 1900 pounds it would be great to hear people's opinions.

Also, if I had trailer brakes on camper trailer, do I need to invest in a transmission cooler as well?

Thanks in advance. Finding the answers to these questions have been difficult.

2. Apr 29, 2010 at 6:24 AM
    Barnone

Barnone Guest

What model and engine is your Taco?
    google 1998 Tacoma towing capacity or look in your owners manual.

"Its payload is just over 1,900 pounds and when properly equipped a Tacoma can tow up to 5,000 pounds."

3. Apr 29, 2010 at 8:36 AM
    butterboy43

butterboy43 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Camper shell
    It's a 1998 2.4L 4 cylinder. I've done a fair bit of online research and can't get a conclusive answer. The owner's manual is pretty vague as well. On top of that, I don't have a lot of towing experience, which is likely why I'm not getting at a great answer on my own.

I'm guessing that if this trailer turns out to be as much as 1800 lbs. (dry weight), we'll still be okay, but I'm trying to gather as many opinions as possible. Thanks for any feedback.

4. Apr 29, 2010 at 6:27 PM
    Barnone

Barnone Guest

My 2002 2.4l auto is rated at 3500lbs. I have towed as much as 2500lbs with no problem. Just take it easy and allow plenty of room to stop and you should be fine with 1800lbs.

Products Discussed in

To Top