1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing Concerns

Discussion in 'Towing' started by robertvoyage, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Aug 9, 2018 at 2:37 PM
    robertvoyage

robertvoyage [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma PreRunner
    I'm trying to bring a van, just like this one, from San Diego to Texas (about 1500mi).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEDBFXMZt-E

1973 Dodge Tradesman Camper
    I can't seem to find the specs online but I figure it's over 4000lbs.

I drive a 2007 V6 PreRunner. I've read it has a tow capacity of 3500, but also ranges up to 6500 if it is properly outfitted. It just has a standard ball hitch I bought from autozone.

I'm wondering if I am safe to tow, or how I may go about outfitting my truck to do it. Or should I forget about moving this van altogether.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  2. Aug 9, 2018 at 3:02 PM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    N. Calif. The Twilight Zone
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD double cab 4x4, Barcelona Red
    You will be way over the tow capacity weight of your truck. Not only is that dangerous from a safety standpoint but you may likely break something in the drive train or suspension. In addition stopping without trailer brakes may be a real problem. 1500 miles from San Diego through Texas is all hot, really hot desert and simi desert. Since you don’t have a tranny cooler or oil cooler you may burn up your tranny. It’s all just a bad idea. Also it is not clear if you have a trailer hitch or just a ball on your bumper. You would need a class three hitch.
    If your van is in running order And your van has a 360 V8 you may be way better off instead towing the truck with the van as long as you put a class III hitch on it.

Clearwater Bill likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top