1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing for $$

Discussion in 'Towing' started by 1989supraturbo, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Mar 27, 2012 at 12:08 AM
    1989supraturbo

1989supraturbo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD 6 Spd MGM
    Has anyone used their truck to tow a trailer or a load for profit?
    What did you charge or how did you come up with a scale to make it worth your while.

With summer coming up I'm thinking of putting an add for people who need their boat towed to the lake or quads or a load of dirt. Some people hate waiting in line while dumbasses try to load their boat or they have to park it at the dock and run up to find their truck, this could save a step. I've seen people willing to bring their toys out but not able to get it there due to a lack of truck.

Any ideas?

2. Mar 27, 2012 at 12:13 AM
    Twistedfreedom

Twistedfreedom welcome to the incredibuild

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    in progress
    modded the F*ck out
    better let your insurance provider know what you're up to. one accident and it's bad news bears if your towing for profit.

on a side note it's going to depend on how much gas is, donut forget to factor in you're expenses like gas, oil changes, trans flush, diff fluid, brakes, these are all parts that will wear faster because of frequent towing.

3. Mar 27, 2012 at 12:19 AM
    hamsterhater

hamsterhater Well-Known Member

Member:
    long island
    Vehicle:
    11' dc mag grey taco
    level kit- exhaust -cai n-fab light bar-4 piaa 6"new hood w/scoop
    im sure you mean well and you probably would get a few customers , but if anything would happen along the way you would wish you never did it as a buisness without insurance . all it would take is an idiot to run into you and your regular insurance to find out you where doing it for a profit:eek:. i think they could sue you personaly if there stuff wasnt covered fully . i would read into maybe a self corp or something like that to cover yourself but i dont really know about that stuff to much. sorry , didnt mean to burst your bubble but better safe than sorry ..good luck

4. Mar 27, 2012 at 12:24 AM

1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dust Bowl
    Check local laws about towing trailers or hauling loads for profit as you might need a DOT permit to do so. Also, you need to make up some kind of form authorizing you to transport the trailer so if you get stopped there will be no problem when the police notice that you are towing a trailer registered to someone other than yourself. And speaking of registration -- the trailer you are towing will either need a valid one or you will need to get a trip permit each time you tow. Make sure that you have the ability to weigh trailers too so you don't get caught with a fine for an overloaded trailer.

If you know someone who drives a semi or a tow truck or has a delivery service ask them about the things you will need -- they haul and tow stuff for a living.

5. Mar 27, 2012 at 12:34 AM
    1989supraturbo

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD 6 Spd MGM
    Yeah i see what you guys are saying, there are risks and all it takes is one jackass.

I am a trucker in the military so it's kind of something i'm familiar with;) The only thing is we don't charge because it's usually all CF stuff we're hauling. As long as the trailer is insured and I have the papers, i see no problem (assuming no dishonest people).

6. Apr 3, 2012 at 11:26 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    The problem isn't the possibility of damaging the trailer you're hauling. It's that your liability insurance won't cover you if you wreck when being paid to pull someone else's trailer.

Example: Your customer's boat trailer brakes fail and you hit a car full of nuns. The nuns sue you. Your insurance goes to your customer and says: "so, you guys friends? Why is he towing your boat?" Your customer spills the beans. Your insurance company says: "You're on your own, dude."

It's a great idea if you make it all legit. Just have to charge enough to cover your expenses, including business insurance.

7. Apr 3, 2012 at 11:51 PM
    joes06tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I'd be afraid to even do that without insurance.

I do appliance repair. One of our techs went into a house, saw a tear in the vinyl floor, pointed it out to the owner before he moved her stove out for repair. She acknowledged it was there, but he did not ask her to sign the paperwork stating there was preexisting damage. She waited for him to leave, then called the office and blamed the damage on him.

I could tell stories for hours. You can do everything right and be totally honest and people will still try and screw with you.

Cover your ass. I know we all could use a few extra bucks, but it could very easily cost you your savings account and more if you try and do anything without insurance.

8. Apr 4, 2012 at 12:34 AM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    if someone owns a boat or quads, or any sort of toy, dont you think they would already have a tow vehicle? I mean why would you fork out the cash for say a couple of quads if all you have is a nissan sentra. I dont think you will find many people that want to pay you to tow their stuff so they can play with it

9. Apr 4, 2012 at 12:36 AM
    Twistedfreedom

Twistedfreedom welcome to the incredibuild

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    in progress
    modded the F*ck out
    you'd ba amazed how many assclowns own jet skis and tow then with a car... the best fun is to sit at the marina and watch a civic try to pull a ski up a wet boat ramp.

10. Apr 4, 2012 at 1:50 PM
    joes06tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    You're right, you didn't. :eek: I've known a few people who do yard work without it though. It seems like it would be hard to mess up bad enough to need insurance, so I think many do without. :rolleyes:

11. Apr 4, 2012 at 2:43 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    make each customer sign an indemnity agreement and provide proof of auto liability insurance naming you as holder and additional insured.

12. Apr 4, 2012 at 6:09 PM
    1989supraturbo

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD 6 Spd MGM
    You'd be suprised how many people buy boats and will buy the truck "later on" or even the other way around, they had the truck but couldnt afford it cuz they only take it out a few times a year. Boats you can finance for 20 years, try that with a car.
    If i wanted to make a buck trying to scam the guy towing my toy, i'd not want to risk the insurance company declining my claim by damaging my expensive toy.
    You can pull friends boat legally because they have insurance on the trailer and the boat.
    Plus us canucks don't sue for everything, just want to have a good time j/k

13. Apr 4, 2012 at 6:52 PM
    joes06tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    Didn't catch the Canada connection. Anything goes up there, eh?:D

14. Apr 4, 2012 at 7:52 PM
    1989supraturbo

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD 6 Spd MGM

If I was pulled over, they'd probably just make me wright everything in French as well like on the movie Canadian Bacon. I'd just give the cop some of my beer and then we'd be good.

Products Discussed in

To Top