1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing gone wrong

Discussion in 'Towing' started by luke83, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Aug 24, 2011 at 8:21 AM
    Rufus

Rufus Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD PreRunner Sport
    OEM Truck Bed Extender, Window Tint, Tailgate Security Mod, OEM Spare Tire Lock, Cam Locks (storage compartments), OEM Bed Mat, OEM Skid Plate, Stant 11504 Locking Gas Cap, TW Edrin55 OEM Running Boards, Pop & Lock w/Back-Up Cam, Black WeatherTechs, Red Line Quick Lift Plus Hood Struts, Wet Okole Front Seat Covers-black/charcoal with red & white TRD graphic & back seat pockets, DIY Satoshi Grillcraft & Old School Toyota Badge, TW ZonKs Black UWS Low Pro Truck Box, Rear Suspension TSB, 3M Scotch Guard Paint & Headlight Protection Film 8mm Urethane, Flyzeye V2 Wired Amber/White/Amber Interior LED Lights w/Silver Case, Sleek Looking Black LED Tail Lights from K2 Motors (Identical to OEM, but black).
    Sub'd for future reference.

2. Aug 28, 2011 at 6:20 PM
    Oat

Oat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2001 Prerunner
    Gibson Exhaust, Painted factory steel wheels, Chrome wheel caps, K&N Air intake, Tint, Regular Bilstein (yellow/blue) all around, Leveling spacer kit upfront, Partially de-badged, Westin Bullbar with skidplate, White, Double Cab Prerunner SR5
    I wouldnt feel safe towing in my v6 over 50 mph.

3. Aug 28, 2011 at 7:27 PM
    taco206

taco206 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thats a big load. Sounds like a job for a Tundra or another 1/2 ton. Most 2nd gen owners think this truck is invincible just because it can move their trailer 10 feet. Not the attitude you should have. It's not made for heavy hauling or cross country trailering. Theres a reason the Tundra is made, and alot of 2nd gen Taco owners should have considered buying those instead.

4. Aug 29, 2011 at 6:24 PM
    Goober

Goober Earthlings are fun to watch!

Member:
    Utah - Why just have only one?
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off-Planet AccessCab
  5. Aug 31, 2011 at 2:18 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4
    K&N intake
    ding ding ding.

we have a winner!

That trailer better have brakes!!!

Better yet, get a Tundra or a Sequoia with the I-Force. You won't even notice it back there.

6. Sep 3, 2011 at 1:47 PM
    j4x4ar3

j4x4ar3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - White
    Round Step Bars, Bed Mat, Cargo Bars w/Thules ski and bike attachments, JVC MP3 Head Unit, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, roadmaster active rear suspension, more when $$$ allows
    I have the Roadmaster on my truck. I've had it for a few years now. Can't remember how much I paid to have it installed and stuff though. Wasn't very expensive in my opinion. Definitely felt a difference on the ride the moment I pulled it out of the shop. I have an early model 05 that does NOT have the TSB or the newer 3 leaf pack installed. It works as advertised and definitely helps or eliminates axle wrap entirely. As for towing I have to say that I'm very happy with the ride and the fact that I don't have to drop as many links on my WD hitch to prevent sag. I've also carried a pretty heavy load in the bed when not towing and the ride is definitely smoother and I don't "lean" on the curves as much. I would have to say that for me it was a worthwhile investment especially since I think air bags on a truck this size is overkill and not needed. That all said though the only negative I have to say is that when you have them installed make sure they put a generous amount of water proof greese on the curved part that hooks over the rear leaf bracket. My truck squeeks like a mother F!! and it drives me nuts. I've already done the leaf spring TSB myself and replaced the squeek pads with no luck. I just need to find the time to life up the truck and get some greese in there. Took about a year before the squeeking started though.

Check http://www.activesuspension.com/ for more information and dealers that might be in your area to install it.

7. Sep 4, 2011 at 8:42 PM
    F-125Racer

F-125Racer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    09,DC,TRD Sport, 4WD, TRD S/C
    I have to disagree with some of the posts here, sure a bigger truck would make towing this rig easier, but the Taco will handle it just fine. You MUST get either the TSB done, or some kind of heavier springs first.
    I tow virtually the same trailer (but a bit heavier sometimes) no problem. Yes, the trailer does have brakes. Check it out under the thread "6 cylinder towing review" here on the towing forum. I don't know how to post a link, but I'll bump it.

To Top