1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing Harness Short?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by jguinn2005, May 5, 2009.

1. May 5, 2009 at 12:34 AM
    jguinn2005

jguinn2005 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Harrisonburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 TRD Off-Road Blacked Out
    I went on a camping trip the other day towing a 2500lb single axle pop up camper. I've got an '08 Off-road 6speed with towing package. Don't have a bit of problem towing this at all. I installed a Prodigy Brake Control by Tekonsha some time ago and have used it several times. I used the factor wiring harness and have had no problems ... until this weekend.

When I made it to my destination much to my dismay I noticed that there was smoke coming from under my dash, I quickly locked down my truck and disconnected the brake controller which was hot to the touch and noticed that it was flashing "SH" for short detected. When I pulled the harness out the hot wire had melted and pretty much burnt up :mad:. Has any one else had problems with this? Also, I haven't broken out the meter to see what if my harness itself shorted or the controller but does anyone have any ideas?!?! Help! Thanks!

Just to note I did not have to increase booter settings and it wasn't nearly maxed out for power output - so I'm kinda at a loss as to what may have happened.

2. May 10, 2009 at 8:43 AM
    tbmevent01

tbmevent01 @zombietacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DC
    TRD exhaust,AFE CAI,debadged,mag light mod, King 2.5 resi rear, King front resi coilover, ICON Delta Joint UCA, Total Chaos Expedition LCA, Deaver Stage 2 expedition leafs, FNW wheels, LT285 /70 R17 Toyo Open Country AT/3s,Leer 100XQ,Wet Okole front and rear, Wheelers Super Bumps w/Ubolt flip, Full Prinsu racks,
    I have a prodigy as well. I bought the adapter cable from camping world so it is plug and play. I had the same prodigy on my silverado dually and never had any problems with it. I dont really like anything that has to be wired. I prefer the direct plug stuff so there is less room for potential problems.

[​IMG]

3. May 10, 2009 at 4:57 PM
    jguinn2005

Member:
    Harrisonburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    Well this was plug and play ... minus splicing up the factor harness with the supplied prodigy one.

4. May 10, 2009 at 6:56 PM
    tbmevent01

tbmevent01 @zombietacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DC
    TRD exhaust,AFE CAI,debadged,mag light mod, King 2.5 resi rear, King front resi coilover, ICON Delta Joint UCA, Total Chaos Expedition LCA, Deaver Stage 2 expedition leafs, FNW wheels, LT285 /70 R17 Toyo Open Country AT/3s,Leer 100XQ,Wet Okole front and rear, Wheelers Super Bumps w/Ubolt flip, Full Prinsu racks,
    Mine has no splicing. It was direct plug to factory plug. :)

5. May 10, 2009 at 7:29 PM
    jguinn2005

Member:
    Harrisonburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    Lol that's what I'm talking about. There was a harness in the glove box when I bought the truck that clipped into the harness under the left side of the dash. This had bare end wires that needed to be spliced together with said brake contoller ... unless your brake controller came with a plug for your truck ... if that's the case, that'd be nice to have.

6. May 12, 2009 at 6:04 AM
    tbmevent01

tbmevent01 @zombietacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DC
    I didnt use the plug that came with the truck. I bought a plug with connectors on both ends from the company that makes the prodigy.

Products Discussed in

To Top