1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing Heavy (8k lbs +) a bad idea?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by SSalami99, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Dec 2, 2015 at 5:10 AM
    oldtoyotaguy

oldtoyotaguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 4 Runner ORP
    Stock but with a Warn 10s winch Used to be a lightly modded Tacoma
    No one has mentioned liability. Its always the gorilla in the room. When you read these threads, imagine how they would sound in a court of law under questioning by a few sharp attorneys. Even if your complicity in an accident might only be found to be 10%, could you afford the cost if the settlement was large. Bad things do happen, and often do, whenever you get two or three or four misjudgements or poor assumptions lined up. Think about it - my .02 worth.

2. Dec 2, 2015 at 8:46 AM
    TacoJonn

TacoJonn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Cheyenne, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB Sport 4x4, '78 FJ40
    Towing that much on flat land is easy. Try crossing the Rockies with that much behind you.

3. Dec 2, 2015 at 8:49 AM
    taczilla

taczilla I intend to live forever; so far.... so good!

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    PEC, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 RAM Rebel
    2012 TRD Sport - STOLEN! / 2016 RAM Rebel
    I realize that, so I go easy on the loads with the dump trailer when I head north. The truck can pull the tractor anywhere.

4. Dec 2, 2015 at 8:52 AM
    Hennessy

Hennessy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte NC
    Vehicle:
    13 Red DC TRD Sport
    Demello Baja bumper, Mcneil Fiberglass, Fabtech Uniball Upper Control Arms, Emu Dakar leaf springs, Fox 2.5 Factory Series Coil-over IFP, Fox 2.0 Performance Series IFP
    WP_20150902_002.jpg worried more about stopping than anything else, loaded with top soil.

5. Dec 2, 2015 at 9:32 AM
    SilverBullet19

SilverBullet19 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Sacramento County
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB Prerunner TRD Sport
    So you don't have a Tacoma, you're just debating to buy once correct? I get the idea from your first post that you're in the market for a new truck.

If you already have a Tacoma, I understand that you don't want to rent another truck just to tow the boat.

If you don't have a truck yet, get one that is designed to tow that weight from the factory. It makes no sense to purposefully buy a truck that is not even close to rated for that weight. 33% is a lot more than its designed for.

Especially 15 times a year, even if its a short distance.

6. Dec 2, 2015 at 9:41 AM
    Uncle Jimmi

Uncle Jimmi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Coleman MI
    Vehicle:
    White access cab 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Mud flap delete
    I was going to say all of the above but now I don't have to.

7. Dec 2, 2015 at 10:39 AM
    amxguy1970

amxguy1970 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Texas
    I was already to try and find the thread about a guy using a late 80's regular cab 4x4 silverado to pull his 40 foot sea ray out of storage to get gas and then the slip twice a year, I was thinking you would only to it once to launch at the beginning of the season and once to pull it out to winterize. For that the truck could do it no doubt, trucks are over engineered, in 4 low it has plenty of power (depending on the steepness of the ramp). But to do it 15+ times each way nope, buy the silverado. Then you have the option of taking the boat to another lake for a camping trip with the family (that was some of the most fun we had when I was little, camping at different lakes), or if something breaks and it needs to be towed to boat repair shop it can. The wear on the suspension would be a ton, you have a better chance of getting caught and ticketed and many other things could happen doing it that often. The Silverado will get about the same mileage, cost close to the same or a little more and have more room, features and capability. Let us know which you choose.

Tyler

8. Dec 2, 2015 at 11:58 AM
    BlindingWhiteTac.

BlindingWhiteTac. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 LQ4 4L80E
    Just the essentials and no extra fluff.
    It seems you've never been pulled over by a trooper with portable scales.

9. Dec 2, 2015 at 5:18 PM
    tx_shooter

tx_shooter This place is a cesspool of bfo and spacer lifts

Member:
    ha! exactly. I grew up in the country and have had to deal with overweight when hauling issues more than a few times. But what do I know right? Another great example of why people call this place TardWorld.

10. Dec 2, 2015 at 5:25 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    I've done a fair amount of boat towing. I like matching the boat and trailer all-up weight to the max rated trailer weight the truck will haul - assuming a properly balanced trailer and good functioning trailer brakes!! More than that does tend to feel overloaded and uncomfortable. If you were doing it once or twice, I might favor the smaller more economical truck.

But 10-15 times a year is a lot. That's regular usage and you want it to go smoothly. So for that I'd go to the bigger truck rated for the weight.

11. Dec 2, 2015 at 5:26 PM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    No need to get nasty.

12. Dec 2, 2015 at 5:27 PM
    tx_shooter

Member:

Stop.... what you meant to say is to make sure to put a GoPro on the truck so we can see footage of when the brakes finally give out and boat sucks the truck into the lake. Then we'll see if the insurance company will deny the claim due to the load being overweight.

PackCon likes this.
  13. Dec 2, 2015 at 5:28 PM
    Johnny919

Johnny919 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4
    Tundra.

8701 and tx_shooter like this.
  14. Dec 2, 2015 at 5:29 PM
    tx_shooter

Member:
    That wasn't nasty - it is a documented fact. There are people that refer to TacomaWorld as TardWorld because of threads like this where people encourage other people to do bad/ illegal things. Hence the nickname. I didn't come up with it - I just found it fitting.

Boltsfaninmo and Rock Lobster like this.
  15. Dec 2, 2015 at 5:31 PM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
  16. Dec 2, 2015 at 6:04 PM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    You see that's a distinction without a difference right?

Example 1:
    "You're a flithering blitherbit!"

Example 2:
    "I can see why everyone thinks you're such a filthering blitherbit!"

Either one would draw you into fisticuffs in a seedy bar.

archerm3 likes this.
  17. Dec 2, 2015 at 6:12 PM
    tx_shooter

Member:
    I see your lack of understanding on the distinction. As for being drawn to "fisticuffs"; well I would not be drinking in an establishment where the " men" would encourage such reckless and dangerous behavior such as towing a huge boat with a little truck. Seedy bars? Is that a gay bar reference? I'm not sure but cannot comment because I have no personal experience in seed bars.

18. Dec 2, 2015 at 6:15 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    once the trailer weight is over 3500lbs, trailer brakes controlled by the tow vehicle are mandatory. Does not change the tow capacity of the truck.

19. Dec 2, 2015 at 6:19 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    add to that, any insurance you may have would be invalid because exceeded capacity of vehicle. Driver would be on the hook for the damage to their own vehicle, their boat, and the other person's damages.

Boltsfaninmo[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Dec 2, 2015 at 6:29 PM
    tx_shooter

Member:
    But he is only doing it 12-13 times a year so it is okay; right? It is like speeding or smuggling coke into the country in other peoples' asses - only illegal if you get caught.

Products Discussed in

To Top