1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing Heavy (8k lbs +) a bad idea?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by SSalami99, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Dec 2, 2015 at 6:31 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    http://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/seedy

2. Dec 2, 2015 at 6:33 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    :rofl: This is one of those threads where an OP is looking to validate a bad idea. if you have to ask, I think you already know the answer. The real debate is the OP really, really, really wants a Tacoma, but then there is this 'towing my boat' problem. Solution - Trade the boat in for something smaller that can be towed by the Taco, or get a 3/4 ton full size truck (borrow, rent, lease, or buy)

3. Dec 2, 2015 at 6:34 PM
    tx_shooter

tx_shooter This place is a cesspool of bfo and spacer lifts

Member:
    Actually - after further review - Toyota believes the OP is completely fine.

tundratowsendeavour005_zpszxrukbdm_2aa06b496be0375d8b6bbbe384703fe61437d99e.jpg

VE7OSR and 8701 like this.
  4. Dec 2, 2015 at 6:35 PM
    tx_shooter

Member:
  5. Dec 2, 2015 at 6:36 PM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    "The Internet" has a strong tendency to say this is true - but I challenge you to find wording to that effect in your policy. Liability insurance claims are commonly paid when one party is negligent. If no one in the accident was in any way negligent, we'd have a heck of a lot fewer accidents on the roadway.

Time for me to bail out of this thread. "Can I tow too much weight with my truck" threads always seem to go off the rails and become train wrecks.

Unsubbed.

6. Dec 2, 2015 at 6:37 PM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    WTF? Ignore list for you.

7. Dec 2, 2015 at 6:38 PM
    tx_shooter

Member:
    Negligent and breaking the law are two different things. I have a close friend that owns a lawn mowing company that had to pay a ticket because one of his trucks was pulling a trailer that weighed more than the truck was rated for. I'm sure the state trooper was mistaken though.

8. Dec 2, 2015 at 6:40 PM
    tx_shooter

Member:
    But we were just starting to learn how to communicate with each other. This is a prime example of why two different people from two different places can have problems communicating - I used complex sentence structure and failed to translate my message into crayon for him. Next time I will have to try to crayon harder.

9. Dec 2, 2015 at 6:41 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    There's th OP's answer Get a Tundra.

and a bigger boat.

SilverBullet19 and 8701 like this.
  10. Dec 2, 2015 at 6:44 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Not quite seeing the connection between seedy bars, the entitlement to bear arms anywhere you please, and exceeding towing capacity. But then again on second thought.

11. Dec 2, 2015 at 6:46 PM
    tx_shooter

Member:
    His response about seedy bars explained them as some place I would not want to take my mother. I would not want to take my mother to a "Gun Free Zone" due to dangerous element that tend to migrate there.

12. Dec 2, 2015 at 6:54 PM
    FawkQ

FawkQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCSB V6 4.0 6M "The Sequel"
    wtf did I just read... both the original question and the blabber has me shaking my head in disgust and dismay

SilverBullet19 likes this.
  13. Dec 2, 2015 at 10:07 PM
    SilverBullet19

SilverBullet19 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Sacramento County
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB Prerunner TRD Sport
    Buy Tacoma for 10k less than a decently equipped full size Chevy/Ford.

Buy 10 year old Chevy 1500/2500 quad cab for cheap. Park it in driveway, use it 10-15 times a year for boat trips. Bigger and more comfortable for the family.

2 trucks for the price of one, save the Tacoma from added stress, and have a spare vehicle in the event that one breaks down.

14. Dec 7, 2015 at 2:31 AM
    archerm3

archerm3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    97LX (sold) 15DCSB BRM MT OR(RIP) 09 Tahoe
    Brake controller, Snugtop, Hellwig981, Gentex, custom frame bending and body removal by red light runner.
    that tx guy still doesn't understand what you meant. He's a dense one.

15. Dec 7, 2015 at 2:41 AM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    Uhh, do you have no experience buying fullsize? You can get a decently loaded full size for cheaper than a Taco. It is much harder the other way around. No way you'll get a Taco 10k under a comparable full size. No way.

16. Dec 7, 2015 at 3:25 AM
    archerm3

archerm3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    97LX (sold) 15DCSB BRM MT OR(RIP) 09 Tahoe
    Brake controller, Snugtop, Hellwig981, Gentex, custom frame bending and body removal by red light runner.
    you don't have to buy new.

PvilleJohn likes this.
  17. Dec 7, 2015 at 4:22 AM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    The OP was asking about a 2015 or 2016 Tacoma. So yeah, it does.

Even then Tacomas maintain value better so Tacomas get even more expensive relative to fullsizes with age.

18. Dec 7, 2015 at 4:36 AM
    PvilleJohn

PvilleJohn SVT Raptor

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Powdersville SC
    Vehicle:
    SVT Raptor
    Figured I would throw in my opinion as well... To start off with..I wouldn't do it! My reasons are this... Towing the boat down the road is not an issue, the truck can defiantly handle that especially if you are reducing the weight on the rear suspension. My problem would be when backing the boat down the ramp and pulling the boat out of the water. I have witnessed a small v6 S-10 back a boat down the ramp and the front tires lost traction on the wet pavement and the truck couldn't stop, it slid the rest of the way down the ramp and also jack-knifed the boat because he lost traction and couldnt steer. It was not a good day for him. He blocked the ramp for about an hour until someone with an F-250 came pulling up to help out. I love the Tacoma but the Silverado's are nice too.

19. Dec 7, 2015 at 4:37 AM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    1 truck 1 car 1 motorcycle
    So what happened OP? No loud metallic pop?
    Constant dribble in here.

20. Dec 7, 2015 at 8:34 AM
    SilverBullet19

SilverBullet19 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Sacramento County
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB Prerunner TRD Sport
    I guess that depends what you consider decently loaded. When I say decently loaded, it had leather, power everything, tow package, etc.

When I was shopping for trucks, a decently equipped full size ran about 40-42k. I got my Tacoma brand new for 29...so yeah, the Tacoma was more than 10k cheaper. Only thing the Tacoma didn't have was power seats and leather. If I could have had a full size for less... I would have gone that route.

I'm curious as to where you would find a decently loaded full size for cheaper than a Tacoma...definitely not around these parts. The v6's go for over 35k.

Kevindust likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top