1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing my Tacoma

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Chuckychief, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Feb 4, 2013 at 5:22 PM
    Chuckychief

Chuckychief [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma 4x4
    Hello all. New to the forum with a question. I have an '04 Tacoma double cab,4x4. Can I tow it behind my motor home? Issues? Problems? Just what do I have to do?
    Thanks

2. Feb 4, 2013 at 5:26 PM
    lowinhz

lowinhz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Papa Kurt
    Dandridge Tn
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SB 4x4 v6
    Billies@ 2.5, 2inch blocks, front hitch, xrc 8k winch on portable mount, 10 sub behind seat, Memphis amp, pioneer touch radio, cobra cb, 235/85/r16 duratracs with black rims, high lift jack, tint, remote start alarm, hella 500 lights, car seat
    No you cannot flat tow your tacoma will cause issues. You can get a dolly and disconnect the driveshaft or get a full trailer.

3. Feb 4, 2013 at 7:54 PM
    dougmatson

dougmatson Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Torrance, Ca
    Vehicle:
    13' DBL Cab 4X4 TRD Sport
    TRD Cat Back exhaust TRD cold air intake
    I was told by Remco that a driveshaft disconnect was all I needed. Pull the disconnect put the tranny in park. Remco is the company that specializes in theses.

4. Feb 5, 2013 at 7:10 AM
    lowinhz

Member:
    First Name:
    Papa Kurt
    Dandridge Tn
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SB 4x4 v6
    Billies@ 2.5, 2inch blocks, front hitch, xrc 8k winch on portable mount, 10 sub behind seat, Memphis amp, pioneer touch radio, cobra cb, 235/85/r16 duratracs with black rims, high lift jack, tint, remote start alarm, hella 500 lights, car seat
    Yes for a 2x4 that remco product is fine the trouble comes where yours is a 4x4. If you get a dolly and the remco coupling that would work but the problem of the front wheels spinning has to be solved ie the dolly

5. Feb 5, 2013 at 6:10 PM
    dougmatson

dougmatson Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Torrance, Ca
    Vehicle:
    If the hubs are not locked why would it matter? I towed my 89' 4runner with the manual tranny in neutral, front hubs unlocked with no problems, over 35k miles worth of towing.

6. Feb 6, 2013 at 5:44 AM
    lowinhz

Member:
    First Name:
    Papa Kurt
    Dandridge Tn
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SB 4x4 v6
    I think the 04 does not have manual hubs. That would work for a manual hub tacoma but one with auto hubs it will not.

7. Feb 6, 2013 at 5:46 AM
    Chuckychief

Chuckychief [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma 4x4
    Thanks to all who responded. Doug, can you tell me anymore of your experience towing? I contacted Remco and they no longer make the part, but gave me a number of someone else who does. Will call them today. How does it work? Can you disconnect and reconnect yourself?
    ANY info you can give me will be more than I have now. Thanks in advance.
    Chuck

8. Feb 6, 2013 at 6:54 PM
    dougmatson

dougmatson Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Torrance, Ca
    Vehicle:
    If your talking about the driveshaft disconnect thats weird because I spoke to them about a month ago for the driveshaft disconnect for my 13' and they said they could ship me one around $800. You can go to their site and see how they work. I think I would switch to manual hubs before going to a dolly they are a pain. Another idea is to install an aux tranny pump that would pump fluid in the tranny when you were traveling.

9. Jul 7, 2013 at 5:03 PM
    dougmatson

dougmatson Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Torrance, Ca
    Vehicle:
    I spoke to the people who now make the driveshaft disconnect system. They told me the Tacoma double cab is one of the most popular tow cars now. I asked what I needed and they said the just the disconnect unit, keep the transfer case in 2hi, put tranny in park and go. I also talked to a Toyota master mech and he said as long as the tranny was not being turned by the shaft and with part time 4wd in 2hi mode I should not have a problem. Going to order all parts this week and hit the road in August.

To Top