1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing something very light.

Discussion in 'Towing' started by phototraveler, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Mar 23, 2019 at 1:41 PM
    phototraveler

phototraveler [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    So this might be an unusual post but I have been thinking about a Kompact Kamp Mimi Mate: https://www.kompactkamptrailers.com/minimatecamper.

Weighing 260 pounds, it's typically towed behind a motorcycle or small car. I just need something inexpensive and easy to set up for an extra bed as I camp with another person using my truck cap. I've been told there might be issues with not seeing it behind the truck bed (I can use extended mirrors and also have a back up camera). I am also told it is difficult to level the truck and the camper because the camper is so much lower to the ground. (I am hoping I can use a drop hitch for this.). I would hope that with such low weight and profile, it won't do much to gas mileage. I read all the time about not exceed GVWR but this is of course a problem from the opposite end of the spectrum. I would use it a lot on back roads and some dirt roads and would also want to take it on the highway at speeds up to 60-65 mph. I have a 2017 Toyota Takoma Crew Cab with a tow package. Anybody have experience with something like this and any suggestions?

2. Mar 23, 2019 at 4:43 PM
    specter208

specter208 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD SPORT ACLB w/ 6MT TRUCK WHITE
    TOYOTA OEM: Cast Aluminum Running Boards Mud Guards Bed Mat All-Weather Floor Liner NIssan Frontier Sliding Bed Extender
    You
    you could probably pick it up and throw it in the back of the truck lol. I would just find a drop hitch to level the trailer out so the back end isn't scraping on any surface. 60-65mph is a safe enough speed to reduce trailer sway.

2016Tacoman likes this.
  3. Mar 23, 2019 at 5:04 PM
    phototraveler

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    I thought about that! Except I can't single handedly lift 260 pounds. I appreciate your thoughts... thinking about the same thing myself.
    Very helpful. Thank you.

specter208 likes this.
  4. Mar 23, 2019 at 5:11 PM
    phototraveler

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    And, oh, I thought a simple friction sway control might not hurt. I'm wondering if the little unit is so small that traditional sway bars might not work. Available at Amazon for $41.

specter208 likes this.
  5. Mar 23, 2019 at 5:50 PM
    specter208

specter208 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD SPORT ACLB w/ 6MT TRUCK WHITE
    TOYOTA OEM: Cast Aluminum Running Boards Mud Guards Bed Mat All-Weather Floor Liner NIssan Frontier Sliding Bed Extender
    I dont think it will be necessary. That trailer is so light, the truck has built in electronic sway control that should be able to control that small unit. Just drive no faster than 65mph and load you trailer cargo with appropriate tongue weight if you want to be safe.

6. Mar 23, 2019 at 6:18 PM
    phototraveler

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    Thank you. I appreciate your help.

7. Mar 27, 2019 at 7:58 PM
    Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:
    Trying for sway control on a 200b trailer is useless. It doesn't weigh enough and isn't large enough to even worry about. Visibility is an easy fix. I used to tow a little 8' flatbed. They invisible. But go to lowes and buy 2 4' driveway markers, they cos about a buck. Attach them to the end of the trailer and problem solved. You'll see the markers over your tailgate.

8. Mar 30, 2019 at 1:30 PM
    Groan Old

Groan Old Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Newton NC
    Vehicle:
    Black 2011 SR5 4X4,Double Cab, V6/auto
    Sway control can be improved with a longer tongue and making sure you have at least 10% of the total trailer weight on the tongue. Keep the tongue as level as possible in towing configuration. Too high is like too little tongue weight, too low is like too much tongue weight. No more than that trailer weighs, it would be difficult to have too much tongue weight. Longer tongue (increased distance between ball and trailer axle) increases moment arm and discourages shimmy.

Products Discussed in

To Top