1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing Tacomas

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by flyjbaker, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Jan 5, 2009 at 8:22 PM

flyjbaker [OP] Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    I got the itch to get a small travel trailer....somewhere in the 4000lb range. I know this truck is rated to tow 6500lbs but I know how all that works. I was just wondering if there are people towing significantly sized trailers with their Tacos over significant distances(more than just local...100+ miles)? ANd how did the truck do????
  2. Jan 5, 2009 at 9:45 PM

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    I don't tow much weight: quads, trash, etc. but the other day I did see an 09' AC pulling a huge winnebago sized campertrailer, it looked like it was doing good except for the rear sagging really hard to the point where I'll bet he was bottoming out on cracks in the road.

If it is one of those pop up tent trailers the Taco should tow that around like a beer can.
  3. Jan 5, 2009 at 9:49 PM

santacruzer Active Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Santa Cruz, CA
    09 Tacoma Double Cab TRD
    I've been considering travel trailers also, so I'll follow this thread with you!

With my 2001 DC TRD Off-Road I flat-towed my Jeep CJ-5 (2700-2800 pounds curb weight) on some 300 mile trips a number of times. I had an aftermarket hitch and no tranny cooler for the auto transmission, and it did OK, although I always felt I was pushing things. With that truck I also towed a small tent trailer (1000 lbs?) and almost didn't know it was there.

Because I wasn't totally comfortable towing the Jeep, as well as wanting a larger travel trailer, in September I bought the '09 DC TRD Off-Road with the towing package.

What kind of trailer are you considering? 4000 pounds is actually a lot for today's smaller travel trailers. The heaviest I've looked at so far is the Airstream DWR 16 at 4300 lbs. The Scamp 16 is only 1750 lbs (hard to believe), while the Coleman Evolution I (tent trailer) is 3500 lbs.

I'd also be especially interested in hearing what kind of anti-sway bars people are using for trailers.
To Top