1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing with manual transmission

Discussion in 'Towing' started by knoagreen, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Sep 20, 2016 at 6:01 PM
    knoagreen

knoagreen [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Willie
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC 4X4 OR MGM
    I bought my truck used and don't know which tow package it has. I have a tow hitch installed to the frame, but don't see a weight rating on it. Any one know how much I can tow with 2013 v6 manual transmission? Also do the manual transmissions have a oil cooler for towing, I don't see one on my truck.

2. Sep 21, 2016 at 12:22 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 XMF - Extreme Mexican Food fo Life!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    4Runnerzzz
    Originally not Expo AF! Kinda Expo AF now...lame.
    Manual trannies don't need an oil cooler. The oil cooler is cooling the transmission fluid for the automatic transmissions because during shifts and TC use it gets warm. Since you control the shifts it's not needed, as it will not "hunt" because you pick a gear and stick with it.

The 2013 AC OR probably has a tow rating in the 5500 - 6000lb range if you have a 2" receiver hitch mounted to your frame. If it's a bumper ball, 3500lbs max.

I'd stick to around a tongue weight of 550 lbs or less and 5500 lbs or less on a trailer and you'll be good to go.

Do you have wiring for a 4 or 7 pin? Does your trailer have brakes? You're gonna want brakes if you're going near that tow rating. Also, some states require trailers of a certain weight to have brakes.

You will also, in that case, need a brake controller. I suggest a Prodigy P3 by Tekonsha, but there's plenty out there that's good.

3. Sep 21, 2016 at 7:19 PM
    knoagreen

knoagreen [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Willie
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC 4X4 OR MGM
    Got it so no tranny fluid cooler on the manuals. I have a 2" receiver mounted to the frame and wiring for 7 pin. I don't have a trailer yet looking into how much trailer my truck can handle first. Looking for a 20 foot or smaller travel trailer.

4. Sep 21, 2016 at 9:03 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 XMF - Extreme Mexican Food fo Life!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    4Runnerzzz
    Originally not Expo AF! Kinda Expo AF now...lame.
    Ahh, so travel trailers are a different beast too, check out the other threads on them. Here's some pointers.

Your setup is good for around 6500 lbs.

However, having owned a 4500 lbs trailer and towed it with a Tacoma I quickly upgraded to a bigger truck. It did ok, but TTs have high walls and produce insane wind resistance, and also will push the truck around in winds.

Pop ups are good choices, A-Frames are good. Smaller trailers are good (weight 3000lbs and less), and lower height trailers / aerodynamic are good (think R-Pods).

Also, a brake controller with a TT is a must.

Lastly, there's a bunch of weights listed on TTs, most of them mention a dry weight, but make sure that INCLUDES your appliances, which can easily add another 800 - 1000lbs. You'll also want to check out a decent weight distribution hitch (WD Hitch), which will help level the trailer and the truck. Otherwise, the trailer and the truck will make a "V" shape and the front wheels of the truck will not make good contact with the road, not to mention your headlights will be pointing into the trees.

The biggest thing about the Tacoma is to remember it's not a long wheelbase, and it only weighs about 4500 lbs. Buying a trailer that's taller, longer, and heavier is going to mean it's the boss on the road, not you. I didn't enjoy towing my TT with my Tacoma, and later bought a bigger truck. Nowdays, I'd actually be happier with my Tacoma and a much smaller trailer.

MPG towing was about 10MPG on flat land with no headwind. That's normal, or good. 7 - 8 would be normal on the low side. Mountains require more from your truck, so keeping far away from the tow rating will help the truck from being overworked.

Hope that's a good starter.

rivak and Blandino like this.
  5. Aug 21, 2020 at 10:16 AM
    Powered Parachute

Powered Parachute Well-Known Member

Member:
    Olympic Peninsula Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2014 V6 4L Manual DCSB TRD Sport
    Fab Fours rear bumper. Bestop. Uni Filter Clamp-On Breather. Scratched up and dinged mod.
    I have a manual and was wondering why there is this then?

Screenshot_20200821-100835_Chrome.jpg

6. Aug 24, 2020 at 7:13 AM
    summithightacoma22

summithightacoma22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    michael
    denver
    Vehicle:
    2013 grey tacoma trd sport
    front +2 allpro long travel with kings. Marlin crawler lca reinforcements, alpine design cab mount. All pro spindle and upper control arm reinforcements. Willwood 6 piston front calipers and 2 piece rotors. rear 7 pack expedition soa, 12 2.5s, archive garage shock relocation kit. Archive garage shackle flip kit. wheels 285/75/17 geolander g0003 on 17x9 with a zero offset. engine bay. antigravity atx hd-20 lithium battery arb high capacity air compressor. 3* exhaust cam timing. intake spacer custom stuff custom made sliders, custom bed rack system, custom drawer and bed system, modified mounts for arawak awning. Fiberglass/lexan cap door. Boxed out frame in spots I could reach. soon to be a chopped bed at the rear axle interior -lathewerks co polymer stainless shift knob, modified from a wrx to fit. -pioneer mid and treble speaker replacement. -future mods -4.56 gears arb front and rear lockers -traction bar for the rear. -full carbon front clip. -supercharger eventually.
    side note, what does that little doohickey do, is it is a radiator fluid cooler? I am inclined to think those are coolant lines routed into that sandwich block to help regulate coolant temps in comparison to oil temps?

7. Aug 24, 2020 at 7:28 AM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    N. Calif. The Twilight Zone
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD double cab 4x4, Barcelona Red
    The red thing is your oil filter and the unit and hoses are your oil cooler

8. Aug 24, 2020 at 4:41 PM
    summithightacoma22

summithightacoma22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    michael
    denver
    Vehicle:
    2013 grey tacoma trd sport
    front +2 allpro long travel with kings. Marlin crawler lca reinforcements, alpine design cab mount. All pro spindle and upper control arm reinforcements. Willwood 6 piston front calipers and 2 piece rotors. rear 7 pack expedition soa, 12 2.5s, archive garage shock relocation kit. Archive garage shackle flip kit. wheels 285/75/17 geolander g0003 on 17x9 with a zero offset. engine bay. antigravity atx hd-20 lithium battery arb high capacity air compressor. 3* exhaust cam timing. intake spacer custom stuff custom made sliders, custom bed rack system, custom drawer and bed system, modified mounts for arawak awning. Fiberglass/lexan cap door. Boxed out frame in spots I could reach. soon to be a chopped bed at the rear axle interior -lathewerks co polymer stainless shift knob, modified from a wrx to fit. -pioneer mid and treble speaker replacement. -future mods -4.56 gears arb front and rear lockers -traction bar for the rear. -full carbon front clip. -supercharger eventually.
    I get the oil filter...however the lines running into the sandwich block, are filled with coolant, yes? Oil generally operates at lower temps than coolant in my limited mechanical knowledge.

9. Aug 26, 2020 at 6:55 AM
    665.0coupe

665.0coupe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCSB OR MT
    Engine oil temps for normal stuff can be 230-260 degrees. Severe or heavy duty situations can push oil temps to 300.

10. Aug 26, 2020 at 7:04 AM
    rustyfromskowhegan

rustyfromskowhegan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC 4x4
    There’s some really great write ups on here about tow capacity with different model Tacoma’s. I forgot what it’s called, but it may be stickied somewhere. It covers just about everything. Maybe someone can link it

11. Aug 26, 2020 at 1:08 PM
    Scott4032

Scott4032 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 4x2 V6
    coming soon!
    My fusion pro app says engine oil temp stays around 185*. Where that sensor is located, in the pan or the oil filter mount, I don't know. I speculate that the coolant cooling the oil is coming from the exit (cold side) of the radiator and the temp sensor is in the oil filter/cooler mount. I'm third gen tho.

Products Discussed in

To Top