1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing With my 3rd Gen! Advice and help request

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by 4x4erik, May 18, 2020.

1. May 19, 2020 at 7:11 PM
    RushT

RushT Amateur Everythingist

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    '18 DCSB TRDOR Inferno
    I definitely recommend this route too. Rent a similar sized trailer once or twice. It’s $500 to make sure you aren’t making a $20,000 mistake.

Junkhead and 4x4erik[OP] like this.
  2. May 19, 2020 at 7:15 PM
    FreddyFlintrock

FreddyFlintrock Well-Known Member

Member:
    You can call me chicken shit, but I think the auto manufacturers (all of them) issue a tow rating based on ideal (zero elevation change and at sea level). Since I don't live in the land of unicorns and fairy dust, I use a general rule of 2/3 of their rating. I tow a Beavertail 1750, folded blind and 27hp mud motor with my '16 TRDOR A/T and am well below the tow rating and yet I feel it. I use ECT and sport mode in either 4th or 5th gear depending on speed.

Sadly my former tow vehicle did better '04 Escape with 3.0 v6 with overdrive turned off.

3. May 19, 2020 at 7:40 PM
    RushT

RushT Amateur Everythingist

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    '18 DCSB TRDOR Inferno
    Towing specs come from a pretty standardized test. Granted, that test may work them pretty hard but the test is designed to determine the tow weight the vehicle can pass the test with. Manufacturers may choose to decrease that weight should they choose to, but they can't increase it and still claim compliance.

4x4erik[OP] likes this.
  4. May 19, 2020 at 7:55 PM
    #Scotch and Brass

#Scotch and Brass Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD 4X4 in Cement
    Tinted Windows Centre Tray Molle Backseat cover Molle Visor cover TRD Pro Grill De-Badged the chrome Decals off Blacked out Badges Blacked out Tailgate letters DiomandBack bed cover 17" ProComp Bandido Wheels Toyo Open Country AT Bilstien 5100 all around 2.5" Eibach Coild 1.5" ProComp rear block Sway bar relocate kit Front Runner Custom Bed rack
    I think the Forest River R-Pod line up are one of the lightest out there. I know a few of their models have bunks and even Murphy bed set ups. I think their 19-20 footers come in around 3750 lbs. Might be what you’re looking for. Those Falcons look great though.

5. May 19, 2020 at 8:37 PM
    TacoManOne

TacoManOne KDMax-Pro Authorized Tuner

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Liberty Lake, WA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue TRDOR DCLB Premium JBL
    KDMax Pro latest version, Meso stuff, JBL upgrades
    I have posted this before but it is always worth refreshing...SAE J2807 towing standard. Pretty tough test.

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/towing/1502-sae-j2807-tow-tests-the-standard/

"It can sound complicated, but the procedures are designed so you can be assured your truck will not be steered by the weight of the trailer under typical driving conditions even while pulling the maximum tow weight."

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    4x4erik[OP] and RushT[QUOTED] like this.
  6. May 19, 2020 at 8:59 PM
    CRASHMAN50

CRASHMAN50 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AA-ron
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma TRD Off Road DCLB
    Sherpa Equipment Co. rack, CVT Mt. Rainier, Mobtown sliders, 40" Rigid light bar, Dobinsons suspension w/Med. Dakars
    I've pulled grill trailers, Jon boats, and flat trailers with scissor lifts, ATVs, and just junk and have always had fun for a few hours. After that, I grow tired of it. It will do it, but I won't wind those rubber bands up in my engine bay for that length of time to pull a trailer at highway speeds all day.

I was at a boat ramp one morning at a popular spot during duck season, and ice had accumulated on the ramp. Nearly everyone there had full size trucks on mud tires with 18' boats, and every one of them had to back into the water and spin tires to maybe get off the ramp on the first try. While waiting for the race to be gone, this little AWD escape locked them up sliding down the ramp, nearly jack knifing. We think, no way, he's stuck there. But that thing just drove right out, no spinning, no dramas, all on street tires. They didn't have anything special, but that escape was getting it done and making the daddy's diesel guys look bad...which was almost worth the skunk hunt.

Junkhead, 4x4erik[OP] and TacoManOne like this.
  7. May 20, 2020 at 12:18 AM
    4x4erik

4x4erik [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab 4x4
    -Currently Leveled (Bought that way) -265/70r17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers -OEM Sport Wheels with 1.25" wheel Spacers -Many Changes Coming soon! See my old Jeep and now my Tacoma build @4x4erik
    Lol I am aware of how payload works. That still isn't 1000 pounds with the Falcon's.

8. May 20, 2020 at 12:25 AM
    4x4erik

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Vehicle:
    -Currently Leveled (Bought that way) -265/70r17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers -OEM Sport Wheels with 1.25" wheel Spacers -Many Changes Coming soon! See my old Jeep and now my Tacoma build @4x4erik

This is the kind of experience I am looking for. I've got a couple questions for you.

What speeds were you maintaining?
    Was it very hilly/curvy roads?

My other thoughts is that the Falcons are going to tow much better, for one thing, they have a lighter tongue weight than anything comparable I've seen. Also, as stated earlier by another member, they are insanely aero dynamic, but they are also more narrow than most traditional style trailers.

Anyway, I could be reaching for straws, but I'm going to try and rent or borrow one when I get stateside. See what its like first.

9. May 20, 2020 at 12:31 AM
    4x4erik

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Vehicle:
    Truth is I want a Tacoma. I don't want an F250. I want the size of the Tacoma for hunting, and the day to day. Why buy a big 3/4 ton truck to fit a job that only happens 10 times or less a year when I drive the truck 600 times a year? You get what I'm saying? You buy a truck to fit it's primary duty, not the thing it does barely ever.

Also, that being said the falcon trailers are well under the two rating, tongue rating, and when you add 1500# to the trailer they are still under weight for the truck... With that considered and the aero dynamics and narrow design, I'd like to give her a go.

I may be totally wrong, but I really want to know.

BGTRD57 and Junkhead like this.
  10. May 20, 2020 at 12:41 AM
    4x4erik

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Vehicle:

Also, I'm no longer looking at the top two trailers. On the first page near the bottom I updated I'm looking at two different model bunkhouse Falcon trailers. I posted pictures of there specs.

The weight is 3775 dry, or 4200 dry.

Why is it that I feel like if you add 1500 pounds to that with gear/water/etc you get 5275...

4200 with 1500 pounds added (gear/water/etc) your still low at 5700.

Both still quite a bit lower than the max tow on a Tacoma.

Yup, I'm gonna rent one. I'll let you all know whatever ends up happening.

11. May 20, 2020 at 12:43 AM
    4x4erik

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Vehicle:
    I think this may actually be one of the best points on here. I have no expectations to go over 65 with the trailers. I think many people want to tow over 65 mph and really I don't think most trailers are designed for that. You can do it with a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck, but I still don't think the trailers are really designed for that.

Great looking truck and boat.

TacoManOne likes this.
  12. May 20, 2020 at 1:10 AM
    abodyjoe

abodyjoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joe
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma double cab TRD Offroad. quicksand in color
    i try to maintain 55-65mph.. i towed across rt 80 through pa and then from nj to maine and back with it. hills yes but nothing extreme like other parts of the country.. i can say the truck never lost enough power to make me really slow down going up inclines but at times to maintain 55-65 mph it would rev as high as 5500 rpm. you also need to be aware when that incline is coming so you can kinda get a running start. can it do it? yes but its sure working that lil engine to death. i use a husky centerline WDH that has anti sway built into it ( like many other brands) and it never felt unsafe in turns or windy conditions. ofcourse you have to drive like you have 5000 pounds behind you..lol. look if you plan on just taking a 102 hour trip your fine. but when you start going 10+ hours away with it is when it kinda wears you out. like i said i never realized how much towing with that lil truck wore me out until i got the GMC. the GMC tows it like nothing.. i mean you know its there but i can use cruise control with it and actually be up to speed in under 5 miles..lol its just a lot more comfortable towing with the bigger truck in my opinion...
    the trailers you posted are more aerodynamic then my cinder block i agree but they are nowhere near insanely aerodynamic. you will still know that weight is back there big time, then you still have the cross winds... personally i don't think i'd want to go over 3500 pounds loaded with a tacoma if i had to do it over.... like i said i loved the tacoms but its just not suited to ne a tow vehicle for those weights in my opinion..

4x4erik[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  13. May 20, 2020 at 1:14 AM
    abodyjoe

abodyjoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joe
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma double cab TRD Offroad. quicksand in color

like i said my trailer is 3750 empty and about 5500 loaded.. it was too heavy for my tacoma in my opinion..

i think you are smart to rent first to see. take it on the longest trip ya can. a little 1-2 hour trip you'll be like this is ok but go longer (maube 5-6 hours) and you'll see what i'm talking about.. make sure you find a hilly area to take it too...

i recommend this brake controller.. plug and p[lay with the proper pig tail. https://www.amazon.com/TEKONSHA-CONTROL-HARNESS-LANDCRUISER-CONTROLLER/dp/B007O5GXOG

4x4erik[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  14. May 20, 2020 at 1:45 AM
    OnHartung'sRoad

OnHartung'sRoad -So glad I didn't take the other...

Member:
    Somewhere in the Mojave Desert...
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma OR 4x4 (formerly 2002 OR 4x4, 1995 4x4 4Runner, 1985 4x4 Toy PU) ... and RIP’s (rust in pieces) to a Bronco II 4x4 & S10 Blazer 4x4
  15. May 20, 2020 at 6:58 AM
    RX1cobra

RX1cobra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    19 OR
    Good idea to rent first. Only thing I'd say as far as tongue weight I wouldn't trust that number they give. Figure 10% (at least) of the loaded trailer weight. So if you're at 5700 pounds loaded that's 570 tongue weight plus the weight of the weight distributing hitch setup. You're closer to 650 pounds at that point.

You can probably still eek in. Also you can try to tow with the water tank empty to get rid of some of the added weight. Just need to plan to be able to fill it up at or near your destination.

I haven't towed with my Taco yet but I had a thousand pounds (gravel and retaining wall bricks) in the bed 4 times last week. You know that weight is there. Hit the bumpstops at the slightest dip in the road. I was only going a few miles on the back roads though.

Junkhead and 4x4erik[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  16. May 20, 2020 at 7:01 AM
    4x4erik

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Vehicle:

Thanks for the input! Why wouldn't you trust their tongue weight numbers?

17. May 20, 2020 at 7:02 AM
    4x4erik

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Vehicle:
    This is awesome. Thank you. I was hoping for something plug and play

18. May 20, 2020 at 7:13 AM
    4x4erik

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Vehicle:
    Holy smokes! So all our trucks went through this test for them to get our max tow rating?

By the way everyone, I don't want to miss inform anyone who has read this thread. The max Tow rating of my truck, or yours if you own the same spec, is 6400 LBS. I said 6800Lbs earlier, but that would only be if my truck was 2wd.

I own a 2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Short bed 4x4- 6400# max tow. If you'd like more information I will attach a link below.

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2019/10/breaking-down-the-2020-toyota-tacomas-towing-capacities.html

TacoManOne[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. May 20, 2020 at 7:18 AM
    4x4erik

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Vehicle:

Which trailer are you saying is alot for our truck? I agree that the Forest River in my original post is, but all the Travel Lite Falcon Trailers I think are gonna work out great.

I'm gonna agree to disagree until I try it myself. I think these Travel Lite Falcons are gonna tow like a dream when combined with our trucks. I can tell you one thing, I'm gonna find out. If I'm wrong, it won't be the first time

Unfortunately I have to wait until I PCS back to the states to start testing my theories. When I do, I'll post pics and update this forum. Until then, I really hope someone comments who's towed a Travel Lite Falcon with their Tacoma.

20. May 20, 2020 at 8:01 AM
    RX1cobra

RX1cobra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    19 OR
    They're taking 11% of dry weight to get their quoted tongue weight. You need to add that same 11% to any additional weight added to the trailer. May not seem like a lot but add 1500 pounds and that's 150+ more in tongue weight.

You can also help you payload a little by adding crap (luggage, etc.) to the trailer instead of the truck. You only get hit with a 10%ish penalty in payload instead of the full amount. But again if you're cutting it that close that you need to do that it's probably too much trailer. Good luck and let us know how the rental goes.

specter208 and abodyjoe like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top