1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing with stock rear bumper

Discussion in 'Towing' started by rbishopp, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Nov 11, 2011 at 7:26 AM
    rbishopp

rbishopp [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Webster, NY
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD Reg cab Taco. Keepin it simple.
    So far I've added an Advance folding bed cover and since removed it. Gave it to my son in Maine, he has an 05 2wd. GT perfect fit seat covers. Weathertech floor mats and window vent visors. Waag center brush/grill guard. Hose clamp tailgate mod. Turned off the seat belt chime. Added Ultra-Gauge. Trailer hitch. Softopper. Replaced sun visors with slide out style. Toyota bed extender. Had Firestone Destinations and now Michelin LTX AT2 in stock size. More mods to come; Fog lights, locking storage in bed, intermittent wipers. Now looking for Radio/HU upgrade. and maybe a lift way down the road.
    Anyone tow a light trailer with their stock bumper.

I have an 09 reg cab 4cyl manual and no tow package. I was given a small boat and I'm looking for a trailer to put it on. I have towing experience but when I bought my new tacoma I never expected to tow again.
    I can add the wiring easy enough but I need to keep cost as low as possible so thats why I'm considering just a ball on the bumper and coming up with chain attachments someplace.
    The boat is a little 12ft aluminum feather craft and the ideal trailer is out there The whole set up shouldn't weigh more that 1000 pounds if even that much.

So anyone just using their bumper to tow ???

:notsure:

2. Nov 11, 2011 at 7:39 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Grab a used original equipment hitch for the most strength and cheapest price. They usually go for $100 on here. The aftermarket hitches don't even compare to the OE tow package hitches. The OE hitches tie the whole frame and bumper together where aftermarket hitches don't add any support for the bumper.

I wouldn't tow anything utilizing the bumper and I wouldn't ever buy a aftermarket one.
    Get under your truck and look at the mounting for the bumper. It's scary - just 2 pieces of 1/8" stamped steel.

3. Nov 11, 2011 at 7:47 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    While that trailer wouldn't be too heavy for bumper towing. The problem you run into with the Tacoma is that the hitch is too high. You pretty much need a drop hitch to keep the trailer level.

Here's mine with a 4.5" drop hitch towing my 16' john boat. Granted I have a 2" lift in the back I still needed to drop it pretty far to get the trailer level

2011-05-07130603_8693026323a8a4a93ba9877b2cd259733406a928.jpg

4. Nov 11, 2011 at 8:27 AM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 XMF - Extreme Mexican Food fo Life!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    4Runnerzzz
    Originally not Expo AF! Kinda Expo AF now...lame.
    Other than the rake of the trailer I'd have no problems doing that.

Products Discussed in

To Top