1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing with the Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bdemick, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Jun 2, 2012 at 10:31 AM
    bdemick

bdemick [OP] Member

Member:
    Federal Way, WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Dbl.Cab 4x4 TRD
    I own a 2006 Tacoma double cab TRD 4x4, 4.0 litre V6 with tow package. We recently purchased a 2012 Keystone Passport 2650BH travel trailer. The trailer is 26' long, weighs 4960 lbs. empty. This trailer has a spread axel design where the axels are spaced 10" further apart than most other trailers to better distribute weight and help control sway. Loaded for camping the trailer weighs about 5700 lbs. or so and I use a 4 point Equal-i-zer brand sway control hitch and a Prodigy P2 brake controller. With two adults in the Tacoma, the trailer tows quite nicly with no sway or bounce. I use 4th gear and at 60 mph I'm turning 2500 rpm. Our last trip was out to the coast with moderate grades to climb and lots of winding, twisting roads. The Tacoma is "working" moderatly hard, but at no time does it feel unsafe. Pleasently happy with the way it tows this large trailer so far. By the way, I've been averaging 11.75 mpg so far, but that was expected.

2. Jun 2, 2012 at 10:32 AM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    Welcome. Its bigger than I would haul with my Tacoma, but at least you're set up with the proper equipment.

3. Jun 3, 2012 at 11:02 AM
    bdemick

bdemick [OP] Member

Member:
    Federal Way, WA
    Vehicle:
    Yes, a trailer of this size & weight is quite a load for a pickup the size of a Tacoma, but it seems to tow it OK. I'm going to evaluate how well it tows over the summer and then decide if I need to move up to a full size pickup. I think the Passports spread axel design, a good equalizer hitch & brake controler help the Tacoma tow this much of a load. I really like my Tacoma for everyday work & travel and I would hate to upgrade to a full-size just to tow a trailer 6 or 7 times a year, but I will not sacrifice safety if I think it's too much load for the Tacoma to haul.

4. May 28, 2013 at 6:25 PM
    bdemick

bdemick [OP] Member

Member:
    Federal Way, WA
    Vehicle:
    Just completed my first trip of my second year towing a Keystone Passport 2650BH travel trailer out to the coast in Washington State. While not an ideal tow vehicle for a trailer the size & weight of this, the Tacoma does a pretty good job! Always feels safe with no sway or bounce and on this trip with only a few moderate inclines I'm averaging about 11.5 mpg. I love the Tacoma for everyday use and I'm quite pleased about the way it hauls my trailer the 6 to 7 times per year that I need it to.
    I have a 2006 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 Short Bed, automatic V6 with Tow Package and with two adults I tow a Keystone Passport 2650BH 26ft travel trailer. The trailer weighs 4960lbs unloaded and between 5600 & 5800 lbs loaded. I use an Equal-I-zer Brand 4 point weight distribution hitch with built in sway control and a Prodigy P2 brake controller. While this is quite a load for the Tacoma at no time does it feel unsafe, sway or bounce. I tow in 4th gear and at 60 mph I'm turning 2500 rpm. At inclines I drop into 3rd gear and turn 3500 rpm. My fuel mileage takes a big hit and I get between 10.5 and 11.75 mpg depending on inclines and road conditions. Not the ideal tow vehicle for a trailer this size, but it does an OK job. Just take your time and don't be in a hurry! The Tacoma is a beast!
    Attached Thumbnails[​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  5. May 28, 2013 at 7:07 PM
    13Greysled

13Greysled Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    13' Taco
    Tint
    Makes the tacoma look small lol

6. May 28, 2013 at 7:16 PM
    Supra TT

Supra TT Supercharged Lifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R Supercharged
    Supercharged on One Tons
    I tow with my 2nd gen.. I am pretty sure I am at the maximum recommended weight +/- a few maybe... It does great on flatland. Last year I took it to the mountains in Ky and I have a new view on how it tows.

I will say it did OK on towing through the mountains, it's no diesel that's for sure. But what really sent chills down mine spine was when I had to come to any abrupt stop.... IN THE RAIN. FUCK THAT. The truck just cannot handle the stopping power in abnormal conditions in the hills. I was scared to ever have to stop again suddenly...

Products Discussed in

To Top