1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing without trailer brakes

Discussion in 'Towing' started by JNG, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Dec 22, 2018 at 5:45 AM
    JNG

JNG [OP] Shitposter extraordinaire

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver TRD OR DCSB 4x4 AT P&T
    Irregardless of of trim level, tow package or not, Toyota claims the maximum trailer gvwr WITHOUT trailer brakes for the Tacoma is 1000#. Well here in Illinois the the legal limit for trailers without brakes is 3000#. While I won't say that there are no trailers under this limit WITH trailer brakes, I will say it is rare here in Illinois. I own 3 such trailers. None have brakes. No one I know with a trailer under 3000# gvwr has trailer brakes of any kind. Not saying it's smart or right but that's the way it is. This is flatland prairie country, no mountains. The heaviest gvwr I pull is 2500# fully loaded. This is a 16' deep v fishing boat. Most of the time I pull the smaller boat and trailer that weighs in at roughly 1200# fully loaded. The third trailer is a 5x10 utility trailer that has a max gvwr of 2000#. I use it maybe twice a year. I also don't pull trailers faster than 55-60 mph ( most small trailer tires are not rated for more than that). Would it be unsafe to pull these trailers with a Tacoma WITHOUT trailer brakes? It has not been with the 1/2 ton pickups I've owned over the last 2+ decades but these have been larger vehicles than the Tacoma is.

2. Dec 22, 2018 at 6:00 AM
    projectmoonlite

projectmoonlite Taco noob

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Truck
    You'll be fine, especially on flat land. I pull a similar watercraft as you and I'm in Houston which is pretty flat. No problem with brakes other than the fact you'll increase your stopping distance by a little (which is a given).

3. Dec 22, 2018 at 6:05 AM
    Mtn Mike

Mtn Mike Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR AC
    It depends how you define "unsafe". It sounds like you've got plenty of towing experience and realize that you'll need a longer stopping distance with a heavier trailer. The standard answer is that you should go with Toyota's recommendation. If you were ever in an accident you could be held liable if your equipment wasn't legal.

I regularly tow 2000 lbs comfortably without brakes. But I have a 3500 lb cargo trailer conversion. I've towed it with and without brakes and I didn't feel safe on the highway without brakes.

In my area I don't think WA state patrol goes around and checks non-commercial trailers for safety. Illinois is probably different.

4. Dec 22, 2018 at 6:43 AM
    JNG

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Illinois does not have vehicle inspections like a few states do. The city of Chicago might, I don't know as I avoid Chicago at all costs, but the state does not. The state law clearly states 3000# trailer gvwr is the cutoff for trailer brakes. Toyota can't make law. If I am under the 3000# limit I don't see how I can be liable for that and that alone. In all the years I've lived here I have never heard of any non commercial trailer inspections. Yes I do have a lot of experience pulling trailers. Hence the conservative practice of going slower when towing. Our 4 lane freeways have a 70 mph speed limit. I would NEVER tow anything with any pickup with or without brakes ever at 70 mph or faster. Good luck stopping in that scenario. I also don't think it's wise to pull a trailer that weighs more than the tow vehicle in non commercial applications. But that's just me.

5. Dec 22, 2018 at 7:25 AM
    Mtn Mike

Mtn Mike Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR AC
    I'm not telling you what to do. I'm sure you're safe. Hell, I tow without brakes all the time. But if it came down to defending yourself in a lawsuit, the manufacture's written specifications for your vehicle would be more important than a state law that covers all vehicles.

6. Dec 22, 2018 at 7:55 AM
    JNG

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Hmmmmmm......I think I know my answer now. It's this SAE J2807 standard. Toyota has complied with this for years apparently. The last two trucks I purchased new did not. Apparently Ford and GMC now do comply. I downloaded a current owners manual for GM. For example a modern version of my current truck ( older GMC 1500 4x4 with a 3.73 rearend ) can only tow 2000# without trailer brakes now. The max weight with brakes is about the same. When I bought mine the manual just stated that trailer brakes were recommended and to follow state laws. So I believe common sense would dictate that what I pull would be OK in a Tacoma with a sane conservative driver.

Mtn Mike likes this.
  7. Dec 8, 2023 at 8:13 AM
    mic_sierra

mic_sierra Toshiba HDDVD is the future

Member:
    Elsewhere
    Vehicle:
    '21 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4 Auto
    Reviving this thread to add data to OP's initial claim. Manual is for a '21 TRD Sport but the unbraked weight is the same for all Taco trim packages (at least for my year -- maybe for all 3rd gens?). This question came up in a new thread today and I found this thread doing some research. Manual supports OP's 1000# unbraked capacity statement. Including the image for reference since I had it already for the other thread. One love.

1.png

8. Dec 8, 2023 at 8:30 AM
    YF_Ryan

YF_Ryan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Icon Coil Overs. Deaver U402 Stage 3 Leafs w/ Bilstein 5160s. ARB Deluxe Bull Bar. Fuel Boost wheels w/ Wrangler Duratracs. Brute Force Fab Sliders & HC Rear Bumper w/swingout
    I like the thing about gooseneck towing... it' doesn't say you can't do it, just that they don't "recommend" it!

9. Dec 8, 2023 at 11:15 AM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    N. Calif. The Twilight Zone
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD double cab 4x4, Barcelona Red
    I have a 3500lb (actually somewhere between 3200 to 3500lbs depending on weight of gear and fuel aboard) boat/trailer unbraked. I’ve towed it for 10 years with my Taco and previously with my Tundra. I have had no problems towing or stopping. Actually it stops pretty damn good. I am within state law guidelines. Would it be better to have brakes? Of course it would. If I felt it wasn’t safe Id put brakes on.

10. Dec 8, 2023 at 11:18 AM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    N. Calif. The Twilight Zone
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD double cab 4x4, Barcelona Red
    Just realized this is a 5+ year old thread. WTF?

11. Dec 8, 2023 at 11:52 AM
    Marshall R

Marshall R Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marshall
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD double cab
    none
    I don't think I've ever seen a 2990 lb GVWR utility trailer that even had brakes. In most states brakes aren't required until you reach 3000 lbs. That is why you see a lot of trailers rated at 2990 lbs. The trailers could easily handle quite a bit more weight, but if the manufacturer rates it for 3000+ they have to have brakes on them.

I've pulled 3000+ my whole life with no trailer brakes. A Tacoma does just fine with that.

Sprig likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top