1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyo Open Country R/T tires... Anyone else have problems with these tires? Flat Spotting?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by bren5279, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Oct 11, 2018 at 9:57 AM
    bren5279

bren5279 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendon
    new bern NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Black Tacoma TRD Long Travel Supercharged
    TRD Supercharger Dirt King 14" Long Travel Kit Pro Comp 6" lift Fox dual rate 2.5" remote res front coil carriers Fox triple bypass 2.5" remote res front shocks Fox 12" 2.5" Remote Res. Shocks DSC adjusters (flutter shim stacks) ARB Lockers F+R 4.88 Regear F+R Shackle flip kit Bamf tall shock mount Demello Offroad Front Bumper Smittybilt Winchs F+R Method beadlock 17x9 Rims 37" Open country R/T tires Baja fiberglass Front Fenders Baja Fiberglass Rear Fenders Bulletproof Fab Front Grill Air Intake Reroute High Lift Jack Pro Comp Skid Plate KB Voodo Short Bed Rack CVT Cascadia Rooftop Tent
    Hey Guys,

Anyone out there running Toyo R/Ts? I recently got new 37"s all the way around and of the 4 Ive gotten, 3 are shaking like a MF due to off concentricity (hopping) and 2 actually are side to side wobble. And no its not the rims or hubs, last tires were fine.

Yes I know 37s are very hard to balance, but they actually balanced fine. Both tire places Ive been to said they balanced fine, its literally just the fact the tire is off center. 3/4 tires too. Talk about crappy quality >.<

I'm running balance beads now too to help but its still just not enough.

Also, is it just me or do these things flat spot (from parking overnight) like crazy? Mine take a full 15-20 minutes of driving to un-flat spot.

2. Oct 12, 2018 at 5:59 AM
    Collinmcd99

Collinmcd99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2015 gray Tacoma TRD off road
    Well i just put R/T’s on my truck just yesterday so i hope I don’t run into that problem. Are they flat spots or is the tire cupping? Is it front and back? If it’s front and they are cupping it could be an alignment issue. But I’ve never heard tired flat spotting over night that’s a new one.

3. Oct 12, 2018 at 6:06 AM
    Micatom33

Micatom33 Under the Truck with Beer!

Member:
    Santa Cruz,CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 BSP DCSB
    never had any of these problems with this tire I am on my second set - had 265's 1st time and now on 285's I like this tire and it has served me well though many different terrains. Have not noticed any flat spots and I am not driving it as much as I used to- sits for a week at a time-

4. Oct 12, 2018 at 6:06 AM
    bren5279

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendon
    new bern NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD Supercharger Dirt King 14" Long Travel Kit Pro Comp 6" lift Fox dual rate 2.5" remote res front coil carriers Fox triple bypass 2.5" remote res front shocks Fox 12" 2.5" Remote Res. Shocks DSC adjusters (flutter shim stacks) ARB Lockers F+R 4.88 Regear F+R Shackle flip kit Bamf tall shock mount Demello Offroad Front Bumper Smittybilt Winchs F+R Method beadlock 17x9 Rims 37" Open country R/T tires Baja fiberglass Front Fenders Baja Fiberglass Rear Fenders Bulletproof Fab Front Grill Air Intake Reroute High Lift Jack Pro Comp Skid Plate KB Voodo Short Bed Rack CVT Cascadia Rooftop Tent
    By flat spotting I don't mean permanent wear (Like as if you were to lock the breaks and slide to wear down a small flat spot, I mean temporary deformation due to the weight of the truck pushing down on the tires on a flat ground, and due to it being rubber, taking a while for it to flex back in the spot it was contacting the ground.

5. Oct 12, 2018 at 6:10 AM
    PCTaco

PCTaco 36 hour Build

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    New Columbia, PA
    Vehicle:
    '18 Access Cab TRD Offroad RIP '13
    Working on it
    Call toyo.

6. Oct 12, 2018 at 6:12 AM
    Collinmcd99

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    I definitely Understand what you mean but I’ve never heard of that happening before does it happen when it is very hot outside or at all temperatures? And people put these tires on 4 tone trucks Tacoma’s are fairly light. And what tire pressure are you running maybe that might have something to do with it.

7. Oct 12, 2018 at 6:15 AM
    bren5279

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendon
    new bern NC
    Vehicle:
    I'm running method beadlocks so they don't warrant the tires since its technically an offroad only rim (dumb, because the only reason it is is due to the rim lock bolts style) so Toyo wont do anything.

Running 28 front 26 rear. If I run any higher the centers wear out.

Weirdly enough they didn't start off thaaat bad, but they've gotten worse as a little treads worn down.

8. Oct 12, 2018 at 6:19 AM
    Collinmcd99

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    $hit really the centers wear out with anything higher that sounds crappy i think the tire shop that put mine on put factory pressure in the tires and i believe that’s 35 psi. I ran 40 in my old ko2s and those wore in the center pretty bad but if i didnt run 40 i was getting under steer in the front end and it was wearing away the sidewall.

9. Oct 12, 2018 at 6:31 AM
    Collinmcd99

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Well i was Totally wrong 35 psi isn’t the factory tire pressure but i wasn’t running factory tire size with the ko2s they were 275’s so i ran Them at 35 then the fronts at 40psi 7BE5AB5B-0C31-40D3-8EAD-A0B8CD288178.jpg

10. Oct 12, 2018 at 6:34 AM
    bren5279

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendon
    new bern NC
    Vehicle:
    I just adjusted the PSIs until they wore evenly. But I might say screw it and bump it up a bit to reduce the flat spotting effect.

I'm running balancing beads, wondering if they may actually be causing the issue to get worse instead of helping...

11. Oct 12, 2018 at 7:02 AM
    gilligoon

gilligoon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Goon
    Watoosa Ridge, GA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand TRD OR DCSB
    Bilstein, ICON, Mobtown, Southern Style, Warn, SOS, Nitto, ARE, Northstar
    Were the wheels balanced hub-centric or lug-centric?

12. Oct 12, 2018 at 7:04 AM
    bren5279

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendon
    new bern NC
    Vehicle:
    Not sure, but when you spin the wheel on the truck (hub centric wheels and rims aren't moving up and down) the actual tire hops up and down (and 2 side to side) as if they are non-concentric.

13. Oct 12, 2018 at 7:12 AM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    Have you tried un-bolting the bead rings and adjusting and then tightening the bolts back up? I cant help but think the ring could be clamping them slightly off from centered and causing some of the issue? I find it somewhat hard to believe that Toyo's would be that out of round, so maybe it's mounted to the beadlock off centered.
    What is your method of tightening the clamping rings also? I've found a star pattern to get them started, then torqued around and around in circles has worked well for me.

Collinmcd99, gilligoon and NateMob like this.
  14. Oct 12, 2018 at 7:14 AM
    NateMob

NateMob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    South Ogden
    Vehicle:
    1997 Land Cruiser
    Triple Locked
    If they are truly out of round, thats a manufacturing defect. Plain and simple. If toyo really wont do shit to help you because they are currently mounted to beadlocks work out a deal with a local tire shop to mount them on a regular set of wheels to get them replaced for you under warranty. Get the new tires and start over with the methods. No way in hell i'm shelling out big bucks for mis-shaped tires! Toyo and Nitto have some of the best tire manufacturing tech there is so i'm surprised to see this.

Collinmcd99 likes this.
  15. Oct 12, 2018 at 7:27 AM
    bren5279

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendon
    new bern NC
    Vehicle:
    Ok thanks for the suggestions guys, Ill give that a try.

Yeah Id be tempted to believe it was mismounted, but I though with beadlocks that wasn't really possible...?

Collinmcd99 likes this.
  16. Oct 15, 2018 at 5:41 PM
    bren5279

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendon
    new bern NC
    Vehicle:
    what psi were you running? I think Im running closer to 24psi. I think if the truck was heavier Id be able to run higher pressure without the centers wearing out so fast...

But anyway, I have an appointment with the tire place Wednesday to get a road force tire balancing. Hopefully that helps.

17. Oct 20, 2018 at 6:57 PM
    bren5279

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendon
    new bern NC
    Vehicle:
    Alright guys, I went to a different shop and had the guys there balance the tires very meticulously. Turns out, the balancing beads were actually causing the problem! They literally caked up inside the wheels. I had a feeling that those tiny little things were going to be a problem. To anyone thinking of using the small balancing beads (the ones that are a bit bigger than a grain of salt) don't do it!!

Jmad1997 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top