1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota CRC Treatment- 2 questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by .Q., Oct 9, 2020.

1. Oct 9, 2020 at 12:14 PM
    .Q.

.Q. [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Stowe, VT
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    Hi all,

My truck recently had the Toyota CRC treatment done to it free of charge under the CRC warranty. I have two questions about the treatment...

1- The dealer applied the white goop as per the normal CRC warranty treatment. It appears that the goop doesn't actually dry to a hard substance though, rather, it stays wet and goopy. How will this goop stand up to an undercoat power washing?? Won't the power washer just wash off all this white goop??

2- The dealer also installed the two large frame plugs on both sides of the frame. The driver side plug fits nicely without any gaps, but the passenger side plug doesn't fit as snug and has a small gap where it meets the side of the frame. Looks like they applied some white goop to the area where the frame is exposed via the gap. Won't that gap allow intrusion of salty briny water from the winter roads and essentially trap it in there now?? I have attached a picture for reference (sorry for the poor quality... hard to get a good shot lying under the truck).

Thanks!!

Passenger plug.jpg

2. Oct 9, 2020 at 12:20 PM
    G3Fab

G3Fab Eric @ G3 Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Northern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD Off Road DC
    I had the treatment done to mine a few months ago. The white wax stuff will harden up over time. Mine is still a little soft to the touch but feels like cured RTV. I had to cut the passenger side cap to get my RCI skid re-installed. The inside of the frame it coated pretty thick with that stuff. Seems like it should hold up well. Keep in mind though, this is just for prevention. It doesn't fix or eliminate anything. I'm not so concerned about water getting in there. My concern is when I go to do a cab mount re-locate or weld on some sliders and what the heat might do to the goo. I have not noticed anything from washing the underside yet.

3. Oct 9, 2020 at 12:40 PM
    spitdog

spitdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab V6 4x4 SR5 MGM
    The majority of the goop is inside the frame to protect it from rusting from the inside. A power washer would probably not effect the inside goop. The goop on the outside is just goop that eased out, a power washer would remove that. The goop does nothing to protect the exterior frame, you should be proactive and protect that yourself.

salt and brine will get everywhere that’s not protected and eventually corrosion will appear. So it’s in you best interest to get it the habit of undercoating your frame every fall. Consider it a standard maintenance procedure.

BINK05TRD and SR-71A like this.
  4. Oct 9, 2020 at 1:59 PM
    TodayWasTHeDaY

TodayWasTHeDaY Hoser

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB SC M/T TRD Sport
    The goop still drips out of my frame 8 months later. Never hardened and it's smaller amounts but still... Been parking in my dusty back alley all this time.

5. Oct 10, 2020 at 6:00 AM
    G3Fab

G3Fab Eric @ G3 Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Northern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD Off Road DC
    Wonder why yours would be different than mine?

Canadian goop perhaps? Lol. Maybe you got the really good stuff!

TodayWasTHeDaY likes this.
  6. Oct 10, 2020 at 6:09 AM
    TodayWasTHeDaY

TodayWasTHeDaY Hoser

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    No idea. Maybe they mix the wax and oil themselves and got the ratio wrong.

7. Oct 10, 2020 at 12:05 PM
    KYDeer

KYDeer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Interesting.... I just picked mine up from having it done, I jumped on here because I became suspect, because from the outside, I saw no signs of it. Now I guess I need to try and look underneath, or look for drips LOL.

8. Oct 10, 2020 at 12:15 PM
    TodayWasTHeDaY

TodayWasTHeDaY Hoser

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    Just watch where you park for a while if you don't want oily wax blobs on your driveway (or wherever). See how it goes.

For me it's always worse on a hot day or when driving lots.

I pre-wipe seepage from my frame if I'm visiting someone and don't want to leave oily blobs behind.

KYDeer[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Jul 4, 2021 at 8:34 AM
    jeffwv

jeffwv Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 black Tacoma
    To put it mildly, the CRC applied to my Tacoma under this service plan is a fucking joke. Five days later and it is as wet the day it was applied, after 80 degree plus days parked on blacktop. They put the caps on the front of the frame but the gaps are so large they are worthless and NOTHING was sprayed inside the front frame as it was supposed to be done per the tech sheet for this service plan. My five year old could have slopped this shit on better than the mechanics at the dealership.

20210704_112530.jpg
    20210704_112604.jpg

10. Jul 4, 2021 at 8:44 AM
    jeffwv

jeffwv Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 black Tacoma
    "So it’s in you best interest to get it the habit of undercoating your frame every fall. Consider it a standard maintenance procedure."

Really? We have to accept that Toyota puts out a defective product in the frame? I've had several cars/trucks in my life, including a Ford Ranger and a Chevy Silverado that both lasted over 20 years before I sold them off, and neither had any frame rust issues. A 1957 Chevy I've owned for 9 years had dealer undercoating applied in 1957 and to this day, after over 200,000 miles in northeast driving conditions year round, there is still little evidence of any frame rust.

Changing oil, inspecting/replacing brakes, tires, etc. are "standard maintenance procedures" but yearly undercoating a truck frame is? You may be willing to accept Toyota's mediocrity, but owners deserve better than what is clearly a crap product.

11. Jul 4, 2021 at 10:24 AM
    captaintofuburger

captaintofuburger Well-Known Member

Member:
    2011 Base 4wd 4banger
    I think "undercoating" is getting thrown pretty loose, which may be why there is some confusion? I would not just go out and grab a can of rubberized undercoating and put it on my truck. Unless you meticulously inspect it, I'm on camp side of "that's how you get rust". Something like fluid flim etc, totally different story.

What vehicle would totally change my mind on a direction to take as well. But since we are just talking about tacomas, I'm not going to tangent off on older vehicles and drip-less oil sprays etc. (* until/unless toyota starts boxing frames again...)

12. Jul 4, 2021 at 10:28 AM
    EricT

EricT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '09 4x4 shortbed TRD Sport
    Dumb guy here, what's the CRC stand for?

13. Jul 4, 2021 at 10:30 AM
    TodayWasTHeDaY

TodayWasTHeDaY Hoser

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    Corrosion resistant coating

EricT[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Jul 4, 2021 at 10:32 AM
    EricT

EricT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '09 4x4 shortbed TRD Sport
    TY sir! I live out in AZ so not been an issue for me yet. Still for a 10 year old truck the light amount of frame rust I do have is ehhhh. Still not awesome.

15. Jul 4, 2021 at 10:42 AM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Full disclosure: I work in Service at a Toyota dealership. That said, I see nothing wrong with the application based on the pics that you sent. You state that "NOTHING was sprayed inside the front frame as it was supposed to be done per the tech sheet for this service plan." Only the insides of the box sections of the frame get the coating because that's the major area of concern. You appear to be complaining about the exposed areas in the C sections of the frame. They do not get coated as part of this program.

As for it still being wet after the application, that's by design. Staying wet and pliable allows the coating to effectively prevent corrosion. (Instead of drying and flaking off like conventional rubberized undercoating.) If the coating stayed like that in an exposed area, that would be another issue. But since the coating is only inside the box sections, it won't get washed off.

My bay is directly across from the bay where our trained technician does this process. It's not a lot of fun and he does a great job. (He did my truck.) People should learn more about the actual application before they throw stones.

wi_taco, Hook78 and spitdog like this.
  16. Jul 4, 2021 at 11:16 AM
    spitdog

spitdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab V6 4x4 SR5 MGM

There’s no less than a thousand post and pics of the crc, many pics just like yours. Your evidently clueless about the topic and probably only showed up here to bitch. Next time have your 5yr old kid do a little search for you and maybe things won’t be such a surprise.

wi_taco likes this.
  17. Jul 4, 2021 at 2:10 PM
    captaintofuburger

Member:
    2011 Base 4wd 4banger
    Can literally google "undercoating" and in the top 5 or so results.....

https://avalonking.com/blog/undercoating-the-good-the-bad-and-the-rusty/
    That ironically has this video....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA33q0N3qRY&t=3s

My mix up on dripless. I confuse that with... ugh... something else. Normally I think of it in context of injection. Where if you have a car, and let's just say there's a huge air gap in the C pillar or something. Pop a hole, and atomize up some shit to cover it. I forget what that one is. No, it's not foam, it doesn't fill it, it's a thin coating.

Edit: instead of typing more. And this is a bit OT, but.... why I never use rubberized. In a snow state where instead of plowing, throwing salt on the road is how we decided to spend less.... I just have a car wash monthly membership thing. I may get a bit lazy in the summer, but every week all winter, she goes through. Funny to watch people bolt into the wash so the underwash is more or less skipped, where as I creep over it, to let it hose down the undercarriage as much as possible. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXvl9nt57Kg

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
  18. Jul 4, 2021 at 2:26 PM
    jburner

jburner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD DCSB Black
    This stuff seems to expand more and ooze out of the holes of the frame when it gets warmer outside. I assume that's a good thing meaning that it moves into the parts of the frame that need it and stays there for the colder months. That said, I'm not counting on this alone saving my frame. Woolwax or Fluid Film regular coats seem to be the key to keeping the frame in tip top "southern" condition if you are in the colder climate states.

wi_taco likes this.
  19. Jul 4, 2021 at 2:35 PM
    captaintofuburger

Member:
    2011 Base 4wd 4banger
    Totally agree. But, if toyota wants to do it, and if someday down the road my frame has to be replaced and I don't have to pay for it, I guess I don't really care what the hell they want to do to it. Paint it pink for all I care if that's what would cover me.

Everything breaks, everything rots / dies, and there is no mechanic in a bottle solution to anything for anything in general. Take care of your equipment if you want it to last. Alternatively, realize when it's time to chuck it in the fuck it bucket, beat the living tar out of something, spend as little money possible, and run it into the ground. Did that with my 2nd to last car. Despite "only" being 12 years old, I did abandon it in a parking lot. Lucky for me, it was a short walk home, unlucky for me, I was leaving the grocery store parking lot after obviously just shopping... then the tell tale sound of "yup, we are no longer running on backing plates and that's a popped piston" sound occurred.

Dalegribble02 likes this.
  20. Jul 4, 2021 at 3:35 PM
    jeffwv

jeffwv Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 black Tacoma
    re-read my post; they put nothing in the boxed section except and inch or two around the front caps they put on; i removed both to inspect and nothing in there; what do i have to do, wait a year for this crap to dry on the exposed parts; there is already road dirt adhering to that shit just driving it home from the dealer and now 5 days later as wet as ever; stone are appropriately thrown when a junk rusted frame product needs "routine maintenance"

Products Discussed in

To Top