1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota dealership crashed my tacoma into a wall

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 911turbo, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Oct 16, 2020 at 6:21 PM
    nagorb

nagorb Should be a dang perma mod

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2001 dbl cab 4x4
    How would you accomplish this?

Jimmyh, Too Stroked and Toyko Joe like this.
  2. Oct 16, 2020 at 6:48 PM
    JMcFly

JMcFly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    My ten followers on twitter will hear about this!

3. Oct 16, 2020 at 8:53 PM
    azzwethinkweiz

azzwethinkweiz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 DCSB V6 6-Spd, TRD OR, Tow Package
    If I were you I'd call my insurance and have them take care of it. Gotta be way better than having to go back and forth with the dealer and hoping they do the right thing. You pay for insurance to take care of things like this so you don't have to deal with the headache. Your insurance would likely be able to get the dealer to cover your deductible as well as having it fixed somewhere that is not this dealer. Its the least they could do. Filing a claim against your vehicle sucks but shit happens, just my opinion though... either way, good luck! Just don't be one of those guys that demands a brand new truck for your troubles (Not trying to be a dealership apologist but seen some crazies on here wanting a new vehicle from a dealer over less damage lol)

4. Oct 16, 2020 at 9:42 PM
    Island Cruiser

Island Cruiser TVita

Member:
    Kauai
    Vehicle:
    Baja
    Idk man, a dealership would have a difficult time arguing with someone who has 10 Twitter followers. I mean if it were 9 followers they might give him a base Corolla. But 10?? That’s double digits man lol
    :rofl:

Jimmyh likes this.
  5. Oct 16, 2020 at 10:33 PM
    TexasWhiteIce

TexasWhiteIce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2022 White DCLB SR5 - Blackout
    OMG the advice on this thread is beyond $%#*&....... why the heck would OP call his own insurance in this case? I cannot believe some people are saying “shit happens” just use your own insurance and let the dealership off the hook....seriously?

Not just that but the dealership should be giving him an comparable vehicle to drive in the meantime. Not a friggin’ Sentra. They have plenty of trucks on the lot.

If I were OP, I’d demand a Tacoma to drive while they fix my truck with genuine Toyota parts (I’d push to making them add a few years warranty to my truck to ensure there is no unseen mechanical damage since this is right at the engine), then give me some money to offset diminished value for being in an accident. If OP were to turn around and sell the truck, no one would be paying full price for it, so he needs to be compensated for it.

Law of bailment applies here (i.e. OP must be made whole)

taco_whisperer likes this.
  6. Oct 16, 2020 at 10:41 PM
    Toyko Joe

Toyko Joe Here for the pictures

Member:
    If your insurance is a good insurance provider they have better ways of dealing with the repairs and or replacement than you do, also they have deep pockets and lawyers to help fight for you to protect their purse. If this happened to me and the dealer wasn’t being overly pleasant trying to make it right, I’d call the cops and ask for an accident report, the dealership would probably straighten up their attitude at that point, then I’d call my insurance company as my third opinion.

7. Oct 16, 2020 at 10:59 PM
    TnShooter

TnShooter The TacomaWorld Stray

Member:
    First Name:
    Deogee
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD Off-Road, Auto
    STOCK
    I don’t understand the dealership not wanting to “repair all of it”.

One thing I don’t see anyone mention is the other person involved. The one that was driving the truck. Let me explain.

I was involved in an accident where I (my body) was hit by a vehicle at a service center. I was NOT injured in any way. The “service center” insisted I go to the emergency room for evaluation. I did and nothing was wrong.

You know what was wrong, the feeling you get when the employee (young lady) is crying with tears running down her face while apologizing. That hurt me more than getting hit.

I never did see that girl anymore after the accident. And I was in there many more times afterwards. I hope she wasn’t fired. As it was an ACCIDENT.

OP, you seem to be handling this quite reasonable. Here’s to you man. :cheers:

8. Oct 16, 2020 at 11:14 PM
    2008taco

2008taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    san diego
    From what I gathered, the reason the dealer isn't making OP whole is because he gave them a way out of it. Instead of saying "fix my shit that you broke" he inquired how much they would knock off on a new truck for their mistake. This gives them an option that would cost them virtually nothing. That put the idea in the dealer's head that there might be another way out of the situation, so they made him an offer that would most likely leave them breaking even on the deal, most likely without getting their insurance involved. After their ridiculous offer, OP did not say "thanks, but no thanks. Now fix my shit that you broke". Now OP is in Limbo.

9. Oct 16, 2020 at 11:19 PM
    JEEPNIK

JEEPNIK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Voodoo Blue TRD Sport
    Drop it right in you insurance companies lap. In some states you can take it to any shop you want. At least tell the adjuster that you do not want the dealer to touch it.

10. Oct 17, 2020 at 3:21 AM
    sgtnewundies

sgtnewundies Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Florida, Citrus County
    Vehicle:
    14 trd sport red
    Working on it now....UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    This is the dealerships fault not yours. You file a claim through your insurance and the premiums go up. Looking at the damage it looks like it will be close to $5000. Why would anyone call their insurance for this? The dealership has insurance for things like this.

11. Oct 17, 2020 at 6:44 AM
    gotoman1969

gotoman1969 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Antonio, TX United States
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Tacoma PreRunner
    3" ToyTec coilovers, JBA UCA's, Bilstein 5100's
    Op. From a legal standpoint the dealer dealership only owes making you whole which consist of putting the truck back in the condition it was prior to the accident and nothing more. If they choose to do more that would be great customer service on their part.

whatstcp and 2008taco like this.
  12. Oct 17, 2020 at 8:28 AM
    Razorecko

Razorecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    It needs to be a good balance of negotiating. I had a set of Weds wheels on the truck and the one rim got trashed. I told them if they can find a replacement good luck. Of course they couldn't so they reimbursed me for the price I paid for the whole set and put it towards a new set of sds rims. Covered 90% of new wheels.

13. Oct 17, 2020 at 8:38 AM
    JaysTRDsport

JaysTRDsport Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma Trd sport 4x4 6spd manual
    Toyo off road tires
    Happened to my Dad in 1991 the Toyota Dealer had it up on the rack & it fell off it up in the air twisted the whole frame and body $6,000 damage on a $6,995 truck new back then that’s what they cost new they wanted to fix it took a month of Negotiating while using a rental van n the end they took it in as a Even trade On a brand new one split the tax & reg fees & they had the damaged one repaired & sold it on there used lot back then they didn’t total everything so easy like today.

14. Oct 17, 2020 at 9:14 AM
    69 Jim

69 Jim 4-word Jimmy

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2013 Standard Cab 4x4
    Assholes.

15. Oct 17, 2020 at 10:41 AM
    JEEPNIK

JEEPNIK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Voodoo Blue TRD Sport
    Question. Why would the insurance raise your rates for an accident not of your making? I’ve never had that happen.

Jeff Lange and Jimmyh like this.
  16. Oct 17, 2020 at 11:31 AM
    lynlan1819

lynlan1819 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tacoma
    Lifted
    A MILLION threads on why not to use a Dealership for anything but warranty work.

Razorecko likes this.
  17. Oct 17, 2020 at 11:41 AM
    Razorecko

Razorecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    Easier to do work on older trucks. Mine is an 09. They make it more difficult with tech & software

18. Oct 17, 2020 at 12:47 PM
    Hook78

Hook78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR
    Bilstein 6112/5160 Icon RXT
    This reminds me of another thread where the dealer or shop put the truck on a lift and it fell off backwards. Haven’t yet read through the thread but I hope they repair it correctly and compensate you appropriately.

19. Oct 17, 2020 at 1:03 PM
    Hook78

Hook78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR
    If someone else is at fault and pays it certainly wouldn’t affect your own rate. And usually if you have a comprehensive claim, say, for example, a deer hit your truck, one instance wouldn’t raise your rate. But if a deer hit your truck once a month for a few months your rate would eventually rise due to the obvious increased risk of deer hitting your truck, despite it not being your fault. Higher risk means higher rates.

azzwethinkweiz likes this.
  20. Oct 17, 2020 at 1:15 PM
    Hook78

Hook78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR
    An accident causing damage to a vehicle on private property does not preclude the police from coming to take statements and make a report. If that werethe case, if someone backed in to me in a private parking lot, and I called the police afterwards, they would tell me it’s a civil matter. Which I know is not the case.

Maybe calling the police in this particular case wouldn’t be productive, and if you’re in a densely populated area it will be their lowest priority, but it would be an option to get some facts documented officially if the dealership was denying fault or refusing to repair the vehicle. In fact I think threatening to make that call would be decent leverage if things were going south from the start. Threatening to call the dealer’s insurance company would be good leverage, too.

In North Carolina (my state), for example, you must call the police if there is vehicle damage greater than $1,000 or if required by your insurance company. Not sure if that would apply if this situation happened given that you’re not the driver, but again, public road or private property, doesn’t matter as far as whether police will respond to make a report.

azzwethinkweiz and Biscuits like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top