1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota Dealership Negligence

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by POWHANA, May 17, 2013.

1. May 17, 2013 at 8:11 AM
    coma09

coma09 Senior Member. Hey, what's That supposed to mean?

Member:
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 taco access cab 4x4
    Drivetrain will be fine.
    You will need all new studs, bolts, drum, and rim.
    The studs not sheared will be damaged, nuts and wheel recesses will have scored surfaces.
    Brake shoes and hold downs will need to be inspected and replaced if affected.

The compound body damage is sad.
    I saw a car being towed once that came off the truck, and hit the median. It could always be worse. Wonder how impressed that guy was.

At least they are owning up to it and doing the right thing. Shit happens. It's how they respond that matters.

2. May 17, 2013 at 8:14 AM
    speedjunkie13

speedjunkie13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    a work in progress
    I will offer a technicians point of view. while obviously this really sucks and in a perfect world it shouldn't happen, it does. We are all human and shit happens. When you do this professionally for long enough, it is bound to happen at least once, trust me.

The dealership is owning up and taking care of it as they should, so don't make it a bigger deal than it has to be.

3. May 17, 2013 at 8:23 AM
    choppersx

choppersx ZoMbiE aLeRt

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1968 Ford Mustang
    Lifted Bilstein shocks 5100's Front set 1.75, Rear set 1.5 ICON 3 Leaf Progressive add on / Lights-Retrofit with Halos & interior Dome / Tinted windows/AFE PRo Dry Air Filter / Go Rhino Bars / Flowmaster Exhaust 50 series

New truck??? :notsure:

4. May 17, 2013 at 8:29 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    A very good suggestion there. It would not be unreasonable at all to make that request. I do suggest doing it in a polite manner of course. Don't go in screaming and yelling. That just gets you shut out.

Not always 100% true. It really depends on how long that tech worked there, and how valuable he may be. Sometimes a suspension and employee probation are done for those with tenure.

Good post there. I have been in dealerships for nearly 20 years, and own my own shop, and I will agree that people make mistakes. Anyone here who tries to claim that they have NEVER made a mistake are lying. It happens. Hopefully this is the first time something this bad has been done by that particular tech, and the last. I have made mistakes as well and have been lucky enough to catch them before the vehicle left the dealership. I have a procedure that I put into place years ago to prevent missing something, but even then, we are all human.

I will say one thing that is partially in line with the thread, but also a bit tangent to it: I don't think anyone here would allow an unlicensed electrician to rewire their home, or an unlicensed plumber to fix a leak at their home either. In this day and age, one must be licensed in each state in order to do these jobs as a career. So why is it that when it comes to our cars and trucks, which we daily drive, and put our children into, that so many people do not trust their vehicle to a licensed professional? Can anyone answer that? Right now technicians do have a type of licensing (It is called ASE certification and is nearly identical to the same thing an electrician or plumber have to do) but this licensing is 100% voluntary, and there are NO federal or state regulations for this.

We take our cars and trucks into shops, and really have NO IDEA the quality of training and education that the people who work on them have. You take your vehicle into these places and have them work on your BRAKES! And yet I truly wonder how many people here actually have ASKED their shop to show them the credentials of the person who is working on their car. You refuse to let an unlicensed contractor work on your home. Why allow an unlicensed tech work on your cars and trucks, or your mom's, sister's, or your own child's vehicle?

We really should make this licensing a requirement. End of rant, we now return you to our regularly scheduled thread, already in progress....

5. May 17, 2013 at 8:31 AM
    rickc5

rickc5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Whitewater, CO
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Pro
    none
    And possibly a new axle on that side, depending on whether or not those torn-up studs may have damaged the holes in the axle so that the new studs (they need to install) are still tight or not.

I would ask for a full or partial refund of the service charge, PLUS an additional kicker to the drivetrain warranty, say to 100K miles.

6. May 17, 2013 at 8:35 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    Good point on the damage to the axle flange being possible. Refunds on service work are not uncommon for sure when a negligent issue is involved, but remember that a dealership is a franchise, and have no authority to extend factory warranty. And Toyota won't extend any warranty due to negligence either. Of course there is a first time for everything, But I have NEVER seen anything like that happen.

7. May 17, 2013 at 8:37 AM
    97Blk_one

97Blk_one Well-Known Member

Member:
    Memfrica
    Vehicle:
    not so low
    A whole lot,But not satify
    I think that's may be the problem, Does stealership hired these "mechanics" base on his ASE Certicate or any joes can get a job ? curiosity...

8. May 17, 2013 at 8:39 AM
    POWHANA

POWHANA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Thanks for the input. I'll look into it

9. May 17, 2013 at 8:42 AM
    POWHANA

Member:
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Thanks guys. I hope the axel is not damaged. I luckily have a cool service manager takin care of me, I'm meeting with him later today.

10. May 17, 2013 at 8:46 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    Most dealerships now a days will NOT hire a technician that is not ASE certified. However that does not usually apply in the case of the lube techs. To address this, ASE is now introducing certification for light repair and maintenance technicians which includes learning/knowing the proper procedure for doing things. Of course we are still all human, and nothing beats time and experience.

11. May 17, 2013 at 8:49 AM
    97Blk_one

97Blk_one Well-Known Member

Member:
    Memfrica
    Vehicle:
    not so low
    A whole lot,But not satify
    Thanks, just curious...

12. May 17, 2013 at 8:57 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    This is whatcha get for not servicing your vehicle yourself.

13. May 17, 2013 at 9:07 AM
    Crosis

Crosis Tertiary adjunct to unimatrix 01

Member:
    Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Ok for those saying new truck... I hope you are not being serious. His truck is as far from completely ruined as it is from being on fire. NOTHING could have been damaged that is not a bolt-on item. They are fixing it and thats all they can be expected to do, under law and in good faith.

Now as far as the dent from the tow the dealership is in no way responsible for that unless the tow truck was from the dealer itself. There is no reason for damage to EVER occur from a tow when its done by competent professionals. The tow company is responsible and thats who the OP is going to have to go after for that.

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  14. May 17, 2013 at 9:16 AM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA
    Here's an idea for some of you who work in auto shops. Maybe you can win promotion points for being the one to implement the idea, Or maybe they have this already but it gets ignored.

Like many said anyone, know matter how qualified can make a mistake. In industry and in the military, where they are dealing with anything that has safety impacts they have checklists and other written procedures that MUST be followed or your butt is grass. This is strictly enforced. For example any airplane maintenence, even cleaning the toilet has a strict tech order procedure that must be followed to the letter. That is why they are called tech orders, they books are equivalent to orders from your superiors. And for safety critical, the checklist and your work is usually then double checked by another person(s) for quality control purposes.

I don't know why the medical care field took so long before doing something like this, but I think they are implementing formal checklists and peer checks nowadays to reduce mistakes.

15. May 17, 2013 at 9:21 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    No, That is what happens when you have an unfortunate situation. He could just of easily forgot to tighten something up himself. It happens to everyone at some point where they make a mistake in their job. Not everyone knows proper maintenance procedures, nor always willing to do the job themselves, or have TIME to do it themselves. Some people have lives that are not conducive to self-maintenance and repairs of their own vehicles. When I was working at my last dealership I knew the lube techs there well, and I actually had THEM do the oil changes and tire rotations because I just didn't have the time on all our vehicles. What needs to be done is to find a good place that does quality work, get to know your ASE technician, and always ask for the same person to work on your truck.

16. May 17, 2013 at 9:30 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    S' what he gets for not servicin his own vehicle.

17. May 17, 2013 at 9:32 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    Obviously you are too stubborn headed to be rational with. So I'll leave it at that. :rolleyes:

18. May 17, 2013 at 9:54 AM
    POWHANA

Member:
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Right. I don't have the time or expertise to work on a 2012 Tacoma. So thats why I bring it to the "experts" I would hope. Especially when its the free 2 year Toyota Care maintenance. As far as people saying "shit happens" this is a big pile of deadly shit at that. Not to minimize the situation. I do work in the medical field as well and we do have double checks for some procedures and highly dynamic medications. If I have a deadly/super dangerous error at work...I'm fired, my patient is hurt even more if not dead and their family is also affected.

19. May 17, 2013 at 9:58 AM
    POWHANA

Member:
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Really man? One should be injured or killed for not servicing their own vehicle? Not everyone is not as skilled as mechanic as you. Have a nice day man.

20. May 17, 2013 at 9:59 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    OP, if you really feel that adamant about this situation, and a bad one at that, then do what everyone else does, sue...

You can't do it small claims either, stress, pain and suffering are not part of a calculated settlement in small claims.....

They are fixing it, short of them kissing yer ass over and over again and maybe slinging some freebies your way, that is about it...

Products Discussed in

To Top