1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota Extended Warranty. Yes or No?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AFTaco, Aug 31, 2009.

?

Should I get a Toyota Extended Warranty?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2009.
  1. Go for it!

51.8%
  2. Don't waste your money.

35.5%
  3. Not sure what to think.

12.7%
  1. Aug 31, 2009 at 7:05 PM
    Old Soul

Old Soul Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 AC V6 SR5 2WD SWB
    not to many, love it the way it is
    The great thing is we have until 36k on the trucks to decide if we want the extended warranty or not

2. Aug 31, 2009 at 7:08 PM
    JHAirForce05

JHAirForce05 I'm kinda a big deal

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB SP
    Kenwood DDX712 with Nav and rear view cam, Viper 5901 Security System, Kobalt Slim Line Compact Truck Tool Box
    I got the extended with mine

3. Sep 1, 2009 at 1:41 AM
    Cheesycook

Cheesycook Geek with a gun

Member:
    Hermiston, OR
    Vehicle:
    01 4x4 DC Tacoma V6
    Be real careful with the after warranties. I bought a 98 Wrangler with one and figured that would make it worth the asking price considering it had an exhaust leak, a squeek in the clutch pedal assembly that lube wouldn't fix and an AC issue. I dropped it off and because my tires where one inch over stock they said I voided the policy and left me with a $500 dollar bill to just put it back together.

4. Sep 1, 2009 at 4:13 AM
    Illuminaut

Illuminaut life's a conspiracy

Member:
    (Z)ion)o)sphere
    Vehicle:
    2009 Regular Cab 4x4 in BSP
    .75" Front Aluminum Billet Spacers = 1.5" Lift ((silly mud flaps removed pending trimming)) AFE Pro Dry S with secondary filter removed 265/70/16 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors mounted on Limited Edition Toyota Black Bajas
    When I made the deal on my truck, it was the only one of its kind on the lot with the next nearest dealer 115 miles away.

I guess they figured they could make some of their reluctant discount back by the ultra HARD SELL treatment I recieved
    in closing. Not only did they do their best trying to make me feel foolish for not wanting their extended warranty, but had
    only offered it to me at their over-inflated top-dollar price!

After politely explaining twice how I would be racking-up 100,000 miles in 4 to 5 years and had become a pretty decent
    toy truck mechanic (see profile for list of trucks owned), the sales manager (who had been listening in) got up and stood
    in the door-way (as if to block it) and asked: "May I ask why someone as intelligent as yourself would want to take this
    kind of risk with such an important purchase?" I thought about it for a moment, thanked him for his concern, and informed
    him that the only reason I was purchasing a truck from his dealership was the matter of convenience and due to Toyota's
    proven reliabilty. But then I added (after a short deliberate pause) that if he himself lacked confidence in the product then
    perhaps I had been a bit hasty and should probably delay my purchase until I had given the matter a little more thought.

The man's demeanor changed immediately, apologetically offering me his hand and personal assistance with anything else
    I might need while expressing what appeared to be sincere gratitude, and then he politely left the room... :rolleyes:

If your'e going to rack-up miles fast and want to significantly modify, extended warranties are probably wasted money.

5. Sep 1, 2009 at 4:34 AM
    KodiakVA

KodiakVA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Richmond Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 XCab Sport BarcelRed
    I'm getting one (EW) today for my 09. I'm getting the 8 year 100,000 Platinum Plan from Troy.

http://fd-warranty.com/index.html

I usually drive about 8,000 miles a year but I might have to start driving more. This will cover me for those 8 years. I have had my last 2 trucks 12 and 11 years so I keep them. Troy has been great to deal with and my price is $1105. One thing for the automatic tranny or AC and I will get my money back. I was temped with the 7 year but when Toyota added the 8 year feature that extra year help push me over the edge. Good luck with your decision and your Taco.

6. Sep 1, 2009 at 10:07 AM
    AFTaco

AFTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-road
    Sweet! Nice way to back them off! I don't like doing business with people like that but unfortunatly car sales is full of them.

7. Sep 1, 2009 at 10:18 AM
    AFTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-road
    Thats why I bought a Toyota. I have a 2006 Tahoe that I brought to the UK in 06. I found out that some UK garages do warranty work so I kept my extended warranty which I paid around $1700 for. I had gone over my standard 3yr warranty. My bearings went out cause of the horrible roads so I brought it in for some warranty work. Come to find out, UK stopped doing warranty work an all GM vehicles in 2008. So basically I called up my warranty company and explained the situation. They told me that my refund is pro-rated from the day I bought the vehicle. I asked, " Why would I buy a vehicle with a 3yr warranty and basically purcahse another warranty on top of that?" They basically said tough break. Well my refund came out to a couple hundred bucks and the truck only has 24k miles on it. I decided to keep the remainng warranty and use the heck out of it when I return. So basically I will have less than a yr left on my extended warranty when I return. So frustrated!

8. Sep 1, 2009 at 11:34 AM
    buzhazzard

buzhazzard Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2009 Magnetic Grey DC 4X4
    Wet Okole seat covers, Weathertech floor mats, blacked out tail lights, leer cap, OME 885s in front and leaf pack in rear with AAL, bhlm, all pro sliders, Pioneer head unit, rear plate bumper, US Off Road hidden winch mount, 10k lb winch, On-board water
    I got mine for $432 so I could not say no.

9. Sep 1, 2009 at 11:50 AM
    10silvertaco

10silvertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Vehicle:
    no longer own Tacoma, now own 2011 Outback
    I brought my new truck with 8 yrs/ 125,000 miles Platium extended warranty from Toyota. Plan to keep my truck for 7 years.
    IMO never buy extended warranty from other companies.
    In my past experience I brought extended warranty online and one of them file bankrupted and other would not pay for the parts and service. It was supposed to cover because the contract says it cover. They would not pay for it because "it cost too much". Bunch of BS and I filed complaint to BBB and the issue was resolved after three months.

10. Sep 1, 2009 at 1:50 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    Don't waste your money on an extended warranty!

That is the point of buying a Toyota, you won't need it. I have 127,000 on my 05 & haven't had any problems with it. I just this weekend replaced the factory battery. Other than that just do the normal maintanence & you would be fine. If you want peace of mind. Put the money in savings or stock. & only draw from it if you need repairs. I doubt you will ever touch it. & if you do, I doubt you will spend it all on repairs in the time the warranty would be good.

Then the plus is you have extra money later for mods or a family emergency.

11. Sep 1, 2009 at 2:06 PM
    AFTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-road
    Jerry Johnson
    800-530-5789
    Midwest Toyota in Kansas

Hes talked about on the Tundra Forums, and Slickdeals.com. They have flat out internet pricing for warranties with no BS pricing.

12. Sep 1, 2009 at 2:07 PM
    AFTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-road

I heard of him, but no. You think he can beat that price?

13. Sep 1, 2009 at 2:35 PM
    tacoholic

tacoholic Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Bay, CA
    Go for it...it's more for the time than anything else, parts will probably break because of age rather than use on the truck.
    Give you a little comparison:
    I'm not sure if Ford and Toyota can relate but...
    Expedition: ~$1750 for 5 years or so and like 60,000 miles, $100 deductible (add $100 to the price for $50 deductible)
    Sister's Fusion: ~$760 for 6 years and like 45,000 miles $100 deductible (car only has like 14,000 miles in 3 years so she needed it for time) then the guy threw in an extra year for free. ~$850's for $50 deductible.

14. Sep 1, 2009 at 5:50 PM
    seligman

seligman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Extended warranties are like health insurance. They use complex formulas that factor in the probability and severity of stuff breaking down.

The fact Toyota openly pimps the extended warranty says a lot. They wouldn't be doing this if they didn't turn a profit. Doesn't matter the price they charge either.

The lower the price, the more reliable the vehicle (generally speaking).

15. Sep 1, 2009 at 6:33 PM
    DdayIsNear

DdayIsNear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders
    well i bought my taco in june of 09 and its on 07 wand had only 9900 miles..so it was certified used, so that made it come with the 100k 7 yr xtended warranty. i bought the extra warranties, llike windshiedl bullshit and rim/wheel protection bullshit. whatever, i know if ididnt' i would fuck it em up, and if i did, i never will. catch 22 alwaysl, but safe then sorry

16. Sep 1, 2009 at 7:08 PM
    MattN03

MattN03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Bluegrass State
    Vehicle:
    SOLD: 07 DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    20% window tint, beep mod, hardwired V1, TSB springs, AVS Bugshield-21803, USA Spec PA15, OEM Tacoma scuff plates, Weathertech mats, Truxedo LoPro, TRD skid, GY Duratrac's 265/75/16 C Range, locker mod (switch method)
    I'm trying to decide if I want to buy the EW from Troy before the 3 years/36k is up next year....

17. Sep 2, 2009 at 5:46 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    You were screwed over and should've had more to say. Your larger tires is not associated with the problems you had and therefore CAN NOT void your warranty.

Read up:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

More specifically:

To me, the piece of mind was worth the extra expense. Anything can go wrong with a vehicle. Look around this site and you will find thousands of vehicles that had mechanical issues in the first 7 years of ownership. That issue could cost you $100 or could cost you $5000. I'd rather have the insurance.

I got mine through the dealership and paid $1000 after taxes. I could've saved almost $300 had I found this site sooner and contacted Troy. I wouldn't have to pay sales tax because he is out of state.

Chrysler pushed the extended warranty on us but we declined. It has been to the shop a dozen times in the last 2 1/2 years and we are now nearing the end of our warranty. I really wish we would've purchased it. Now, we are going to sell it because we don't want to be stuck when it craps out again. We will loose a lot of money because we didn't get the warranty.

I voted to "go for it" because I did and feel much better knowing that I have 75K miles (or 7 years) where my vehicle is covered from bumper to bumper. If you have ever taken an out-of-warranty vehicle to the shop and stressed out over the cost of repairs (or felt like you were getting ripped off) you will like the peace of mind. Just take it to the dealer, get it fixed and drive away. No stress over "am I getting charged too much", "are they just saying it needs replaced to charge me more", "could I have gotten it done cheaper somewhere else", "did I get ripped off", ect.

18. Sep 2, 2009 at 6:08 AM
    1adkpeaks2

1adkpeaks2 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ric
    Lk George NY
    Vehicle:
    New Upgrade 2012 Tacoma 4x4 V6 Off Road
    Full Side Step Ups Bug Sheild AVS Window Vents Camo Rocker Panels - SOON
    I purchased an 07 Tacoma Double Cab V6 TRD Off-road pkg - 7yr/100K
    Platinum - $782.00 $0.00 labor charge etc. I will burn it up in 4 yrs. Still worth it to me I will keep mine 8 yrs or more
    1adkpeaks2

19. Mar 26, 2011 at 11:45 AM
    rsbmg

rsbmg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Doublecab TRD Offroad
    Front Aluminum bumper by Relentless Fab. Smittybuilt Winch Complete set of skids by ATO TC UCA's Fox Ext. Travel Front Reservoirs.
    Why waste money on an extended warranty when toyota wont even honor the basic warranty? Save your money by used.

20. Apr 11, 2011 at 10:09 AM
    grunt66

grunt66 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DBL cab 4X4 off road
    Please elaborate on why Toyota will not honor the basic warranty if you could please.

I am at 35k for mileage on my truck and I am considering buying the Platinum Toyota extended warranty. I received an email from Midwest Toyota and I can get the 8 year 125k warranty for $1,399. I stopped in my local dealership (Toyota of Escondido) and they wanted $2,499 for the same coverage. When I asked if they could match the price ($1,399), he quickly but politely said no. I plan on keeping this truck for 10 plus years so it will be with me for some time.

Products Discussed in

To Top