1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota frame recall coating?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Justyn98, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Sep 27, 2017 at 5:35 PM
    Justyn98

Justyn98 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justyn
    West Virginia and Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    09 barcelona red tacoma trd sport DCSB
    Led pod fog light inserts, kn cold air intake, Bilstein 5100 with 2 inch coil combo and progressive AAL. Touchscreen pioneer stereo and infinity components with 2 kicker comp r10's and jones turbine exhaust
    I have to take my truck in on the 16th for the coating they put all underneath the undercarriage, a few months back I sanded and painted my whole undercarriage. basically restored my frame, is the stuff they use good? what even is it?

2. Sep 28, 2017 at 10:29 AM
    eaboecke

eaboecke Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma DBSB
    Let me know what you find out. My truck I just picked up falls under the undercoating limited service campaign they just released at the end of August. Not to sure how I feel about getting the underbody coated. I feel I could to something better over a weekend.

Justyn98[OP] likes this.
  3. Sep 28, 2017 at 10:37 AM
    TacoRob08

TacoRob08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Fredericton, NB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    17 Sport DCLB
    AFE high tuck exhaust, OVTuned base 91
    The crap they sprayed on mine looks horrible after a year and a half. Looked good when first went on, other than they sprayed my exhaust and it stunk for a couple weeks, but now its flaking off and looks horrible.

4. Sep 28, 2017 at 10:41 AM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Poser Pro Manual.
    Just another Toyota band aid. The old time Toyota founders have to be rolling over in their graves from the Nightmare of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Gen vehicles and all their issues.

5. Sep 28, 2017 at 10:43 AM
    DaveInDenver

DaveInDenver Not Actually in Denver

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Grand Junction
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White TRDOR AC 6MT
    Unexceptional
    The materials they use to coat are:

Noxudol 300S (the black goo on the outside of the frame)
    Nox-Rust 712AM (like a waxy fluid they use inside)

It's probably good stuff, as far as coatings go I guess. Nothing is a perfect anti-rust but nothings going to be as good as doing it right the first damned time to clean metal, good dip/prime, thick, durable top coat. You know, like Toyota used to do on the trucks in 1990s.

I used Eastwood frame coating inside my boxed sections. On the outside I clean off rust, use etching primer and plain old Rustoleum. I do Fluid Film a couple of times a year as preventative.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    Markcal likes this.
  6. Sep 28, 2017 at 4:24 PM
    Justyn98

Justyn98 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justyn
    West Virginia and Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    09 barcelona red tacoma trd sport DCSB
    Led pod fog light inserts, kn cold air intake, Bilstein 5100 with 2 inch coil combo and progressive AAL. Touchscreen pioneer stereo and infinity components with 2 kicker comp r10's and jones turbine exhaust
    I'll let you know how it turns out

7. Sep 28, 2017 at 4:29 PM
    Jeffch

Jeffch Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2018 off road
    Running 285/75/16s
    Don't let them put that on your frame!!!
    If you've done that much to save your truck tell them to piss off.
    This shit kinda prevents you from seeing what's going on and until it dries up would be a bitch to remove.
    Mine has it I'm still pissed but found lps3 rust inhibitor keeps it wet but needs to be done regularly to maintain. I feel I'd been in better shape without it but my OCD may talking here.
    IMG_5930.jpg
    So I don't maintain the tire catch thing so this is what it does if left to Toyota and the rest is me trying to save it.
    This is my 08 at 160k I gotta pick some scabs and coat again before snow hits and vt breaks out the salt brine on the roads!!!!!

8. Sep 28, 2017 at 7:28 PM
    JAHGB2

JAHGB2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport DBL CAB Pyrite Mica
    Thanks for posting. I just bought my 2nd gen from a dealership (non-Toyota) at the beginning of this month, and they told me this frame-coating thing was coming up for my truck. I think my truck looks super clean and nice underneath right now; no way I'm letting them spray that stuff on. I'm one of the original Tacoma owners (had a 99 TRD Off-Road on lease that I ended up buying) who was cursed with the frame rust recall. Back then they didn't replace the frames, they bought the truck back from you at KBB price + 1/2. I made out okay, I suppose, but I left without a Tacoma and they were hard to come by because of that issue going on! If the frame gets rusty on this one, I want to see that it's happening and not hidden by that black coating! Just my thoughts on the matter.

Jeffch[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Sep 29, 2017 at 4:19 PM
    Jeffch

Jeffch Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2018 off road
    Running 285/75/16s
    Your very welcome! I felt the same but was told it would extend my warranty to 15yrs they lied!!
    Just my opinion I'm sure others have different ones. But this is my experience with it.
    I don't think it's bad undercoating it's the way Toyota is using it. I'm sure if it was preped well it would stay better.
    The scabs I get are where the rust was not dealt with properly and they coated over it.
    They were the spots I had that I had been watching before, but after coating they were hidden until the rust got air and began to grow pushing the coating off.
    As of now I'm not sure if I should continue doing what I have or stop and pack the boxed part with salt and hope for a hole by 2020.
    I brought it to my local shop who I've been doing business with since 89 and asked to use his lift so I could get a really good look at what was going on. I was poking around with a screw driver and his guy Brian came over to see what I was doing? He handed me a ball peen and said this is what I should use. I couldn't do it so I handed it back and let him have at it.
    I won't qualify for a frame so I will continue doing what I have. He said I had no worries but I still worry and want to keep it for many more years. So far 6 years and over 100k.
    I enjoy being in it every freaking time I'm in it, I enjoy most all the time I spend with it but I'm gotta find something better than cardboard to lay on while spending time under her.
    My advice would be don't do the coating if you qualify and either keep it at bay on your own or let it rot and hope to get a new frame.

10. Feb 13, 2018 at 6:13 PM
    jspeksnijder

jspeksnijder New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jakob
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2010
    Guys,

Thanks for all this information. I just came back from the dealer and have a the same question. My frame is painted by myself and maintained yearly after the winter. So its pretty much packed with paint (Rustoleum). So like you all, I am thinking this will do more harm than good. Most of you are against doing the undercoating, but I would like to invite more responses to get a completer view of the experiences.

So my question is if there are views of folks that say that I still should do it or I should definitely do not do it.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!

Jakob

11. Feb 13, 2018 at 7:17 PM
    Markcal

Markcal Well-Known Member

Member:
    First, welcome to TW being new you might not realize it but putting in a few keywords in the search engine like "frame rust" here will get you many of the answers you are looking for and have been asked before in other threads here.

I just posted this like 15 minutes ago in another thread just like this one:
    My brother said someone he works with drove his Tacoma in the ocean in the hopes to accelerate the frame corrosion.

When they first sent us the letter about the LSC, I debated waiting till the last second to get my frame sprayed in the hopes of finding a 10mm hole, but my luck I wouldn't take care of the frame and 1 day after the 12 years is over mine would fail state inspection. I have owned my truck from day one and know how well it was cared for, so I decided to be proactive and get the CRC sooner rather than later, also when I had mine sprayed it was warm/dry so it cured faster.

12. Feb 14, 2018 at 5:49 AM
    igno1tus

igno1tus Small member

Member:
    Lehigh Valley Area , PA
    Vehicle:
    '07 Tacoma Access Cab TRD Off Road
    Your frame looks pretty damn good ! So I’m guessing you cleaned it up for that picture ? I’m sure after spraying it with lps3 and driving around for a few months in the winter it doesn’t look that good lol . I’m just curious , not being a dick . How often (approx) do you spray it with lps3 ? How often do you clean it up that nice ?

13. Feb 14, 2018 at 6:27 AM
    coreseller

coreseller Well-Known Member

Member:
    I bought a 2006 Tacoma a little over a year back that already had the frame and LCA's replaced, but everything else under there looked kind of crusty to me. So here is the approach I took (mainly based on another member's post), not cheap and took alot of time (mostly my 17 year old son's lol since I bought the truck for him) but IMO it's as comprehensive as you can get:

-Use an air scaler to remove any surface rust: -Prep / De-grease / Clean Everything then Paint Everything with POR15 (2 Coats):
    https://www.amazon.com/Por-15-Semi-gloss-Black-Gallon-Preventative/dp/B00ODCYL42/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1518616975&sr=1-1&keywords=POR-15+Cleaner+Degreaser+%2F+Metal+Prep+%2F+Semi+Gloss+Black+-+3+Gallon+Kit
    -Paint Inside of Frame Rails:
    https://www.amazon.com/Eastwood-125...eywords=Eastwood+Internal+Frame+Coating+Green
    -Spray Everything with Rubberized Undercoating:
    https://www.amazon.com/Automotive-R...16925&sr=8-9&keywords=rubberized+undercoating
    -Spray Gun used:
    https://www.amazon.com/TCP-Global-P...518617176&sr=8-13&keywords=spray+undercoating
    -Make sure to use a Respirator with that POR15 stuff, very toxic smelling:
    https://www.amazon.com/3M-Paint-Pro...18617779&sr=1-2&keywords=full+face+respirator

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  14. Feb 14, 2018 at 8:03 AM
    Jeffch

Jeffch Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2018 off road
    Running 285/75/16s
    Not cleaned up for the photo.
    Not sure how you would clean it up. I apply the lps twice a year before and after salt. I work at spots that need attention they blister out due to rust growing under it through the summer. I pick the scabs knock off the loose shit and apply lps.
    I do use a brush applying the lps wherever I can.
    The lps makes the crc soft and mix’s with it. The lps is not black that’s it mixing. 4-5 months of salt and car washes this is it today.
    3ECEF32E-AF92-4E95-B8AD-CDEF95B9E946.jpg

15. Feb 14, 2018 at 8:49 AM
    igno1tus

igno1tus Small member

Member:
    Lehigh Valley Area , PA
    Vehicle:
    '07 Tacoma Access Cab TRD Off Road
    Oh ok yea that looks pretty salty and dirty , I thought maybe you cleaned the trucks underbody by pressure washing it first and degreasing it real good before in the other picture . I was just curious if you kept it clean all the time or like a underbody of a truck (dirty). I was wondering because I’m too tying to take decent care of my frame/underbody and I wanted to see how the other half live lol

16. Feb 14, 2018 at 8:52 AM
    coopcooper

coopcooper certified youtube mechanic

Member:
    alberta canada
    Vehicle:
    black on black on black 05 trd off road
    stickers and sticker accessory's
    mine had the frame restored last February. just got a notice in the mail saying I can go and get a new frame... maybe they had backlash with that spray on shit not working??

17. Feb 14, 2018 at 9:25 AM
    Jeffch

Jeffch Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2018 off road
    Running 285/75/16s
    Here’s 1 winter with their crc.
    DD663D77-3053-4536-B570-12EB83E34067.jpg

Damm Toyota just covered everything without any prep.

78C2BD28-01EA-4848-93C6-382FA23AB03B.jpg
    First coat of lps after picking the scab.

Lol I’m old and anal.
    I keep it pretty clean engine bay underbody and outside.
    Inside well that’s a different story.

18. Feb 14, 2018 at 9:27 AM
    Jeffch

Jeffch Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2018 off road
    Running 285/75/16s
    Did they inspect it or sent you a notice saying come get a new frame?

19. Feb 14, 2018 at 10:05 AM
    coopcooper

coopcooper certified youtube mechanic

Member:
    alberta canada
    Vehicle:
    black on black on black 05 trd off road
    stickers and sticker accessory's
    yeah got a notice in the mail from Toyota Canada saying I qualify for a frame replacement.

20. Feb 14, 2018 at 10:08 AM
    Markcal

Markcal Well-Known Member

Member:
    I did a bunch of things that have kept the CRC on my frame looking factory new, although I'm not 100% happy with it. Here are a few things that seem to have helped:

1. After being applied I let the CRC cure properly and having it applied when it was warm/dry helped it too.

2. Since I had it applied I have only washed the frame with garden hose pressure and never used high pressure on it (I even called the company that makes the CRC and that was their recommendation too).

3. Appling Fluid Film yearly seems to keep the waxy CRC supple/pliable and it hasn't flaked off yet.

4. Adding the plastic plugs under the front wheel wells to the frame seems to keep salt/road spray from entering the box section of the frame. (I saw that the newer models were coming from the factory with them and figured Toyota wouldn't be doing it for nothing).

5. This is a small thing but I try not to rub the bottom of the frame rail hard, getting under it as it comes off easily. I have noticed the areas with less CRC where I have rubbed it off, but I always apply a coating of Fluid Film yearly, so it's not a big deal.

To Top