1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota Not Honoring Warranty

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rsbmg, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Mar 2, 2011 at 5:59 PM
    rsbmg

rsbmg [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Doublecab TRD Offroad
    Front Aluminum bumper by Relentless Fab. Smittybuilt Winch Complete set of skids by ATO TC UCA's Fox Ext. Travel Front Reservoirs.
    So I bought this 2011 Tacoma 4x4 doublecab TRD/Offroad AT JBL/Tow package. Spent 33k. Its been back to the dealership twice for a windshield vibration.

The first time a tech rode with me I took it up to about 90mph and he heard the noise and said "yep thats the window seal alright." Why 90? well its airspeed dependent so I can drive 60 if their is a strong headwind and it will do it but today there was no headwind. So the dealer outsourced it to a window shop where he said they would re-seal it. I got it back and the problem still exists. So I took it back.

Second trip in they say "well we can not duplicate the problem without exceeding the speed limit so there is nothing we can do."

I say but you have already heard the problem your tech rode with me and your paperwork says that I am supposed to drive it and advise you if it still occures. I am advising you it still occures.

Days go by and they say well we have done all we can and the toyota field rep says you need to open a case with Toyota Corporate, here is your defective truck back.

So I call toyota and explain the problem. 2days go back and Toyota says, there is nothing we can do to help you. I say wait a minute your techs already aknowledged the problem and your answer is you cant help me? Well they cant make the problem occure without exceeding the speed limit so we have done all we can.

So Basically Toyota said suck it easy take us to court. So far I continue to be dissatisfied with Toyota's quality and customer service beginning with the straight up lies which occured during the sales process.

Guess I shoulda kept my jeep at least they can produce a windshield right.

2. Mar 2, 2011 at 6:04 PM
    TACK

TACK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner TRD Off-Road MGM
    Bilstein 5100s at 1.75", Level 8 Tracker wheels, white lithium grease mod for creaky clutch pedal
    They found a reason to get out of fixing it, so of course they jumped on it.

3. Mar 2, 2011 at 6:05 PM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
  4. Mar 2, 2011 at 6:06 PM
    707tothe907

707tothe907 Superior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Chico NorCal
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB Off Road
    Yeah not much to say other then oh well. Keep it below 90 and I guess you won't need to listen to that annoying rattle?

5. Mar 2, 2011 at 6:09 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Does this describe your issue?

T-SB-0142-08.pdf

6. Mar 2, 2011 at 6:10 PM
    TacoSport

TacoSport opinions are like assholes; everyones got one.

Member:
    NE
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SSM Sport DCSB w/Tow
    Seems strange you would have this problem since I have not seen anyone else reporting it on this site. If it is the windshield I would say you could pull up to another 2011 and do a physical comparison of the windshields and there should be some notable difference. Otherwise it is something else in the front end.

Just curious, but when was it build and where was it manufactured?

As a side note, we had the windshield replaced in our 2005 4Runner and it took 2 replacements before they got one that fit right.

BTW my 2011 does not make any wind noise

7. Mar 2, 2011 at 6:25 PM
    rsbmg

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    Front Aluminum bumper by Relentless Fab. Smittybuilt Winch Complete set of skids by ATO TC UCA's Fox Ext. Travel Front Reservoirs.
    I had previously shown them the TSB, they said since mine is a 2011 it doesnt apply. Interesting when I brought this up to the rep at toyota she said the dealership already did the TSB for the earlier models. I explained that they did not all they did was outsource it for additional silicone. She said well it says in our records they did it. Seriously.

As for keeping it under 90 that is fine except the more wind resistance the lowe the speed you need to duplicate it. In a stong headwind I have had it occuring at 60mph. But at any rate I dont care if it only occures at 120mph it should never occure at all.

8. Mar 2, 2011 at 6:29 PM
    Dondo

Dondo Member

Member:
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner SR5
    I feel your pain. I have a similar sound/rattle coming from windshield/dashboard. Dealer said that it is unreasonable to think that you won't get rattles while driving on rough city streets. Come on man....the freaking truck only has 5k miles on it...sounds like it has 80k. This is on a 2010.

9. Mar 2, 2011 at 6:40 PM
    PatrickJW

PatrickJW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Rural Maine USA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 TRD off road/towing package
    Just begining, doing some research having some fun!!
    Hmmmmmm. On a really windy day on the highway @ 45-55 mph I'm hearing wind noise coming (seems like) in around the windows of my access cab rear door windows. it might be door seal issues ??? It's a 2010 SR5 TRD Off Road...anyone else??

10. Mar 2, 2011 at 6:46 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    My 2010 does the same thing. The dealer won't fix it for the same issues. For those wondering what that sound is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IrQZhQzX94

That was going into a headwind on the freeway. I've had it happen as low as 40mph into very strong headwinds.

11. Mar 2, 2011 at 6:55 PM
    rsbmg

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    Thats it right there. I have recordings of it also. There is no way out of this for them. I just finished filling out the arbitration papers and will mail them tomorrow. If that doesnt work then its off to get a lawyer at which point I will be seeking alot more than just a windshield repair.

12. Mar 2, 2011 at 6:56 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    Can ya try a different dealer?

13. Mar 2, 2011 at 7:06 PM
    rhodehard09

rhodehard09 sometimes nonsense is the only sense someone has

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    tampa, fl
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 doublecab
    3" lift, allpro u-bolt flip kit,285/75/16 km2s, hella hid lights, hid conversions for headlights and foglights, led everything, debadged, 9145 reverse light bulbs, black tail lights, black headlight mod,trail-gear rock sliders, dynomax ultra flo muffler,satoshi with custom woven stainless grill,hella 100watt floods in grill, pioneer 4100 in dash dvd player, pioneer 800watt 4 channel amp, pioneer 4way 6x9s, pioneer 4 way 6.5s, 2 rockford p3 10's,rockford power 500.1 mono amp w/bass knob, 7 pin relocated, highlift and mount in bed, diff breather mod, led bed lights, secondary air filter removed,t-rex eyelids, mefab bumper bar, muddy under carriage
    come on guys...is there nothing else you can complain about?
    this is a truck, bottom line. if you want no noise and a perfectly smooth ride, buy a cadillac. the last time i went 60 in a jeep i was pretty much deafened by the sound of the canvas slapping all around(bad comparison on your part)....on my 09 dc 4x4 trd offroad i get this noise every once in a while. so what. I dont let little things like this bother me(as this is not a lexus that i am driving). and as for the dealer not covering this, i side with them.....to recreate the wind noise, you ocasionally get from your truck, you have to do 90 mph???....what dealer would entertain such a complaint? i know i would tell you to go climb a tree if i was that service manager.......man up, deal with it, or sell your truck and buy a luxury sedan....

just sayin......

14. Mar 2, 2011 at 7:08 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Um, first off my 2008 never had this issue, it's a flat out craftsmanship defect, and on principle alone Toyota should repair it per the warranty guidelines. For a $30k truck, I'd say it's expected the windshield is properly sealed, especially when it's the top in the class. Also, Lexus is owned by Toyota, so poor reference point there.

Yes, it is a truck. Yes I wheel it. Yes I've scratched it, modified it, and will continue to do so. That's all beside the point of poor craftsmenship when their windshield installing machine was running out of spec, they should stand behind it and fix it... that's all there is to it.

15. Mar 2, 2011 at 7:15 PM
    Who Dat Popcorn

Who Dat Popcorn Dafuq

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    Sold :/
    SOLD
    I understand what you are saying, but $33K and they can't even get a functioning windshield seal? If it was a $5K truck, then okay, whatever...but he spent his hard earned money and they refuse to fix something that will cost them less than an hour to fix.

16. Mar 2, 2011 at 7:21 PM
    rhodehard09

rhodehard09 sometimes nonsense is the only sense someone has

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    tampa, fl
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 doublecab
    3" lift, allpro u-bolt flip kit,285/75/16 km2s, hella hid lights, hid conversions for headlights and foglights, led everything, debadged, 9145 reverse light bulbs, black tail lights, black headlight mod,trail-gear rock sliders, dynomax ultra flo muffler,satoshi with custom woven stainless grill,hella 100watt floods in grill, pioneer 4100 in dash dvd player, pioneer 800watt 4 channel amp, pioneer 4way 6x9s, pioneer 4 way 6.5s, 2 rockford p3 10's,rockford power 500.1 mono amp w/bass knob, 7 pin relocated, highlift and mount in bed, diff breather mod, led bed lights, secondary air filter removed,t-rex eyelids, mefab bumper bar, muddy under carriage
    well sir, my 2007 dc 4x4 did exhibit this same thing on numerous occasions. i would have to disagree that it is a windshield seal problem. first off, if this was a problem with windshield sealing, i'm pretty sure i would be able to blast water through the edge with my pressure washer. secondly, the urethane glue that is used to affix the windshield is approx 1/4 inch thick when applied, so that would mean that either the windshield opening or the glass itself was off by more than 1/4 in(highly unlikely). i am more apt to think that it is caused by the outer windshield gasket vibrating against the glass...bottom line.....let it go man. enjoy your truck...

17. Mar 2, 2011 at 7:21 PM
    rsbmg

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    Hey bro if your happy with junk more power to you I am not. Its defective plain and simple. As for the speed thats a none-issue a vehicle should perform at any speed it is capable of going period. Its not even a speed issue its wind issue so if I am driving 60 into a headwind it will produce the noise. The issue is wind hitting the windshield and causing the top moulding to lift and it creates a kazoo sound. That is BS. As someone stated if I had a 1980 pickup that cost 2500, well cool I wont complain, but that is not the case.

The reason for my thread is to get the word out and see who is getting screwed on this, it sounds like you dont mind getting screwed thats on you I'm not cool with it.

18. Mar 2, 2011 at 7:24 PM
    KAWAIANIANI

KAWAIANIANI Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    TRD BLACKED OUT
    Weather tech stone deflector, Craven speed stubby antennae,DTLT and rear O2 Sims, URD Y pipe, 40 series flowmaster w/ 3" piping. Urd maf calibrator, TRD supercharger, TRD CAI.
    Does it leak water, if its whistling like a kazoo it has to leak water, especially in a car wash. Possibly another way to approach the situation.

19. Mar 2, 2011 at 7:25 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    I've had windshield noises on a half dozen cars. That has to be the absolute worst I've ever heard. Just the inconsistency of it and nails on a chalk board tone. I can almost understand why the OP is going off like he is. Ugh.. I'm irritated just watching that video. If it makes you feel any better, I've had a wind noise similar to that on about 4 different toyotas ranging from 72-90

I've got a question. I mean, I know it's not your "job" and you paid for the warranty. But, Just fix it your self. That's what I have to do when I take my car to a shitty dealer, or dealer "can't duplicate customer complaint" It's not worth my time to have them fix it. "free" ain't free. Its hours out of my schedule and days of inconvenience. I weigh the cost of repair against my salary just as a rule to have a rule. If I can fix it for 20 bucks in half an hour myself, that's what I do. Dealer for removing engines and transmissions, and expensive diagnosis and whatnot. But that's me.

As for fixing it, it sounds like it could be the little moulding strip at the air intake. But it could also be the rubber at some point of the windshield. Get some RTV and stick it down.
    If that doesn't work, it's not the window rubber.

If it's kazooing it doesn't HAVE to be leaking, for several reasons. It could just be vibrating on the paint due to turbulence, cavitation or air leaking under the rubber at one point and blowing out at another all outside. I don't have my truck here or I'd investigate.

20. Mar 2, 2011 at 7:28 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Yea I'm pretty sure it's the molding near the top center of the windshield. I already have a decent chip so I was kinda just... waiting for it to give out lol.

Products Discussed in

To Top