1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota Not Honoring Warranty

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rsbmg, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Mar 3, 2011 at 2:53 PM
    rsbmg

rsbmg [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Doublecab TRD Offroad
    Front Aluminum bumper by Relentless Fab. Smittybuilt Winch Complete set of skids by ATO TC UCA's Fox Ext. Travel Front Reservoirs.
    That is most definitly your windshield/molding. Aside from putting tape on the molding and driving you can also get it up to speed so the noise is constant and just push on the top of the windshield you will find that it will change the pitch of the sound indicating its the molding seal.

2. Mar 3, 2011 at 3:14 PM
    BUZZ5

BUZZ5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S.Carolina
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner DC TRD Sport
    Many
    I agree they should do whatever they need to to satisfy you. I don't know about your state, but here in SC if you have full coverage insurance you can get 1 winshield replacement per year at no cost. It sucks you would have to go that route on a truck you paid that much for, but let's face it, Toyota service sucks majorly for the most part & they are definitely not glass experts. Take it to the experts & get a letter or appraisal & take it back to the dealership & shove it down their arrogant throats.

3. Mar 3, 2011 at 4:08 PM
    rsbmg

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    Front Aluminum bumper by Relentless Fab. Smittybuilt Winch Complete set of skids by ATO TC UCA's Fox Ext. Travel Front Reservoirs.
    I have options I can take on my own to correct the problem, really I'm pushing this for Toyota's benefit. It sounds a bit wishy washy I know but I would like to have this truck for many years to come and if the company is not willing to stand behind it and do the right thing thats going to sour my taste for Toyota. Hard for me to drive around in a truck kowing the manufactuerer makes an inferior product that they wont stand behind. Vehicles like anything have their quirks and issues but ultimately if the manufacturer backs their product and makes things right its all ok in the end. Keeping my fingers crossed that they honor the warranty and keep their promise to me as a consumer to fix this thing if its broken.

4. Mar 3, 2011 at 4:11 PM
    jloe

jloe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    syracuse ny
    Vehicle:
    SR5 2.7 4x4
    TRD alloys, Cooper Tires, Clairion sound, Weathertech floorliners,AVS bugshield,Toyota Toolbox,secondary air filter delete,tailgate antitheft mod,Afe pro dry filter,fog light mod Leather interior mod
    Brother for $33k for the truck I would be pissed too! 2 K mi on my 2011 and I already have the famous blower motor squeal. I wonder what is next?:confused:

5. Mar 3, 2011 at 4:43 PM
    jeepmor

jeepmor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Stumptown
    Just more fuel confirming dealerships SUCK! I have a kick panel rattle that Toyota has "fixed" three times that still doesn't go away. Usually, they make it worse.

You will likely have to fix this one yourself as I will mine OP.

6. Mar 3, 2011 at 5:05 PM
    rsbmg

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    Maybe but you cant roll over and die without a fight. It would be unfair of me to fix it myself and not give Toyota a chance to be the kind of company they should be. If everyone who had these problems made them known it would be easier for us all to get them fixed. My dealer said to me "This problem has been fixed and we have never heard of it occuring on a 2011" Well thats because people are just saying "mehhh its not so bad I will just live with it" Take your trucks in and demand they be fixed this insures we keep Toyota honest and will help them put out a better product in 2012.

7. Mar 3, 2011 at 5:20 PM
    Machete Eddie

Machete Eddie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD OffRoad
    My 2011 does the same sound doing 80 with a strong wind. It bugged the $HIT out of me.

I though it was the luggage rack. I didn't have the problem with my luggage rack crossed over the roof but I pulled over and put them correctly to see if it would make my MPG better. After I placed them into the normal position I started getting that stupid noise. After an hour I pulled back over and crossed the bars back and didn't get the noise again.

8. Mar 3, 2011 at 5:25 PM
    jg7

jg7 Active Member

Member:
    I agree this is BS since it has been a known issue on previous year models. However, they do have to cover their ass because you can't go drive the truck past the redline at 150mph, fry the motor/tranny/diff/brakes and then claim it is defective. You are using the truck outside of its nominal operating range.

The vast majority of crap like this can be fixed with a little troubleshooting and ingenuity. That's what this site is for, so look around, or even better figure out exactly what is going on and try fixing it with some goo or tape. Then post results. Good luck.

9. Mar 3, 2011 at 5:26 PM
    raskal311

raskal311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S. Cal
    5100 set to max, pending LSD and TRD CAI
    They replaced my entire windshield not just reseal it.

10. Mar 3, 2011 at 5:29 PM
    HomeGrown

HomeGrown Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    South Bend, IN
    Vehicle:
    2014 Reg Cab 4WD
    I know this noise well! Our 2005 D-cab company truck was a customer buy-back for this reason. Of course, this was back in '05 when it first started showing up. I was of the understanding that they fixed it, but apparently not. It is not the windshield seal, it's the trim around the window. Not that you should HAVE to "fix" such a thing on a brand new truck, but you could pop off the trim and put some silicone sealer behind it and pop it back on. I believe this would take care of the problem.
    I'm really surprised/disappointed that the Taco is still having this issue, and the service department doesn't know exactly what it is and how to fix it.

11. Mar 3, 2011 at 5:32 PM
    rsbmg

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    The noise is produced by wind over the windshield speed is irrelevant. So for instance coming back from a trip against a strong wind it was making the noise while driving 60 on a freeway with a 65mph speed limit. I drove 90 during the test drive to make it loud and steady. 90 is not how fast I have to drive to make the sound occure.

12. Mar 3, 2011 at 6:29 PM
    GetBarelled

GetBarelled √ Back in a Taco again √

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    SF Bay
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR 4x4
    Billy 5100's all around. Otherwise, the truck is OLD and STOCK.
    Kyouto42 - Your avatar pic is badass. Is that rock rocking out? :headbang:

13. Mar 3, 2011 at 6:30 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    So, a few people seem to know exactly what the sound is, I know how I can make it stop, but curious as to its severity (i dont have it just thinking).

Is this actually wind penetrating the windshield hole or is it just the rubber getting air under it in the outside and vibrating against the body?

Either way, I would imagine a bead of silly cone would fix it right up. Though it may not be the right thing to do.

14. Mar 3, 2011 at 6:37 PM
    rsbmg

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    Its air lifting the lip of the molding away from the windshield. A glass company already re-sealed it which did not work. I then added additional silicone just to see and that didnt fix it either. I imagine it needs to be quite a bit more silicone or a stronger adhesive. But overall probably a new molding sealed properly in the first place would correct it.

15. Mar 3, 2011 at 6:40 PM
    GetBarelled

GetBarelled √ Back in a Taco again √

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    SF Bay
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR 4x4
    Billy 5100's all around. Otherwise, the truck is OLD and STOCK.
    more and more I am becoming convinced quality control went out the window once they started their SCION crap branch. The 2004 models and before are just made more solid. maybe toyota spread themselves too thin?

16. Mar 3, 2011 at 10:14 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    Well the outer molding isn't "sealed" against the cab. Its just forced in there. Granted, proper fit makes it sit properly. It's possible, texas and mexican production and all, that there's some window hole or windshield variance that's making the seal slack enough to do that. If tape will stop it, I'd think silly cone would. Maybe something more like parbond or automotive goop. You could hold a windshield in with that stuff if you were so inclined.

I used to be an RV technician. Some people would buy a 300000 dollar RV full of all kinds of crazy crap or a 10000 dollar 20 year old used one and want it to have no rattles or wind noise. I fixed almost all those problems with parbond (the brand parts bought). I'd get a ticket that would say "window whistles at speed" on some piece of shit winny and the only thing the foreman would accept was NO noise. Pain in the ass, but it can all be fixed.

17. Mar 4, 2011 at 2:57 AM
    chad68

chad68 Master Jedi Member I am...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    In a (Toyota) van down by the river! Sonoma Cownty
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 reg cab. Modded with more to come
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap
    Get somebody with an electric leaf blower (less noise than gas) and have them move it around till you hear the sound, pinpoint the exact spot and fix it.

Or if you have a wind tunnel nearby, take your service manager and have them crank it up to 90MPH and say this is what I hear at 60MPH with a 30MPH headwind.

Personally I would just torch it and collect insurance and buy another one but that's just me.

18. Mar 4, 2011 at 11:15 AM
    rsbmg

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    I doubt the leaf blower would generate the volume of air required to duplicate the problem. One thing I was tossing around was posing this option to the dealer;

I understand that exceeding the speed limit to generate the issue in non-ambient wind conditions is not something the dealer can do.

I also will throw them a bone and stipulate that they can't take my word for it that the problem still exists.

BUT can you guys think of any reason why, if I drove to the dealer, met with the service manager so he could verify my vehicle and then with a video camera recording the whole time drove my vehicle, duplicated the problem and returned directly to the dealership (a 5 minute process) then allowed them to review the tape that they couldnt then be satisfied that my truck in deed had an issue that required repairing?

19. Mar 4, 2011 at 11:25 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    I got the same problem with my 2007... it comes around 90 like you say, but it's also comes driving in crosswinds in the slipstream of semi's and wow, it's startled me a couple times.

You got one very good option... there is a TSB that describes a fix on earlier model/year Tacoma's. The fix is super easy... I'll try to find it and tell you the number. But, if you just wanting a reason to be raggin' on Toyota this sounds like a good one.

EDIT: it's NV006-07 google it with windshield noise tacoma and you'll find it

20. Mar 4, 2011 at 11:39 AM
    rsbmg

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    I have the TSB, the dealer said they performed it and it did not fix the problem.

Products Discussed in

To Top