1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota Off-Road: Are we really better?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by james, Jun 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 24, 2012 at 12:27 PM
    mentose457

mentose457 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Doesnt look that small...

[​IMG]

2. Jun 24, 2012 at 12:33 PM
    Corndawg

Corndawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2007 double cab TRD off road Radiant Red
    2.5 inch pro comp lift Cobra XRS 9745 Detector 15 band scanner Pioneer DEH-P6900UB Python 991 remote start/ security. Tinted license plate covers Fog Light Mod PIAA Extreme White 4000K Replacement bulbs Red LED Dome and Map lights LED replacement tail light bulbs Black Weather Tech Floor Liners front and rear
    X2
    thats right Yota all the Way In my opinion

3. Jun 24, 2012 at 12:49 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Define "better". Then we can have this discussion. Toyotas excel at some things, have their weaknesses like everything else. They are as good a starting point for an offroad vehicle as any other 4x4 you will find in a showroom.

Let me know when you've all got it figured out.

4. Jun 24, 2012 at 12:57 PM
    CantSitStill

CantSitStill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    FTR
    CNY
    Not having read most of the posts, I will say this;

1) Bone stock I say nothing beats a two door Jeep with the Rubicon package for Offroad.

2) ANY vehicle can be made into a capable offroader with enough time and money.

HOWEVER, driver ability will get you much further than ANY specific vehicle.

My $.02

5. Jun 24, 2012 at 1:02 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

#2 Is only true if you consider a vehicle the same vehicle when the entire suspension, drivetrain, engine has been replaced with something else. Is a SAS'd 1998 Taco with a chevy 350 and associated tranny swapped in rolling on 38s still a Taco?

Grey area aplenty shows up during builds. But I will allow almost any vehicle that comes stock with a transfer case can be made quite capable for $20,000 or less.

6. Jun 24, 2012 at 1:22 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    I love it, I duck out and take the high road last night and stop arguing and u ass hats act like you beat me and bullied me out of the thread. that's bull shit.

Look connor we have said this over and over. You are a cool guy. But fuck man you buy this stupid cherokee and lift it and throw on some 31 inch tires and now you are showing it off because instantly its a more bad ass wheeling rig than everyone else's taco. Go brag about it on a jeep forum but showing it off here constantly is just annoying.

7. Jun 24, 2012 at 1:25 PM
    BulletToothTony

BulletToothTony You’ll have that on these big jobs.

Member:
    First Name:
    You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
    So when i saw the title of this thread i thought it was talking about this

8. Jun 24, 2012 at 1:26 PM
    thegame

thegame Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Folsom, CA
    Yeah both trucks have their weak points but all BS aside, I chose a truck I can easily work on and depend on every day. Originally, before trading in my first truck (2wd Ford Ranger) I knew I wanted a truck that was reliable. I didn't want IFS, I wanted a solid axle. I was considering an XJ but didn't want to deal with a unibody or the weak stock axles and didn't want to have to lift it to fit 31" tires. I ended up with my first Tacoma and couldn't have been happier with it. The way Toyota designed these trucks is bare bones simple. Not to forget Toyotas use ALL metric hardware on everything. Toyota is smart in their design. Jeep, not so much. Sure Jeep still uses a straight axle, lockers, short wheelbase (can hinder you more than it helps, I think) but they skimp on smaller components. A friend of mine went to Pismo earlier this month and broke an upper link in half on his Rubicon. He sent me a picture and it literally looked like sheet metal curved into a U shape. WTF? Can't forget that Fiat now owns 50% of Jeep. When's the last time you saw a Fiat on the trail? LOL

9. Jun 24, 2012 at 1:35 PM
    rsbmg

rsbmg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Doublecab TRD Offroad
    Front Aluminum bumper by Relentless Fab. Smittybuilt Winch Complete set of skids by ATO TC UCA's Fox Ext. Travel Front Reservoirs.
    I have owned 2 tacomas, a CJ7, an XJ, and a TJ unlimited wheeled all of them.

Reading through this thread (minus the bickering) I'm curious how many posting here with "opinions" speak from any real experience?

It's impossible and unreasonable to have a which is better discussion without clearly defining what specifically you are interested in comparing.

I see far to much straight axle love floating around this forum in general. A straight axle does not a offroad vehicle make. It has its place but to say straight axle is better than IFS as a blanket statement is ignorant and generally shows a lack of understanding overall.

The bottom line really is if your vehicle takes you everywhere you want to go then you found yourself a winner.

10. Jun 24, 2012 at 1:39 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    Hahahahhaha! I forgot about that! Nice post ben. That jeep was stuck like 3 different ways and took forever to get free. My open diff ifs pile of shit made it through fine with little drama.
    I believe you would more of a fan boy here, boasting about how much better your sport jeep is than everything else
    Well my name was mentioned about 7 times...so yes.

11. Jun 24, 2012 at 1:41 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Even jeep dudes rag on XJs. There will come a time you will realize you'd have been better off in something with a frame and real axles just as many xj guys have. Well I guess only if you ever wheel hard enough to need more than 31s.

Wgaf what you have though. Stock tacomas wheel pretty damn well regardless.

Oh and I've had a tj and a scout both were good 4x4s. The jeep was great on 33s open lsd but the tacoma is a much better vehicle all around.

12. Jun 24, 2012 at 1:43 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Very nice input man! Great having someones opnion backed up with tons of expericne.

13. Jun 24, 2012 at 1:49 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Why don't u and connor go rub eachother off k? You have contributed absolutly nothing to this thread other than adding jabs to anyone that might actually be posting pros to the taco and posting stupid generic internet comments.

14. Jun 24, 2012 at 1:56 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

KodiakToyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    Wow this is still going? :facepalm:

15. Jun 24, 2012 at 2:03 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Tacomas suck...

My old Ford Exploder did a much better job in the trails

16. Jun 24, 2012 at 2:23 PM
    thegame

thegame Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Folsom, CA
    Well said! I fully believe you can drive whatever you get to whatever extent you want. An uneducated person believes their vehicle takes them where they want to go, not themselves. Just the same as a poor technician blames his tools for his problems.

I happen to have a holier-than-thou attitude because logically, Toyota's make more sense

[​IMG]

17. Jun 24, 2012 at 2:47 PM
    1998tacomaowner

1998tacomaowner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    clarkston WA
    Vehicle:
    98 toyota tacoma
    3in lift,33s
    Jeeps don't have a bed or the reliability that I want but I like Jeeps solid axle but I go hunting I don't want to put a deer or elk in the back of a jeep
    Bottom line tacomas have beds

18. Jun 24, 2012 at 2:55 PM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    You say those two things way too much for them to have any bite anymore.

New material would go a long way for some chuckles

:eek:

19. Jun 24, 2012 at 2:58 PM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    I got way back into Red Feather's lakes area with some serious mud and creek crossings (last summer) and when I got to the end of a particular trail, there was a PT Cruiser back there. Faux wood paneling and all.

I nearly shat myself.

20. Jun 24, 2012 at 3:01 PM
    buzzard1992

buzzard1992 Yep

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Summerville, SC
    Vehicle:
    01 4wd trd, 255/85/16 km2s
    5100's with eibachs. And 255/85/16 km2s
    Im sure it had 28inch chrome wheels too haha