1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota Refuses To Replace My Frame

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ToyotaRacingDev, Dec 11, 2018.

?

Will Toyota Do Frame Replacement

1. No

8 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Keep dreaming

24 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. Dec 11, 2018 at 8:56 AM
    ToyotaRacingDev

ToyotaRacingDev [OP] SWO Tacoma Enthusiast

Member:
    London, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Hey Guys,

The truck was taken to Toyota dealer in different city two months ago and was undercoated. Recently the majority of the undercoat has peeled off and the rust has gotten worse. I called Toyota customer service to no avail, emailed them, and created a complaint against the head office via BBB. I received a call from work from somebody high up in the Toyota chain, they came off as very aggressive and aggravated at me over the phone while I remained calm. They bluntly told me that Toyota was going to do nothing for me and that it was my problem, he was almost yelling telling me that Toyota would do nothing. I was surprised that someone from Toyota called me while very pissed off, I must've created a headache for that guy idk. I would like to work with Toyota and not against Toyota.

I contacted two dealerships in my city (not original), left a message for both service managers and only heard back from one of the service managers. I have to take my hat off to Peter at Toyota-town, he has been a really level headed guy this whole ordeal and very kind to speak with. He agreed to make an appointment this Friday and take a second look at the frame. The problem is that Toyota really doesn't want to replace the frame, it's very annoying to deal with this that they will squirm out of frame replacement any ways they can.

IMG_8169.jpg

From what I've inspected there are two small holes in what I believe is the motor mounts. There is a plate underneath the transmission that is also disintegrating like potato chips. Tons of rust on the frame but I haven't found penetrations elsewhere. I haven't really looked too hard elsewhere, I've been checking where the undercoat has been peeling. Not really sure what to do, I really cannot afford to dissemble the truck to sandblast the frame. Thank you very much guys for reading the thread.

IMG_8161.jpg
    IMG_8163.jpg
    IMG_8164.jpg
    IMG_8165.jpg
    IMG_8166.jpg
    IMG_8167.jpg
    IMG_8168.jpg
    IMG_8170.jpg
    IMG_8171.jpg
    DSC_3571.jpg

2. Dec 11, 2018 at 9:00 AM
    vtwinjunkie

vtwinjunkie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport
    Bilstein 5100's, 885 coils, Dakar Leafs, SPC LR UCA's, 275-70-17
    What are the details of the truck?

3. Dec 11, 2018 at 9:18 AM
    ToyotaRacingDev

Member:
    London, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD Sport
    What details? it's a 2008 Double Cab, 300,000km

4. Dec 11, 2018 at 9:20 AM
    vtwinjunkie

vtwinjunkie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport
    Bilstein 5100's, 885 coils, Dakar Leafs, SPC LR UCA's, 275-70-17
    Those details.

None of that was listed in the original listing.

5. Dec 11, 2018 at 9:22 AM
    ToyotaRacingDev

Member:
    London, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I apologize, the year is only relevant when it comes to recall because it's based on years

george101 likes this.
  6. Dec 11, 2018 at 9:57 AM
    ToyotaRacingDev

Member:
    London, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I've found that the best use of the bottle jack that comes with the truck is to use two of those long straight extender arms together to whack on hard to reach places of the frame for penetrations

UnloadedRex and stealthmode like this.
  7. Dec 11, 2018 at 10:11 AM
    96carboard

96carboard Well-Known Member

Member:
    The vote is pointless and I refuse to participate in it.

As for the frame replacement, I believe that the qualification for a frame replacement is that you have a clear through hole within which fits a circle with a 10mm (about half inch) diameter. Basically, the size of a dime. I do see that you have a hole in your frame, but it isn't clear if its big enough to qualify. You might be able to massage it wider with a hammer and chisel.

Fatmonk8, Blais03, austin2009 and 2 others like this.
  8. Dec 11, 2018 at 10:14 AM
    96carboard

Member:
    It is listed in his profile though, which you can see if you look to the <-- of any of his posts.

george101 likes this.
  9. Dec 11, 2018 at 10:21 AM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    Jeez, it’s probably in your favor at least that the undercoat is flaking off.

People complain that Toyota workers do crap job with the undercoat but I think sometimes it’s for the better, that way the frame fails on a beneficial time scale to the customer rather than past the replacement date.

10. Dec 11, 2018 at 10:26 AM
    lynyrd3

lynyrd3 STRENGTH DETERMINATION MERCILESS FOREVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 AC SUPER WHITE V6 4x4 AT / 2020 RAV4 XLE
    Bilstein 6112s top setting ,Total Chaos UCAs ,1/4" top plate spacer driver side ,SS extended brake lines ,Old Man Emu Medium Duty Dakar leaf springs with AAL,OME carrier bearing shim , Bilstein 5125s for 2-3” of lift in rear ,Timbren SES bump stops , SS extended brake lines rear , Toytec dif drop , Hayden high performance transmission fluid cooler,aFe pro dry air filter .Baja amber driving combo ditch lights , Devil horns by Andres ,Weathertecs floor protector, American Racing wheels Baja 17x8,4.5 BS , 285/70 Falken Wildpeaks AT/3W .Body Armor rear bumper . Extra D rings in bed ,Blue sea fuse block and 100amp breaker ,HomerTaco custom grill in Super White , TRD radiator cap ,Birddawg Industries rear view mirror riser bracket ,Coverking NeoSupreme Mossy Oak seat covers , Paranoid Fabrications fuse /relay holder Painted pinch weld.Shorty antenna ,HVAC knob mod ,LED dome and map lights , Tri Fold bed cover ,UltraGauge ,Morimoto XB LED fog lights ,Energy Suspension poly body bushings and sway bar bushings ! Geartech Customs splash guards ,Salex center console organizer . Mobtown tailgate cap ,tailgate anti theft mod .X-Mat sound deadening/insulation cab floor . Mobtown weld on rock sliders 0* with kickout Raptor lined . ,NEW frame courtesy of Toyota !
    Start beating on your frame with a hammer . That’s what I did and I could not find a hole . Local dealer passed frame inspection and set me up with an appointment for coating the frame like 2 months later . A week before that date I canceled the appointment and took it to a different dealer 90 miles away and they found a hole . Long story short ,I have a new frame ! :D

11. Dec 11, 2018 at 10:30 AM
    vwbuggsy

vwbuggsy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clinton, MD
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4X4 LB Black Sand Pearl
    N-fab steps, Wet Okole Covers, line-x, tint, vent shades, budget stereo upgrades, weathertech floor liners
    The holes that I can see look rather small, borderline at best. They don't replace just for scale rust or delamination.

Why are you in such a hurry for a new frame? There is rust but nothing that looks unsafe or that meets the 10 mm size requirement. The longer you can ride on what you have, the more total years you're likely to get out of the truck. I was really hoping mine would last until closer to the end date of the replacement period without needing the replacement, personally. They aren't going to replace the frame again after this I think. So if the new frame lasts say 10 years then each year I can go with the existing frame is one more year I can use the truck.

Based on 2008, you've got a couple more years before the "extended frame warranty" ends. I can almost guarantee it will be rusted enough by next year, particularly if you don't rinse or wash the frame.

Of course not everybody intends to keep their truck until death does them part so I guess I can see where my way of thinking wouldn't apply to everybody. Were you trying to sell it? If so I can see your hurry.

I had a friend of mine suggest shoving a tube sock full of rock salt in the boxed portion of the frame for a few months. Maryland uses salt (or something like it) enough at the slightest smell of snow in the air that this was not necessary. Even trying to keep it from rusting I recently found quarter and larger sizes holes in mine.

Try some different dealers, Toyota corporate can't see your truck they have to rely on the dealer for that and the right inspection might make a difference.

I hope it works out for you,
    Buggsy

12. Dec 11, 2018 at 10:31 AM
    lynyrd3

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 6112s top setting ,Total Chaos UCAs ,1/4" top plate spacer driver side ,SS extended brake lines ,Old Man Emu Medium Duty Dakar leaf springs with AAL,OME carrier bearing shim , Bilstein 5125s for 2-3” of lift in rear ,Timbren SES bump stops , SS extended brake lines rear , Toytec dif drop , Hayden high performance transmission fluid cooler,aFe pro dry air filter .Baja amber driving combo ditch lights , Devil horns by Andres ,Weathertecs floor protector, American Racing wheels Baja 17x8,4.5 BS , 285/70 Falken Wildpeaks AT/3W .Body Armor rear bumper . Extra D rings in bed ,Blue sea fuse block and 100amp breaker ,HomerTaco custom grill in Super White , TRD radiator cap ,Birddawg Industries rear view mirror riser bracket ,Coverking NeoSupreme Mossy Oak seat covers , Paranoid Fabrications fuse /relay holder Painted pinch weld.Shorty antenna ,HVAC knob mod ,LED dome and map lights , Tri Fold bed cover ,UltraGauge ,Morimoto XB LED fog lights ,Energy Suspension poly body bushings and sway bar bushings ! Geartech Customs splash guards ,Salex center console organizer . Mobtown tailgate cap ,tailgate anti theft mod .X-Mat sound deadening/insulation cab floor . Mobtown weld on rock sliders 0* with kickout Raptor lined . ,NEW frame courtesy of Toyota !
    Oh yea , after the hammer treatment I had a huge pile of rust flakes and reached my hand into the part of the frame where I could and pulled out piles of rusty metal .

cleats50 and george101 like this.
  13. Dec 11, 2018 at 10:32 AM
    TegoTaco

TegoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White Tacoma DCLB TRD SPORT
    Looks brittle enough to make it bigger by hand, don’t give up!

14. Dec 11, 2018 at 10:32 AM
    96carboard

Member:
    Speaking of piles of rust flakes... I recommend wearing safety glasses for this procedure.

15. Dec 11, 2018 at 10:38 AM
    lynyrd3

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    :thumbsup:

ToyotaRacingDev[OP] likes this.
  16. Dec 11, 2018 at 10:48 AM
    ToyotaRacingDev

Member:
    London, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I will try different dealers, Thank you. I am planning on keeping the truck for as long as I can with no plans on flipping it in sight. The rusted out frame really bothers me, I am trying to remove all the rust off the truck and clean it up

17. Dec 11, 2018 at 10:52 AM
    jross20

jross20 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5 4x4 | V6 | Auto
    Tundra 5100s F+R, OME 880s+890s, duro bumps, etc
    Lawyer time

18. Dec 11, 2018 at 10:56 AM
    96carboard

Member:
    Not yet. Not until (a) the truck actually qualifies, and (b) all other avenues have been attempted.

ToyotaRacingDev[OP] likes this.
  19. Dec 11, 2018 at 11:02 AM
    jross20

jross20 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5 4x4 | V6 | Auto
    Tundra 5100s F+R, OME 880s+890s, duro bumps, etc
    The frame looks absolutely horrible. How does it not qualify? I've seen users with frames no where near as bad get a new one.

cleats50 and ToyotaRacingDev[OP] like this.
  20. Dec 11, 2018 at 11:09 AM
    96carboard

Member:
    Atlas86 and ToyotaRacingDev[OP] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top