1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

toyota undercoating?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by BerniniCaCO3, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Oct 27, 2011 at 7:36 AM
    BerniniCaCO3

BerniniCaCO3 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi!

I've got a 15 year old truck that isn't too badly rusted for its age, and I want to keep it that way. The rear axle is red, some of the brake and fuel lines are not leaking but show blooms of corrosion, and towards the front one part of the frame has some perforations. It's under the accumulator and a/c evaporator both.

As I want to keep this for at least another 5 years, I'm wondering if undercoating makes sense?

The local toyota dealer wants $100 to undercoat the frame, $150 if I do floorpans too. Err, that's an inside deal. Retail might be higher.
    They say there's an official toyota product that's a rust inhibitor, also, and claim that it's not an issue if there's already rust present (that it won't trap and seal in moisture, just exacerbating the issue), and that they spray something else inside the frame rails also.

I understand that a modern unibody car rarely benefits from undercoating, but this is an older full-frame truck, and it's rusting.
    Does undercoating make sense?
    or can it trap in rust and salt?

Alternatively I've heard that just spraying oil can help?

2. Oct 27, 2011 at 7:37 AM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    Welcome to TW from Orlando!

If this is a 1st generation Tacoma, have you had it officially inspected by Toyota to be sure it does not qualify for the recall?

Fink

3. Oct 31, 2011 at 2:30 PM
    maxpower29

maxpower29 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 2.7 5 speed SWB
    All season mats, 2nd filter delete, DT header, Jardine cat-back, URD shifter, Bilstein 5100's all around at .85 front with Eibachs + .25 passenger/.5 drivers spacers and 1.5 AAL, 0w20 synthetic, Scanguage II, extra D rings, OEM backup camera+Mirror, bed mat, Extang Solid Fold, Popnlock 5300, Pro Comp 7089's 4.5bs 285/70/17 Revo 2s, De-badged
    I would scrape any surface rust off, then use primer galvanized stuff then use black spray paint, then get it undercoated. The undercoating will just hid the rust for a bit. I did that before to a 2000 silverado I owned and it worked amazing. only a few cans of each too

4. Oct 31, 2011 at 8:25 PM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    Bernini, Before you spend a dime, have the frame inspected at a Toyota dealer. You say you have rust perforation in your frame. That qualifies you for Toyota Corporation, not the dealer, to buy your truck for 150% of resale value, meaning that is the best deal in town. My 98 Tacoma frame rusted through, Toyota Corporation bought my truck for almost $12,000. Blue book trade in value was in the area of $4500.

5. Nov 22, 2011 at 11:56 AM
    RbGar

RbGar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Little Rhody RI
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    Toytec ultimate kit w/Radflo option, UCA's, OME Dakar, 4x SpiderTrax 1.25", DuraTrac's, WickedFlow
    i have a stock 05 trd ac and thinking of fixing/upgrading it up w/a lift, tires, exhaust etc but the frame is pretty rusty, my mechanic says its not too bad, just dont want to throw a couple grand at it if its not worth it.

Products Discussed in

To Top