1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota's runaway-car worries may not stop at floor mats

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by surfsupl, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Oct 20, 2009 at 8:45 PM
    warpwr

warpwr Junior Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vaughn
    S.F. Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport Access Cab
    DRL mod with switch, rear spring TSB, trans TSB, tailgate mod, snug-top shell.
    CHP patrol officer's must go through CHP driving school and pass before they even go to police academy. If they can't do that part, they fail.

I think the point people are trying to make is that maybe this guy was above average in driving ability because of his training and this still happened to him.

Also consider the fact that he might not have even been a patrol officer, he might have been a bookkeeper or even a motorcycle officer.

2. Oct 20, 2009 at 9:02 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    Above average driving, or not, a mistake can be made at any level of skill. When it's all said and done, I hope we know if he made a mistake or not, if so what it was. It Doesn't seem likely we will ever know though.

3. Oct 20, 2009 at 10:17 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    They speculate on what should be done to avoid it.

That's good...

But - when your in a life threatening situation where seconds (or less) makes the difference between life & death...... there's no way in hell some of these people had any time to think about what to do and how to do it. The *moment* happens so fast, you're lucky if you remember it.

4. Oct 20, 2009 at 11:59 PM
    cwrose

cwrose Don't spreadsheet this...

Member:
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma TRD OR DCSB in MGM
    I'm not intending to criticize the CHP officer. My comment on knowing how to operate equipment before it is used is generic and made in response to the article speculating that perhaps the fact that the Lexus ES350 had the "smart key" system prevented the driver from shutting the engine down and that some drivers are "confused" by the autostick transmissions.

It is an extremely tragic event that unfortunately some details will never be known. Like many have been saying and all the articles state, it is all up in the air as to what really happened. I'm simply giving my two cents regarding the situation, not the drivers skills or motives.

Products Discussed in

To Top