1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toytec Coilovers (need help)

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by jbb1073, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Oct 18, 2008 at 5:26 PM
    jbb1073

jbb1073 [OP] Member

Member:
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Camburg UCAs, Toytec Coilovers (set at 2.5"), Rear 2" AAL, Rear Billy 5125s.
    Hi!
    I've got a 2009 4x4 TRD Sport QC/LB, and I've recently put a small lift on it. I went with Toytec coilovers, and I think they're rubbing my sway-bar when I take a turn over a bump (turning into parking lots when there's an incline/decline, etc.). It's really annoying.
    At 1st I was thinking that my sway-bar brackets were the problem (relocation brackets are installed), but I took it all apart today & greased them thoroughly. That wasn't it.
    While I was down there, I noticed that the outer part of the coil was really darn close to the sway-bar when the wheels are turned. I'm thinking that when I hit an incline/decline it's pushing the sway-bar up to the point where it's rubbing the outer coil (and making a horrible groaning sound).
    Any ideas on how to fix this? I really like the look of the truck now, but it's not very functional... Playing off road is definitely out of the question until I get this fixed…

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. Oct 18, 2008 at 5:47 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    welcome to tacoma world jbb

3. Oct 18, 2008 at 6:20 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    Keep me posted on what you find out and do. I just ordered the coilovers from ToyTec last week and installing next Friday...

Did you get the adjustable coilovers? What about struts? I ordered the 5100s.

4. Oct 18, 2008 at 6:30 PM
    jbb1073

jbb1073 [OP] Member

Member:
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Sure. I'm going to play with it again tomorrow & possibly take some pics. I ended up going with the preassembled (just swap them out for original) coilovers. They ride great,,, until I turn & go over a bump at the same time (bad grinding noise). Otherwise,,, if I'm driving straight, they do great on uneven terrain.

5. Oct 20, 2008 at 10:07 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    Get it figured out?

6. Oct 22, 2008 at 6:01 AM
    jbb1073

jbb1073 [OP] Member

Member:
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Nope, not yet. I took the wheels off & looked around, but couldn't really find anything that stood out. I did notice a small rub spot on the pinch weld portion of the mud flap (it was only about the size of a quarter). Judging from the sound I'm hearing, I doubt that it's the culprit.
    However, I think I've ruled out the coilover rubbing the sway-bar theory. I looked at the inside bend on the sway-bar, and there weren't any marks. Again, judging by the awful sound, if it was hitting the sway-bar it would have left some pretty obvious evidence.
    I guess I’m at a loss on this one. I’m going to remove the mud flaps & see what that does, but I’m not thinking that will do anything to help (other than maybe avoid a little rubbing).
    If anyone has any ideas, please shoot em’ over. The sound I’m hearing is almost as if you’re rubbing a balloon with your finger (however, much louder & deeper with a noticeable quick vibration).

7. Oct 22, 2008 at 6:32 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    x2... I think your tire is rubbing - what size tires are you running?

8. Oct 22, 2008 at 6:33 AM
    awymore997

awymore997 Quitting is for Quitters

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab TRD OFRD 6 speed
    I'll 2nd that.

Go get your BFH and show the body mount whos boss.

9. Oct 22, 2008 at 6:50 AM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    I would think the same thing - rubbing. However, do you hear it 100% of the time or just when you turn? And when you're turning and you hear it, is it both forward and reverse or just reverse?

10. Oct 23, 2008 at 5:55 AM
    jbb1073

jbb1073 [OP] Member

Member:
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Thanks guys,
    I've been paying more attention to it now, and maybe it is just a rub. I'm running 275/65/18s (32") with 2 1/2" of lift.
    I've never heard the sound when I'm taking say a 45* angle into a turn, but any more than that (only when on an incline/decline) and I hear it. I've also heard it once or twice when backing up out of my driveway (which has an incline).
    What's got me boggled is the sound it's self. I've heard tires rubbing many times, and it's usually a quick machine gun type sound. This is more like a groan/squeal (almost if rubber is touching metal). That's why I was thinking it was the sway-bar (or it's bushings). I'm going to try the BFH approach & see what happens. Probably get after it this weekend. I'll keep ya'll posted!

11. Oct 28, 2008 at 7:46 PM
    jbb1073

jbb1073 [OP] Member

Member:
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Well, took the front mud flaps off this past weekend, and I have not heard the noise since! Guess it was just a case of the rubs...
    Whew....

12. Oct 28, 2008 at 7:51 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    great news jbb. that was an easy fix

13. Oct 28, 2008 at 9:43 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
  14. Oct 29, 2008 at 2:22 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    good deal... :D

Products Discussed in