1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toytec lift, and extremely harsh ride?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by drewskie, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Dec 8, 2014 at 9:13 PM
    Bluetaco03

Bluetaco03 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad Double Cab
    Too many to list haha jk 1) 3" Toyotec lift 2) 18" Fuel pump rims 3) LT285 65 18 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T 4) TRD Cold Air Intake 5) Bilstein 5100's 6) Blacked out badges
    Hi guys! Don't mean to jack the thread but I think I found the right forum subject for my question. I am a recent no on so forgive the stupid question.... So like the other folks on this forum I'm noticing a harsher ride from my truck after installing a lift ( to be expected ) , however , I was hoping to maybe tell you what kind of setup I have , a few comments I noticed during install, and maybe you guys could shed some light on the matter.

I very recently got some New springs installed with a block and add a leaf in the rear. I already had the Bilstein 5100 adjustable in the front and the stock 5100's in the rear. So the 3" lift kit did come with a small spacer , however during install the truck shop told me that he was not going to use it because they he could not fasten the nut on the top of the bolt (I believe there are there bolts/nuts on top). He said to correct this he was going to adjust my shocks to the next setting (~1.5") to allow for the additional threads to tighten the three nuts.

So fast forwarding , I have added larger tires 285 65 R18s. I put some Nitto Trail Grappler M/T (load range E :/). New rims too......finally I got a wheel alignment.

The minute I got my lift and New tire/rim set up I noticed the ride change (for obvious reasons). It was a lot firmer than before and I did notice bumps sometimes more. Driving on the highway (~65mph) and in a construction zone....I hit a narrow rather tall bump in the road and I just heard the loudest thud ever. Everything was okay but it just made me realized how harsh the ride really was. Keep in mind , at this time I was driving,with a tire pressure of about 35psi (max pressure on tire is 40 psi). So the next day I bleed the tires down to about 31psi and instantly felt better control and road handling. I still felt a little bouncy on some road bumps but not too bad. Any ideas on Why my ride was that rough and maybe things I can do to make it better?

Once again I'm sorry for the long story and attention to detail but this really is my first truck, lift and rims/tires. I've learned a great deal from certain forums but maybe I'm missing the details.

1208141659a.jpg
    1208141659.jpg
    1128141050.jpg
    1208141659b.jpg
    1206141108.jpg

2. Dec 11, 2014 at 9:23 AM
    la0d0g

la0d0g Its 4 o’clock somewhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    running for the hills
    Vehicle:
    For crawling not hauling

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  3. Dec 11, 2014 at 9:51 AM
    Bluetaco03

Bluetaco03 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list haha jk 1) 3" Toyotec lift 2) 18" Fuel pump rims 3) LT285 65 18 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T 4) TRD Cold Air Intake 5) Bilstein 5100's 6) Blacked out badges
    So i was told this was a toytec lift kit. I bought this off another Tacoma owner off of Craigslist. The lift parts installed were basically the longer springs in the front ( with my billy 5100 adjustables on the second ring setting of ~1.5") and in the rear i added a leaf spring and the block (not sure on the height of the block).

4. Dec 11, 2014 at 9:59 AM
    Mr Salty

Mr Salty "Give up the good to go for the great"

Member:
    First Name:
    Hermmy
    SoCal (Bro Capital of the world)
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 Pre-runner
    Lots of chrome
    My advice.... if you have a 2wd truck just do a spindle lift and forget about coils and spacers. I'd rather be a little higher than what I want (spindles provide 3.5-4” depending on manufacturer) and maintain a good ride vs. compromising the ride/down travel using coils and spacers.

5. Dec 11, 2014 at 10:00 AM
    Westside

Westside Southbound

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Nor Cal, East Bay
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4X4
    Load range E Trail Grapplers have an 80 PSI max. Double check your current tire pressure. 35 should be fine.

Consider UCA upgrade and appropriate alignment and that will improve roadability as well as off road suspension travel.

Beyond those suggestions we need to know what coils you have. You may need to make a change there as well

6. Dec 11, 2014 at 10:14 AM
    Bluetaco03

Bluetaco03 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys. Good stuff. So looking at the toytec website it looks like i got either Boss springs or the 3" coil springs from Toytec. Couple things though guys, I know the 80psi is the max for my tires, but ive my ride was getting worse as i got to the 40 psi mark.
    Definately wouldnt mind throwing another couple hundred for a better ride. On the alignment, i got it done at Firestone and they kept on emphasizing to me that they could not go beyond the vehicle manufacture specs. They got me within that spec but i mean since ive changed all kinds of angles and put heavier tires/wheels. Is there another range of alignment specs i should be following?

Products Discussed in

To Top