1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toytec top plate spacer question

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Shrumple, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Sep 6, 2009 at 11:46 AM
    Shrumple

Shrumple [OP] Member

Member:
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Offroad
    So, I just installed a set of SAW Racerunner coilovers on my '09 DC and wanted them set at 2.5" of lift. But it took way too much preload on the coils to get there. Ended up around 2" of lift instead.

Was wondering, if I bought two of the Toytec top plate spacers (to add .5" to each side) would I need to remove the coilovers all over again? Or is there enough room in there to wedge the spacers in?

I REALLY don't want to take the front end apart again... if for no other reason than I don't wanna have to get another alignment done.

thanks

2. Sep 6, 2009 at 12:48 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Pretty sure you have to take the struts out again. The top plate spacers have holes that the studs go thru..and I don't think you can get the struts down far enuf without taking them out...Sorry.

3. Sep 6, 2009 at 1:20 PM
    Shrumple

Shrumple [OP] Member

Member:
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Offroad
    the coilovers I have don't have studs on top. The bolts that hold them in actually go from the top down (the coilover cap has threaded holes). So, do you think I can get the coilovers to compress that 1/4" for me to slide the spacers in???

4. Sep 6, 2009 at 1:25 PM
    cjimenRR

cjimenRR Be Good or Be Good At It

Member:
    North Hollywood, Ca
    Vehicle:
    12' Sport DC,LB, 4x4
    I'll let you know Tuesday evening as I have the exact same setup and will be adding the spaces Tuesday. I'm pretty sure I'll b able to sneak the spacer in but I have a hoist at my job which makes things easier. Right now I'm heading to home depot to find longer bolts for the top of the coilovers

5. Sep 6, 2009 at 1:37 PM
    r12rex

r12rex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cleared headlights, Black emblems, Painted black valence on front bumper, 2.5" 5100 Billys front, 1.5" AAL rear, Satin black TRD O/F wheels with 265/75 16 Definity M/T, Spidertrax spacers
    You MIGHT be able to, but if you've ever tried to compress these things even when out of the front end assembly, it's quite difficult. :(

My bets are you'll have to take it out anyway...

Kind Regards,
    Ryan

6. Sep 6, 2009 at 1:58 PM
    Shrumple

Shrumple [OP] Member

Member:
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Offroad
    You know, in the back of my mind I agree... was hoping somebody could tell me otherwise.

Canceling my spacer order...

7. Sep 6, 2009 at 2:20 PM
    r12rex

r12rex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cleared headlights, Black emblems, Painted black valence on front bumper, 2.5" 5100 Billys front, 1.5" AAL rear, Satin black TRD O/F wheels with 265/75 16 Definity M/T, Spidertrax spacers
    Not to burst anyones bubble, but why are all these coilovers that provide a 3" lift preloading the springs so much to obtain such a lift?!

I think it's ridiculous that you pay a large sum of money to only get less than what is advertised. I mean you could preload the springs to provide the full 3", but a the cost of ride compliance...wasn't that the problem with spacer lifts or lifts like the 5100s provide?!

:confused:

I understand that it probably rides better than a stock set-up with compressed springs...but IMO I'd be pretty disappointed not acheiving the full 3" lift because the ride got stiff again. :(

I DO know that they are awesome when not crazy preloaded though! :thumbsup: :)

Kind Regards,
    Ryan

8. Sep 19, 2009 at 5:57 AM
    Shrumple

Shrumple [OP] Member

Member:
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Again, agreed. I'm kinda pissed that I'd have to CRANK those coils to get anywhere near 3" of lift. I'm pretty much maxed out preload-wise and I'm around 2". Maybe less.

9. Sep 23, 2009 at 8:12 PM
    Rich Beauregard

Rich Beauregard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    New London, CT
    Vehicle:
    17 Taco 4x4 SR5 Access Cab White
    Should have bought Old Man Emu front shocks/struts with the OME885 or OME886 Springs. www.trdparts4u.com About $425.00 and you get the lift.

Products Discussed in

To Top