1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toytech Coilover Question

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by eltaco, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Nov 6, 2009 at 5:38 AM
    eltaco

eltaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    '07 4x4 DC Offroad
    I installed my Toytech Coilovers a couple of weeks ago, and they have settled a fair amount so I want to go back in and crank up the preload a bit. I'm curious how much distance I can put under the adjustment collar, as my instructions were WAY off. I think I'm currently at 1.75" under the passenger side, but I'll have to check to confirm that. When I adjusted them per the instructions, the truck was approximately at stock height.

I just put on my 285 BFGoodrich A/Ts and I have some considerable rubbing when the truck is in reverse. I had 285 M/Ts on before with my 2.5" spacer lift with no rubbing, so I know I need to raise the truck more... just not sure how far is okay on the adjustment collar.

2. Nov 6, 2009 at 5:53 AM
    Snyperx

Snyperx Seniore Marcos

Member:
    I have the same coil overs and If I remember right the max lift amount with the coil overs is 3" from stock height.

3. Nov 6, 2009 at 6:02 AM
    eltaco

Member:
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    '07 4x4 DC Offroad
    I believe it's actually 3.5", which is great... except for the fact that I don't have a measurement for stock and I forgot to take any measurements of my front end with the 2.5" spacer. Bonehead move, I know.

If you have an opportunity, could you get a measurement of your CO and get back to me?

The picture below shows where I am taking the measurement. This picture is much less than I have now; I believe I have 1.75" at this point.

[​IMG]

4. Nov 6, 2009 at 9:27 AM
    eltaco

Member:
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    '07 4x4 DC Offroad
    Here's a reply I just got back from Toytec. Super helpful information for those with the coilover kit (not assembled!)

I think you may have the wrong instructions. If you have the kit with 5100s and your stock top plates you need to add almost an inch because of the thickness of our billet stock top mount. You do not have that part so the coil has to sit higher up on the shock. A rough estimate for 3" lift with that setup would be somewhere between 2 1/2" and 3" thread under the adjusting nut.

5. Nov 6, 2009 at 5:07 PM
    eltaco

Member:
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    '07 4x4 DC Offroad
    Just a heads up, I measured when I got home from work and I had 2.25" on the passenger side and 2.5" on the driver's side. I am most likely going all the way to 2.75" on the passenger side and 3" on the drivers.

Kinda answered my own question, I know, but perhaps it will be useful for someone in the future.

6. Mar 11, 2010 at 9:36 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    Sorry to pick up on this so late...
    But if you order the 'unassembled coilover kit with 5100's' they dont come with the Toytec top plate? and you have to reuse the stock top plate?

Does this effect the max height adjustment? i.e. the pre assembled coilovers can ultimately lift .5" (or whatever) higher than the un assembled?

Thanks.

7. Mar 12, 2010 at 3:47 AM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
    Re-use the top plate..Yes,
    You can still get the full 3" of lift.You'll just have more thread showing.

8. Mar 12, 2010 at 5:50 AM
    eltaco

Member:
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    '07 4x4 DC Offroad

On top of that, I would believe that the preassembled kit is not as stiff as the one that you assemble on your own. To get 3" of lift on the kit that you assemble, I think you have to put more preload on the spring.

At any rate, I love the kit... but it's certainly stiffer than the 2.5" top-plate lift that I had on before.

Products Discussed in

To Top