1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TPMS do they have to be synced to truck / switching rims

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Yota62, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Dec 30, 2017 at 12:38 PM
    Yota62

Yota62 [OP] Member

Member:
    Thinking of buying used off road rims with sensors . Will the sensors work on my SR? Are the sensors programed to the truck they came off of, will they need to be reprogrammed? If so what is involved with getting them to work. Was going to run steel wheels in winter and off road in summer. Might be hassle with sensors, don't know enough about them. No I don't want to put bubble gum over dash light. Thanks

2. Dec 30, 2017 at 12:50 PM
    Crimson Flam3s

Crimson Flam3s Well-Known Member

Member:
    They should work no issues. I know discount tire charged me $20 for swapping all 4 wheels and re calibrating the sensors.

3. Dec 30, 2017 at 12:52 PM
    Yota62

Yota62 [OP] Member

Member:
    thanks

4. Dec 30, 2017 at 1:52 PM
    RichVT

RichVT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Northern Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4X4 AC Grey
    Your truck's computer (ECU) will only store and recognize four sensors at a time. Every time you change your wheels, you need to reprogram the ECU with the ID numbers of the new sensors. You need to know the ID numbers of the new sensors in order to program them into the ECU. If they are already mounted in the wheels, you can read them with a trigger tool (a handheld tool that you aim at the valve stem). A (usually) separate tool will plug into the OBD port and is used to reprogram the ECU.

If you want to do it yourself, the ATEQ Quickset tool is your best bet for a programming tool. Any tire shop should have a trigger tool.

5. Dec 30, 2017 at 4:50 PM
    jay_zed

jay_zed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Sport
    The ATEQ Quickset only works if you already know the sensor ID's. If you don't know them, then you will have to read them first with a different tool like the ATEQ VT31, or just go to one of the local tire shops like Discount or Belle...

6. Dec 30, 2017 at 7:31 PM
    Exracer2

Exracer2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colchester Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road Alpine White ACLB
    BRO grille, KICKER speakers, Key amp, Hideaway sub
    Absolutely correct.

I just switched to my winter rims and I have the Ateq quickset. You use it to store your summer TPMS id’s to the unit and then download it to your computer. Print the id’s as a backup. When removing your summer rims note the position with a grease pencil on the tire so you know what tire corresponds with the sensor id’s for that location.

Then have a tire shop or Toyota program your new sensors to the truck (the first time only). (If you know the id’s you can manually enter them into the quickset software and upload them to the device and then your truck). Once this is done and you reset the TPMS button under the dash it will learn them and work as normal. Then take the Ateq quickset and download the winter tire sensors from your ecu to the quickset and then download those to your computer. Print the summer and winter id’s as a backup once again in case your computer or the quickset loses the info.

Come rim swap time again you do your swap and then plug the quickset into your old port and swap the id’s, reset the TPMS button under the dash and after a few miles everything relearn and you are good until next seasonal swap.

Now if you want to do a tire rotation at the same time as your rim swap each season you can go into your computer and move the id’s to a different location on the truck and reload these to the quickset. That is why I say use a grease pencil to mark the location so you know what corresponds to where. In the spring I am going to use a paint marker to write the TPMS id’s right on the inside of the rims to eliminate any confusing when rotating or swapping.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    corgimas likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top