1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TPMS - Is the dealer full of it?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Altonymous, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Aug 5, 2010 at 5:13 PM
    Altonymous

Altonymous [OP] Taco Lantern

Member:
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    '10 TM, DC, 4x4, TRD OF w/ SR5
    So after 1900 miles on my 2010 Tacoma DC, my TPMS light came on. I checked all the tires including the spare. The back left was a little low, 30 instead of 32psi. I filled it up, checked for a leak, found nothing... went about my business for a couple days. The light never went off. I didn't bother to do the battery disconnect to reset the ECU, I figured if it didn't go off in around 50 miles it was going in for service for other things anyway, I would have them take a look and reset it.

Anyway, since it didn't go off it was on the list of things for the techs at the dealer to check. They said there was nothing wrong with it, just that my tires were under inflated. They said they were 29psi in the front and 32psi in the rear, that they needed to be 35psi all around. I double checked the door to make sure I wasn't hallucinating and the door said 29psi up front and 32psi in the rear. I asked them why the sticker said one thing and they were saying another. They said the door sticker was wrong, and all the tires needed to be 35psi.

What do you guys think? Is the sticker wrong or the dealer wrong? Should I set the pressure back to what the sticker says and see if the light comes back on? If you think I should and the light does come back on should I take it back and ask them to fix the sensor?

2. Aug 5, 2010 at 5:28 PM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    Set them back to what the door says and use the reset procedure in your manual to set that into the system.
    Sounds like they want to sell more tires to me.

3. Aug 5, 2010 at 5:36 PM
    Snipe

Snipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road
    So the dealer is saying you can't go by the instructions huh?

I think I settled on 32psi

I bet if you rolled in there with 35 all the way around they would point at the sticker and write on the ticket customer error, no problem exists

4. Aug 5, 2010 at 5:43 PM
    RainDodger

RainDodger YGWYPF

Member:
    Great Northwest
    Vehicle:
    '09 Black, TRD Sport
    None yet! It's new!
    spp is totally correct. Even better, after enough mileage to evaluate exactly what pressures you should be running in order to get even wear on your tires, set the tires to that pressure and then reset your TPMS to that pressure.

Any dealer that tells me to run 35 psi is full of crap. First run what Toyota tells you (on the door sticker), and adjust to suit wear and performance from there. Usually a vehicle manufacturer is going to pick a pressure that works best for a combination of mileage and comfortable ride.

5. Aug 5, 2010 at 8:38 PM
    Archangel

Archangel Insurance Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    '13 IS250
    I run 35psi all the way around.

6. Aug 5, 2010 at 9:02 PM
    sb_mech22

sb_mech22 yo quero taco's?

Member:
    Sandy Eggo
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement 4X4 TRD OR DCSB
    i always seem to just run what the tire says....after all toyota doesnt make tires, they make bad ass trucks! IMO the techs were sorely mistaken!

7. Aug 5, 2010 at 9:42 PM
    Archangel

Archangel Insurance Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    '13 IS250
    um.... do you read what goes with that inflation.... the tire inflation idicates the MAXIMUM inflation recommended for the tire, not suggested.

Products Discussed in

To Top