1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TPMS light on after new wheels/tires.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Black Sheep, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Mar 20, 2012 at 5:44 PM
    Black Sheep

Black Sheep [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black Dbl Cab TRD T/X Pro
    6" Pro Comp Suspension lift with Pro Comp leveling kit, Bilstein 5100's, Full leather interior with seat heaters, Go Rhino step bars, Sony XNV-770BT Head Unit with NAV, DVD, XM and Blutooth, Tonopro toneau cover, Tinted windows, Black mesh grille, Projector headlights with HID lows, HID fogs, Crystal Eyes rear LED taillights, Weathertech mats front and rear
    My lift is done and the new 35's are installed. The light came on after about the first 15 miles. New sensors were installed. What do I need to do to get the light to go out? it blinks for about a minute when I start up and then just stays on.

2. Mar 20, 2012 at 5:50 PM
    rodney

rodney Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Sienna Mommyvan & Ford 2fitty
    i can only guess the new sensors were not programmed for your truck. tpms are annoying, just put the original set in a pressure vessel and be done with it...

3. Mar 20, 2012 at 5:53 PM
    Black Sheep

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    6" Pro Comp Suspension lift with Pro Comp leveling kit, Bilstein 5100's, Full leather interior with seat heaters, Go Rhino step bars, Sony XNV-770BT Head Unit with NAV, DVD, XM and Blutooth, Tonopro toneau cover, Tinted windows, Black mesh grille, Projector headlights with HID lows, HID fogs, Crystal Eyes rear LED taillights, Weathertech mats front and rear
    I thought that they would just comunicate after aobut 40-50 miles of driving. I can't put the original set back in. They are being sold installed with the original wheels and tires.

4. Mar 20, 2012 at 5:54 PM
    11TRD

11TRD MERICA

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SPORT 4X4 DC
    Cobra 29 WXNWBT, Devil Horns, ARB Bumper, Avid Stepbars, Homer Taco Satoshi thin lip grille, ICON UCA's, ICON EXT Travel up front with King 700# springs, Dakar heavy springs, sumo bump stops, with ICON VS 2.0 shocks in the rear, K&N Drop In, AVS Ventshades and Bugflector, Whelen SPS 660 emergency strobes, Redline Hood struts and tailgate EZdown, Illuminated 4X4 Switch, TRD Floor mats, Flyzeye LED lighting, Kragen 7" HID behind grille, Kragen 4" HID back up lights, Rigid SR Series 10" LEDx2 Elusive elements Lightbar, Firestik antenna, Rear Diff breather mod, Fogs anytime, Hitch Safe, OEM door sill strips, mryo mirror relocate bracket, Prinsu designs roof rack, Tepui Autana RTT, ARB Awning,Engo 10k winch synthetic, Blue seas fuse block and breaker, ARE Topper
    Spare has a sensor too. Check that to rule it out. Otherwise it's programming.

5. Mar 20, 2012 at 6:14 PM
    Black Sheep

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    For the programming, what do I need to do to get them to communicate with the truck? The original sensors were fine so there was no problem with the system.

6. Mar 20, 2012 at 6:38 PM
    1GR

1GR Toyota Dealer Technician

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport
    The sensor "ID's" are input in to the Tire Pressure Monitor ECU. When you get new sensors, they must be programmed in place of your old ones, in order for your truck to read the new sensors. Go to your local dealer. We charge $60 at my dealer to do such a thing.

7. Mar 20, 2012 at 6:42 PM
    JayC06

JayC06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    fairhaven ma
    Vehicle:
    06 4cyl ac 4x4
    5100's front at 1.75, procomp light bar, kc lights, dynomax muffler
    did you try pushing the reset button? it worked for me one time

8. Mar 20, 2012 at 6:42 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Can an OBD2 code eater actually give any detailed information on this?
    Mine has been the same way since I bought it (from MK Smith).
    Blinks for a minute or two after startup then stays on solid.
    Checked all 4 and the spare, jacked them up to 35, no change.

I am seriously considering upgrading my wife's '04 Rav4 to 17" wheels and moving her 16's to the Taco.

9. Mar 20, 2012 at 6:50 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Check air. When my tires were chaneged they were under filled and the light came on. Start with easy stuff first

10. Mar 20, 2012 at 7:07 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Fukkit.

Electrical tape it is.

11. Mar 20, 2012 at 7:36 PM
    rodney

rodney Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Sienna Mommyvan & Ford 2fitty

well, if you bought them, i would think the place that installed them should sort the light.

12. Mar 20, 2012 at 7:59 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    OP bought the sensors and new rims.

I bought the truck with non-functioning TMPS ;)

13. Mar 20, 2012 at 8:02 PM
    Black Sheep

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    I will give them a call in the morning. I am sure that they will sort it out for me.

Products Discussed in

To Top