1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TPMS & New Tires & Rims Question

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by thebigk, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Mar 28, 2009 at 8:23 AM
    thebigk

thebigk [OP] 6 Double 5 3 2 1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken....
    Odessa, TX
    When you guys order your tires & rims mounted and balanced online, do you just do away with your TPMS system?

Are most rims able to have the TPMS mounted on them?

Never changed tires & rims on a vehicle with TPMS so just wondering what most people do.

2. Mar 28, 2009 at 3:16 PM
    thebigk

thebigk [OP] 6 Double 5 3 2 1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken....
    Odessa, TX
    You mean NO ONE has info on this???

C'Mon :D

3. Mar 28, 2009 at 3:17 PM
    rossk35

rossk35 Do Work Son!

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Supercharged
    TRD S/C/TRD Intake/TRD Boost Gauge/DT Headers/OEM TL/ZKW retro/Pioneer DVD w/Ipod/Magnaflow/20% Tint/BHLM/JL 10" sub, JL VR components, JL 450/4 amp/Helwig Sway bar/Viper 791/ 18" limited 4runner rims
    All new rims should/are designed for TPMS sensors. Just have to remember steel TPMS sensors are different then alloy TPMS sensors has to do with the mounting surface.

I swapped mine over when I got new rims.

4. Mar 28, 2009 at 3:21 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Not sure how you do it if you get it already mounted and balanced. They just took them out of my stock rims and put them into my aftermarket ones when I got mine done.

5. Mar 28, 2009 at 7:17 PM
    SuperD

SuperD Mall Cruiser Pilot

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '09 White TRD Sport DC LB 4x4
    ProComp 6" Stage II, 18x9 Moto Metal 955's, Cooper Discoverer STT 305/60R18, K&N FIPK, Go-Rhino Stainless side steps, Redline Elite hood struts, Magnaflow muffler, Delta Alum. Toolbox, Husky Liners F/R, Window tint
    Not sure if you are ordering new sensors with your wheels and tires, but if you had planned to, unless you are going from steelies to aftermarket wheels, I would order them without the sensors. Once you receive the new wheels and tires, take them down to the tire shop or dealership and have the sensors swapped over to the new wheels.

Here's why, you will have to get the new sensors programmed anyway, which will cost $$. New sensors are not plug & play with the Toyota system. It will, however, cost money to have the tires broken down and the sensors swapped, but it shouldn't be as much as the new sensors. If, whoever does the swap, happens to break a sensor it will be their responsibility to replace the sensor and pay to have it programmed.

6. Mar 28, 2009 at 7:24 PM
    ToyoComp

ToyoComp Addicted Mod'r

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 TRD Off Road DC
    Sway-A-Way Race Runner 2.5 coil over (3" lift) & Icon 2.5 rear shocks on RXT springs, Total Chaos UCA, ToyTec differential drop, Tom Woods Driveshaft, SpiderTrax spacers, 8128 Pro Comp wheels, Toyo Open Country RT 285/70/17, DT Long Tube headers, URD MAF, TRD CAI & exhaust, Line-X coated Famous Fabrication front bumper, Demello Sliders and rear bumper, Wet Okole covers, Rigid LED spot, driving & fog, bed mat, debadged & EBC Stage 4 rotors and pads
    I didn't bother to add the TPMS to my new wheels as I don't need some dumbass light to come on the dash reminding me to check my tire pressure. I agree that if you still want this system then I would swap over the ones that came on your stock alloy wheels.

7. Mar 30, 2009 at 7:33 AM
    PatHLC128

PatHLC128 College.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 AC
    OME complete 3" kit, 265/75/16 Cooper STTs, Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Shrockworks sliders, UWS Low Pro Toolbox, AFE Pro-Dry S, OEM Bedmat, Ventvisors, Husky Liners, Tint, De-badged
    if im just getting new tires put on my stock rims do i need to do anything or will the tpms work like normal?

8. Mar 30, 2009 at 7:46 AM
    Joe B

Joe B Well-Known Member

Member:
    Don't know how true this is but I've heard you can mount the tires with the sensors and the sensors can be programed at a Toyota dealer if you have the numbers that are on the sensors.

9. Mar 30, 2009 at 8:19 AM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    I had mine put on my rims, they came off the steelies and before that i the black tape mod lol.

10. Oct 21, 2009 at 6:24 PM
    fibertop

fibertop Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    roger
    Ontario, Wasaga beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 sport DC
    If you don't swap them over then the dumbass light comes on and stays on. this will drive you crazy. trust me.

Products Discussed in

To Top