1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TPMS Question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TXMarine, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Jul 25, 2011 at 8:51 PM
    TXMarine

TXMarine [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD Off Road Magnetic Grey
    OME 3" lift, LR UCA's, 1.25" wheel spacers, custom Homertaco grill, horn relocation, BFG KM2's 285/75-16, alarm w/ remote start
    As far as the built in TPMS sensors go, will i need to take these off when I go with aftermarket tires. I know different tires run at different pressures so will I still be able to utilize this feature. I will be keeping the OEM TRD Off-Road wheels with different tires. Is there a certain PSI they will not work at? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. Jul 25, 2011 at 9:18 PM
    reece13

reece13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD sport, 6spd, 4wd
    Toytec Coilovers, Total Chaos uca's, Wheelers aal+Bilstein 5160's. 285/70/17's, Method Double Standards. Magnaflow exhaust, GrilleCraft grille, Allpro bumper,diff breather relocate, yellow wire mod, oil catch can, weathertechs.
    i think the only time u have to change or mess with tpms is when u get different wheels. as long as you keep the the wheels u have with the tpms sensors that came with the (im assuming toyota wheels) u should be fine with most any tire

3. Jul 25, 2011 at 10:10 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    There is a reset button under the steering wheel . It only goes on when the psi is below the set point at some point. So, just reset it once you have the tires at the psi you want. iirc it goes off at 10% below set pressure ,but i might be wrong.

Make sure the shop doesnt break a sensor on you too.

4. Jul 26, 2011 at 2:09 AM
    daggertats

daggertats Well-Known Member

Member:
    arden nc
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma 4x4 reg cab
    undercover tonneau ,bug deflector, removal of all tacoma emblems added a set of component speakers behind the rear seat egr in channel window visors
    i went from the toyota steel wheel to an aftermarket aluminum and was able to swap my sensors with no issues thankfully. apparently there is a different angle on the steel ones versus the aluminum ones .

5. Jul 26, 2011 at 9:27 AM
    rodney

rodney Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Sienna Mommyvan & Ford 2fitty
    i just swapped wheels from stock steels to aftermarket, and my sensors did not work.

oem sensors from steel wheels have 40 degree heads, whereas oem sensors from alloy wheels have 20 degree heads.

i wasn't going to buy $400 in sensors, so i made a pipe bomb out of pvc. cost me $10 at home depot. tested it out this weekend, problem resolved. now i can run any one of my 3 sets of wheels with no tpms light. yay! :D

6. Jul 26, 2011 at 10:46 AM
    friction

friction Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5
    Nice move. I went with mine taped to the spare, which works too...or, the TPMS sensors can be flipped 180 degrees.

7. Jul 31, 2011 at 5:12 PM
    coolreed

coolreed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Reed
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro
    Goodyear Wrangler Dura Track Pro Tires, K&N Cold Air Intake, Pedal Commander.
    What do you mean you made a Pipe Bomb? May I assume you used a PVC Pipe and mounted one of your TPMS Sensors in it and pressured it up to memic a tire in order to fool the TPMS monitoring circuitry?:eek:

8. Jul 31, 2011 at 5:15 PM
    coolreed

coolreed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Reed
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro
    Goodyear Wrangler Dura Track Pro Tires, K&N Cold Air Intake, Pedal Commander.
    Mr. Friction,

You mounted your TPMS to your spare with tape? Or you can turn your TPMS 180 degrees. I do not understand? :eek:

9. Jul 31, 2011 at 5:57 PM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    40 degrees? 20 degrees? Help a guy out.

I'm going from steel OEMs to American Racing alloys this week. I am not sure what you mean in the degree differences and why?

Thanks

10. Jul 31, 2011 at 6:13 PM
    drtydru

drtydru Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dru
    Oakland
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4
    Bucket seats, Variable speed wiper switch, 09 led Tail Lights, Satoshied front grill, DDM HIDs, Fog light install, Mud flaps removed, 1.5'AAL, Billie 1552, Toyotec front coilovers w/Billies, B.A.M.F welded sliders w/kickout,
    I just replaced my 16" steelies today with 17" trd sport wheels. The sensors would not sit flush against the inner wall of the larger wheels, so I was told they would not work. I am assuming they make 2 different types of sensors for different size wheels.

11. Aug 9, 2011 at 1:36 PM
    friction

friction Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5
    180 degrees = turning them in exactly the opposite direction inside the rim. Apparently they will break when a tire is removed, so you have to use caution and be certain to drop them in the tire before removing it from the rim.

Products Discussed in

To Top