1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TPMS Question

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by PVT Pablo, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Nov 30, 2016 at 6:46 PM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo [OP]

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    Hey all, so I'm going to be switching from my current tire and wheel set up to a new tire and wheel set soon.

Here's my question. I want to leave the current OEM tires, wheels, and sensors as a single package. I currently have a set of aftermarket tires, wheels, and sensors on the way. Will the tire shop/dealership be able to program my new aftermarket sensors without dismounting my OEM tires from the OEM wheels to get to the OEM sensors.

Thanks!

2. Nov 30, 2016 at 6:47 PM
    Midnighttaco08

Midnighttaco08 Traffic Direction Moonlighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB Indigo Ink TRDOR 2017 CM Tundra TRD OR 4x4
    Some Bubble Gum and Duct-Tape IG** Midnighttaco03 Camburg uni-ball UCA w/ CO Rear Dakar with Fox 2.0 bottom overload removed GG G3D radius bar 50" roof mount GG G3 straight 32" front valence Rago fab bed clamp pod mounts 2 GG amber pod rear OTRATTW custom switch panel in sunglass holder K&N cold air Gibson exhaust Alpine INA-W900 head Mr. Marv box and amp rack IDQ-10 - Interfire Mono Focal fx45 component front Alpine type S Co-ax rear Homer taco TRD Grill GG LED low/high beam TRD seat covers OEM bed mat Weathertech floor mats with replacement TRD-OR decals Weathertech in-channel vents GG Flush mount pod replament fog light kit GG green ditch mount 3x2 pods Fog lights anytime Tailgate hoseclamp mod LED dome light LED map lights LED reverse lights LED license lights Rear window decals: Mall rated, Tacomaworld.com, U-Haul power tow, soundtech, mammoth.
    Shouldn't be a problem.

New sensors are just re-learned to the tpms system.

3. Nov 30, 2016 at 6:48 PM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo [OP]

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    Ok cool, just wanted to make sure they didn't have to pull the OEM sensors to read a number off the back or something silly to program the aftermarket sensors.

4. Nov 30, 2016 at 6:54 PM
    Midnighttaco08

Midnighttaco08 Traffic Direction Moonlighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB Indigo Ink TRDOR 2017 CM Tundra TRD OR 4x4
    Some Bubble Gum and Duct-Tape IG** Midnighttaco03 Camburg uni-ball UCA w/ CO Rear Dakar with Fox 2.0 bottom overload removed GG G3D radius bar 50" roof mount GG G3 straight 32" front valence Rago fab bed clamp pod mounts 2 GG amber pod rear OTRATTW custom switch panel in sunglass holder K&N cold air Gibson exhaust Alpine INA-W900 head Mr. Marv box and amp rack IDQ-10 - Interfire Mono Focal fx45 component front Alpine type S Co-ax rear Homer taco TRD Grill GG LED low/high beam TRD seat covers OEM bed mat Weathertech floor mats with replacement TRD-OR decals Weathertech in-channel vents GG Flush mount pod replament fog light kit GG green ditch mount 3x2 pods Fog lights anytime Tailgate hoseclamp mod LED dome light LED map lights LED reverse lights LED license lights Rear window decals: Mall rated, Tacomaworld.com, U-Haul power tow, soundtech, mammoth.
    :thumbsup:

5. Nov 30, 2016 at 6:57 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    No, the ID codes from the new sensors is all that's needed.

Any shop worth their salt in dealing with TPMS will have a tool that will read the sensor signal and ID code from the exterior - no need to dismount the tires to get the IDs. Not that it applies to your case, unless you want to reinstall the OEM wheels and your existing IDs aren't recorded before the new ones programmed.

MO Tacoma likes this.
  6. Nov 30, 2016 at 7:01 PM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo [OP]

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    Thanks. From the sound of it I shouldn't have a problem as long as I have both sets of sensors present, regardless if they are installed or not.

landphil[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Dec 3, 2016 at 7:17 AM
    BarberRider

BarberRider Merit Badges: Scuba Cliff diving Mirror Awareness

Member:
    First Name:
    Fletch F. Fletch
    Trussville, AL
    Vehicle:
    1974 Dodge Monaco
    It's got a cop motor, a 440-cubic-inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.
    No, you don't need the old sensor ID's unless you want to install them again. In that case, make sure you record their IDs from the ECU before inputting the new sensor IDs.

Even if you are selling the old wheel/tire/sensor combos, the new owner would appreciate having the IDs

8. Dec 3, 2016 at 8:12 AM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo [OP]

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    Good to know. I'm getting everything swapped over tomorrow so I'll let the technician know. I assume that's something he can read off his little scanner machine?

9. Dec 3, 2016 at 8:23 AM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    You bet.

PVT Pablo[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  10. Dec 6, 2016 at 2:33 PM
    tranandya

tranandya Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB TRD SPORT
    5100 885x LR UCA 1.5AAL FIRESTONE RIDE-RITE w/DAYSTAR CRADLEs
    Just know you can only have 1 set of TPMS at a time. So if plan to swap back and forth winter /summer setup one set will throw a light and the other wont.

Products Discussed in

To Top