1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TPMS question

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by GrizzledBastard, Jan 17, 2022.

1. Jan 17, 2022 at 2:58 PM
    GrizzledBastard

GrizzledBastard [OP] OH NO! I've built a Faux Pro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD OR 4x4 DCLB Super White
    Not enough bandwidth on the internet to list.
    AT 7k now, my truck was in a couple weeks or so ago for a TPMS code C2122. Not to go to deep down the rabbit hole but the system simply quit working and they immediately blamed it on my new tires claiming the installers damaged the system....even though I had driven 5k on them and the sensors worked perfectly. They did determine there was a warranty issue after all that and "reprogrammed" the system and it worked. For a whole day. Then it shit the bed again. I'm due back for another issue they couldn't solve so I was expecting to add this back on the squawk list.

I have a new set of wheels sitting in my garage that I would really like to get mounted and intended to switch over the sensors to the new wheels. I'm guessing I'd cut my own throat doing so right now by giving them another excuse to not warranty the issue. They did not elaborate on the problem and I checked my work order and they did not reference a diagnosis or remedy, either. I'll talk to them about that soon but in the mean time, I was thinking of just buying a new set of sensors to go in the new wheels and was thinking of buying the Denso version but not necessarily from Toyota. They're pretty proud of theirs at almost $70 a piece. I've never had to deal with TPMS before and I remember seeing something about Tx frequencies of old versus new. What should I be looking for regarding freq range? They're going on aluminum wheels as before. If I can confirm the problem I have isn't the receiving unit or some onboard component, I'd like to buy one of those sort of spendy handheld programmers like the Autel I have seen mentioned so I can deal with this stuff on my own in the future. I'm likely keeping these OEM wheels to "Maybe" throw another set of tires on in the future so I'd want to be able to make that change onboard when I do.

2. Jan 17, 2022 at 3:11 PM
    eurowner

eurowner Duke Sky

Member:
    First Name:
    Scoty
    The Syncro Ranch, Salida ColoRADo
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRDOR DCLB FTMFWBBQ Silver Sky Met
    Bilstein 8112+650lb coils, 8100+Deaver Stage II leaf pack, SPC UCA, DuroBumps, Mobtown 0* sliders W/fill plates, Mobtown Recovery Bar, Radium PVC & CCV Dual Oil Separator Catch Can System, Snugtop Hiliner Sport, ATH bed Stiffeners (cuz bottle openers!) and front corner tie down, Badger plates for Firestone airbag + Relentless U-bolt flip + Daystar cradles, TRD Pro shift knob, TRD Exhaust, HPS Silicone intake tube, Green Filter, TRD Intake Air Accelerator, 265-70-17 Toyo Open Country ATIII on TRD 17"Rockwarrior Cold Forged wheels, TRD alloy front skid, RCI Aluminum transmission & transfer case skids. Much Meso awesomeness, FreshMexicanTaco TacoGarage Camera Controller + DDM, WarFab Sheridan hitch skid, Rago LCA steel skids + lower rear shock guards, ScanGauge II, FN Koning Countersteer 16" spare, OEM T4R 90105-14104 coilover lower mounting eye bolts
    OEM Toyota sensors on the OEM Toyota wheels with new tires?
    Sometimes the sensors gets damaged taking off or installing the tire. Any good tire shop should have a few different TPMS tools to read the sensor health, showing temperature, pressure and battery.

3. Jan 17, 2022 at 3:17 PM
    GrizzledBastard

GrizzledBastard [OP] OH NO! I've built a Faux Pro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD OR 4x4 DCLB Super White
    Not enough bandwidth on the internet to list.
    Yes, at 1k, I bought new Coopers for the truck and put them on the OEM wheels/sensors. As I said, never had an issue until one day a few weeks ago I noticed the TPMS data was all blank. Mostly short trips ensued afterwards but finally it threw a code. The criteria is after 30 minutes of non-function, it will code. I had over 5000 miles of non-issue on the new tires and I'm pretty confident the installers are aware of how to NOT damage sensors since damn near every car has them these days. I'm gonna swing by that shop tomorrow and have them hit it with there tool to see what we have. I'd just like to get going on putting these new wheels on the truck with new sensors.

eurowner likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top