1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TPMS Riddle?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Wolftaco, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Sep 8, 2019 at 6:01 AM
    Muddinfun

Muddinfun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Somebody should try it and see what happens. I have thought for awhile that, if this would work, it would be cool to have TPMS sensors in my trailer tires.

2. Sep 8, 2019 at 7:00 AM
    fb40dash5

fb40dash5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    People's Republic of MD
    Vehicle:
    11 V6 AC 4x4
    I wonder how much range the receiver has... I once had a hell of a time with a long wheelbase E250 that had a commercial hot water pressure washer in the back, came to find out the TPMS receiver was losing the left rear signal pretty frequently between the distance, and the hulk of metal back there.

Then again, I dunno where Ford put the receiver on that thing, and I think the Tacoma's is up in the headliner? One way to find out... grab some cheap clonable sensors and pop em in your trailer wheels!

3. Sep 8, 2019 at 7:03 AM
    Tusk

Tusk Active Member

Member:
    Thanks for the reply. I don't think it's an issue of good/not good, I think it's an issue of whether the truck polls the sensors or just sits there listening for them to report something (like low pressure). If the sensors were reporting their status all the time I don't think the batteries would last as long as they do.

The way I see it is if the sensors are polled be the truck then having more than one unit with the same number would probably cause a conflict with the system. But if the truck just sits there waiting for a sensor to report something then it should work, because the chance of the same two sensors reporting a problem at the same time are pretty remote. I hope that makes sense.

4. Sep 8, 2019 at 9:47 AM
    Muddinfun

Muddinfun Well-Known Member

Member:
    I am about 80% confident that it won't work. I'm not willing to spend the money and effort on those odds.

Products Discussed in

To Top