1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TPMS Sensor Mounting Bands

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 135boomer, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Jun 28, 2011 at 3:28 PM
    135boomer

135boomer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Red 07 Tacoma SR5
    Anyone know where I can find TPMS Sensor Mounting Bands? I'm switching wheels from Steel to Alloy. The TPMS Sensors are mighty expensive so I thought I would use mounting bands since my 40* steel wheel sensors won't fit on the alloys which have 20* sensors. I'm not sure the "universal" ones would work since my stock TPMS sensors need a place for the valve to go through as opposed to lying flat against the wheel with the band holding them in place.

I'm aware of the sensor mod of inserting the sensors into a tire or PVC and pressurizing to the required pressure and I'm also aware of the sensor module mod but I would like to keep the system as stock as I can since this is actually for my daughters 2007 Prerunner SR5. It was her 18th birthday present last month and I'm trying to keep things as stock as I can but with a few upgrades.

Any Help would be appreciated.

2. Jun 28, 2011 at 3:59 PM
    xSectionxEightx

xSectionxEightx Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 4.0L 6sp Access Cab
    Allpro LT powder coated black with Fox 2.5s. BAMF Sliders w/ kick outs. Allpro Expo leaf pack and Fox 2.0 RR. Brute Force hybrid bumper. BAMF Roofrack. Tepui Kukenam in Siberia Camo. CBI ditch light brackets. Cobra CB. Allpro skidplate.
    You shouldn't need bands to swap the sensors. The only issue I have ever had with sensor swaps is small air leaks. This can be resolved using a larger rubber grommet. What makes the sensor not compatible with the new wheels? Size? Hole Location?

3. Jun 28, 2011 at 4:36 PM
    135boomer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Red 07 Tacoma SR5
    Well, I imagine that the steel wheel has a steeper incline up to the location of the tpms as opposed to the lesser slope of the alloy wheel. Thus the 40* steel wheel sensor won't fit properly in an alloy wheel. It may work to install a 20* alloy wheel sensor in a steel wheel but not vise versa.

Does that make sense?

4. Jun 28, 2011 at 5:15 PM
    xSectionxEightx

xSectionxEightx Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 4.0L 6sp Access Cab
    Allpro LT powder coated black with Fox 2.5s. BAMF Sliders w/ kick outs. Allpro Expo leaf pack and Fox 2.0 RR. Brute Force hybrid bumper. BAMF Roofrack. Tepui Kukenam in Siberia Camo. CBI ditch light brackets. Cobra CB. Allpro skidplate.
    OK ya. Most shops can still use this sensor in the alloy wheel. It is more difficult, but possible. Mount the first bead of the tire, Install the sensor (must be rotated 180* inside the rim). Mount the second bead. Inflate. To dismount tires in the future, deflate, unscrew sensor cap, press sensor into the tire, then dismount without crushing the sensor. I hope this helps. I have installed hundreds of sets of sensors, and this usually does the trick. If the angle of the sensor flipped is too close to the sidewall, you probly need to drill a second valve hole in the wheel along the back bead or behind the spokes. where it should fit properly.

5. Jun 29, 2011 at 7:12 AM
    135boomer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Red 07 Tacoma SR5
    Thanks for the input. It is something I will definetily keep in mind and consider as time goes. In the interim, I would like to continue to research and if it comes down to it then your suggestion is definetly viable.

Thanks
    Dave
    USAF Retired

Products Discussed in

To Top