1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TPMS Sensor....WTF??

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by ShaShasBoo, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Feb 22, 2010 at 4:23 PM
    Tugboatdude

Tugboatdude Team Wonderbread

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    08 4X4 TRD Sport Long Bed
    6in Pro Comp, 17x8.5" Razor Rims, 35in BFG's, Tinted windows, Piaa lights. Magna Flow cat back exhaust.
    I don't have the sensors on the new tires. How can I disconnect the sensor on the spare?

2. Feb 23, 2010 at 4:52 AM
    HankB

HankB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    near Chicago
    Vehicle:
    06 Preruner TRD Off Road
    bone stock
    I don't think you can do anything with the sensor in the spare that will cause the light to go out. With the other 4 sensors gone, I believe the TPM indicator will flash to indicate a fault. You can either disable the system or mask the indicator. You will probably not find a technician that will disable it for you as the federal law forbids that (except when sensors cannot be fitted to replacement wheels.)

3. Feb 23, 2010 at 6:55 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I think your only option will be to disconnect the light itself which will require going into the dash console (see the LED replacement threads).

Removing the sensor from the spare won't do anything. Another option is to put the original sensors in a tube or a small tire and inflate it to the proper pressure:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/wheels-tires/47465-tpms-light-old-solution-revisited.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/1184-my-tpms-sensor-diy.html

4. Feb 23, 2010 at 7:25 AM
    ShadowFalken

ShadowFalken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    10 Off Road
    Raptor stainless bars, Wet Okole covers, RollBak bed cover, PopNLock, Redline hood struts, XM radio factory kit
    Hank makes good points here.

I will add a little to TPMS light operation. Not all vehicles use the exact same indicators for the system. Some use only one indicator that looks like a tire profile (fish bowl) with an exclamation point in it. It will be yellow in color. Others will have this light as well as another yellow indicator of the four letters "TPMS". The tire symbol is the low tire indicator and the "TPMS" light will be the "system fault" indicator. If you have only one or the other it will do both jobs. (I am writing this generic for all vehicles because the behavior is industry standard) The strategy works like this.

At key on the indicators will do about a two second "bulb check" where they all turn on and then go off. This is a chance to be sure the indicators actually work. The tire indicator will go out and stay out if there are no low tires detected. If a tire is below the programmed PSI by a specific amount, the low tire light will come right back on SOLID until the issue is corrected. These lights can come on going down the road if a tire goes low or a fault is detected. Many systems will also turn on a light if a tire is OVER the calibrated pressure range because this is also a potential safety issue. So just remember that SOLID lights are PRESSURE related. Sensors all have batteries, they are not replacement items but are expected to last for many years (just like lithium watch batteries). Most vehicle makers use sensors that "go to sleep" when the vehicle sits still for a while. This is designed to extend battery life. Those vehicles, when you fill up a low tire, will likely need to be driven above about 20 MPH for a couple of minutes for the system to receive the new pressure from the sensor and turn the low pressure light back off. All Toyota sensors that I have looked at transmit all the time. This is one of the reasons that Toyota sensor ID numbers must be registered to the vehicle module. That way it will only pay attention to your sensors instead of the car next to you on the road.

The second mode of operation is for a fault. If at key on you see the bulb check and then see a flashing light a system fault has been detected. The light will flash once a second for one minute and then go solid on. Usually this is caused by one or more missing or damaged sensors. Dead batteries will also cause it. If you have a vehicle serviced and there are no warnings when you take it in and the light flashes when you pick it up, one was damaged. If you are concerned with this happening, do the dance. Have the service consultant come out to the vehicle and sign off on a working system. Then before you pick it up, take the vehicle out for a test drive, over 25 MPH for five minutes or more and if the lights stay off there are no problems. If you get a solid light tomorrow a tire has gone low. Some vehicles are very sensitive to pressure (depending on make and system) and 1-3 psi will turn on the low pressure light. A slightly inaccurate gage with a big temperature change can turn on a light in a day.

I would never disable or hide a warning system from the driver. If you put on wheels with no sensors, the flashing light then solid will be an indicator to the driver that the safety system is not operating. It is kind of like an ABS light or SRS (airbag) light. If the light is on it indicates to the drive that the system is likely not available.

One last thing. All this information is for "direct TPMS" systems with sensors in the wheels. There were some vehicles with "indirect" systems that used wheel speed sensor data to detect low tires. A low tire would have to spin faster to keep up with an aired up tire. They used comparison to detect a low tire. There were issues with accuracy so most have gone to direct systems with sensors. Some vehicles still use the wheel speed signal for additional information on "spring rate" of the tire. If a pressure sensor is skewed, one way to find it is to look at the wave form of the wheel speed sensor over a bump. If a tire looks "springy" like when the pressure is low it may flag a low tire. Tire construction and quality can cause lights even when the pressure is correct.

NEVER use tire sealer in a tire with a sensor in it.

Sorry for the book, I hope the detail is helpful in understanding the systems on our vehicles today.

TacomaJack099 likes this.
  5. Feb 23, 2010 at 12:07 PM
    Tugboatdude

Tugboatdude Team Wonderbread

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    08 4X4 TRD Sport Long Bed
    6in Pro Comp, 17x8.5" Razor Rims, 35in BFG's, Tinted windows, Piaa lights. Magna Flow cat back exhaust.
    ^^^^Thanks guys for your imput. How would I go about "masking" the indicator? I'm just tired of looking at that damn light.

6. Feb 23, 2010 at 12:11 PM
    geist262

geist262 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD Off Road in Silver Streak

^^^^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^^^

7. Feb 23, 2010 at 12:11 PM
    RainDodger

RainDodger YGWYPF

Member:
    Great Northwest
    Vehicle:
    '09 Black, TRD Sport
    None yet! It's new!
    It is correct that '09s do not have a sensor in the spare. Mine doesn't. (My '08 FJ DOES have one in the spare and I suspect the Tacomas are the same.)

8. Feb 23, 2010 at 5:45 PM
    nine2nine

nine2nine Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Greensboro N.C.
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Tocoma Sport 4wd
    the tire store i went to for new tires checked tpms sensors before he took tires off and after he put he put new tires on he checked all 5 to be sure they were working

9. Mar 10, 2010 at 2:56 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    Similar question, Hijak: Just put on new tires and the warning light flashes until I start driving, then it goes solid. I checked all tires PSI including spare, all at 33psi (tried 35psi just to see and no effect).

So since it blinks until I drive for 100' then goes solid, does that mean the sensor(s) toast?

thanks

10. Mar 10, 2010 at 3:14 PM
    rmb_crew

rmb_crew My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Jacksonville, FL 30.243103, -81.591007‎
    Vehicle:
    2010 F150 XLT SuperCrew 4X4
    Access larado tonneau, magnaflow exhaust
    My 09 does have a sensor in the spare. Got too cold one day and the light came on and all the other tires were good..... it was the spare.

11. Mar 10, 2010 at 3:19 PM
    ShadowFalken

ShadowFalken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    10 Off Road
    Raptor stainless bars, Wet Okole covers, RollBak bed cover, PopNLock, Redline hood struts, XM radio factory kit
    Did you mount the tires on the wheels you had? Are the sensors still on the truck?

If you still have sensors then you most likely have one or more that were damaged when the tires were mounted. The flashing indicates a SYSTEM FAULT not a low tire. The standard is for the flashing to continue for ONE MINUTE and then stay on. That is different from the look of a low tire. A low tire will just come on and stay on after the two second bulb check. The Flash at startup says problem and air hose is not likely to fix.

HTH

12. Mar 10, 2010 at 3:21 PM
    rmb_crew

rmb_crew My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Jacksonville, FL 30.243103, -81.591007‎
    Vehicle:
    2010 F150 XLT SuperCrew 4X4
    Access larado tonneau, magnaflow exhaust
    You can also just crack open the dash and take the light out. thats what i did for someone else who took there TPMS out....

TacoTuesday!! likes this.
  13. Mar 10, 2010 at 5:06 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    Exactly what i needed to know, thanks.

And for the other one, my '09 has a sensor on the spare.

14. Mar 10, 2010 at 6:45 PM
    trdtacoman31

trdtacoman31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 Titan Pro4x CC

X2- I work for Firestone, this is most likely the problem. You have to be careful when taking the tire off not to damage the sensors. Techs brake them from time to time.

15. Feb 6, 2020 at 1:21 PM
    TacoTuesday!!

TacoTuesday!! Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '10 Metallic Gray 4.0 V6 4x4 DCLB
    6 in Rough Country Lift, Body Armor Front and Rear Steel Bumpers, Spare Swingarm, Smittybuilt X2O Winch, ProComp rims on 35"s, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Tuff Country UCA's, Wheeler's Off-Road multiple leaf add-a-leafs, BlackOak LED fogs, BlackOak LED backup lights, Rough Country curved light bar, Yakima Roof Racks, Morimoto Projector Headlight conversion with Halos, smoked tail lights, Grill Raptor lights, Custom Grill with Tacoma lettering, Studded Fender Flares, Bedrail quickgrips, Diamondback bed topper, VIAIR onboard air, Train horn, Viper remote start alarm system, Katskinz leather interior, 2x12” JBL subs, and more
    how tough is it to disassemble the dash to take the TPMS light out? (am I looking at a day job or 30 min job?)

16. Feb 6, 2020 at 7:16 PM
    rcwhat

rcwhat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    20 trd or
    Holy necrothread, you might want to start a new thread or find one newer than 10yrs ago. Sorry to be blunt but you’ll probably get more help that way.

17. Feb 6, 2020 at 7:19 PM
    TacoTuesday!!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    6 in Rough Country Lift, Body Armor Front and Rear Steel Bumpers, Spare Swingarm, Smittybuilt X2O Winch, ProComp rims on 35"s, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Tuff Country UCA's, Wheeler's Off-Road multiple leaf add-a-leafs, BlackOak LED fogs, BlackOak LED backup lights, Rough Country curved light bar, Yakima Roof Racks, Morimoto Projector Headlight conversion with Halos, smoked tail lights, Grill Raptor lights, Custom Grill with Tacoma lettering, Studded Fender Flares, Bedrail quickgrips, Diamondback bed topper, VIAIR onboard air, Train horn, Viper remote start alarm system, Katskinz leather interior, 2x12” JBL subs, and more
    are you a pathologist? never have I ever heard the prefix necro- applied to anything other than pathology specimens

18. Feb 6, 2020 at 7:24 PM
    rcwhat

rcwhat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    20 trd or
    Not a pathologist, although I’d probably make more money if I were.

19. Feb 6, 2020 at 7:25 PM
    TacoTuesday!!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    LOL

Products Discussed in

To Top