1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Traction bars for lifted Tacoma

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by kenny3932, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Jan 9, 2008 at 1:46 PM
    kenny3932

kenny3932 [OP] Member

Member:
    north west Indiana
    Vehicle:
    TRD prerunner SR5
    2004 V-6 motor, tuff country 3" suspension lift, aftermarket wheels. custom grill insert
    I would like to install a set of traction bars on my 01 Prerunner. I have a 3" lift and I'm getting some axle flex at take off and during braking. I thought this would be a good fix plus it would look pretty cool. any suggestions on the best set up. :confused:

2. Jan 9, 2008 at 2:17 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    check with performance products, as they have some traction bars listed. a link is in the right top corner under the heading "shop online".

3. Jan 9, 2008 at 2:27 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    What kind of lift do you have? Is it a block in the rear? If so, new leafs like Deavers or Dakars or an AAL instead of the block might help.

Also, there's a "traction mod" in the cheap/free mod thread that goes over using some helper springs mounted backwards to help fight axle wrap/wheel hop. And those are $25-$30 at just about any auto parts store apparently. Be cheaper than any sort of traction bar setup.

4. Jan 9, 2008 at 2:34 PM
    kenny3932

kenny3932 [OP] Member

Member:
    north west Indiana
    Vehicle:
    TRD prerunner SR5
    2004 V-6 motor, tuff country 3" suspension lift, aftermarket wheels. custom grill insert
    I have 3" blocks on the leaf springs. I'll look into that info you gave me .Thanks.:rolleyes:

5. Jan 9, 2008 at 2:53 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    Yeah. Blocks will do it. Axle is farther from the springs so it has a longer lever, so to speak, to apply more torque to the springs and twist them more.

My stock 06 springs were weak and caused that (and bottoming out). That's why I went with an AAL. Kept the axle closer to the springs and stiffened the arc of the spring to keep it from twisting.

You can try the helper springs first. If you get the from autozone I'm sure you could try them for a week or so, and take them back later if you keep the box, etc. If they don't help then take them back and look for traction bars. If they do you can keep them, or return them and get AALs or new springs. AAL's would be a LOT cheaper than Deavers or Dakars and would have the same effect. Might be a bit stiff though if you want to offroad. I have AALs, and want to get Dakars when I can afford them.

Products Discussed in

To Top