1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Traction boards

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by baboltin, Mar 24, 2023.

1. Mar 24, 2023 at 11:25 AM
    baboltin

baboltin [OP] New to the 3rd gen world!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Tehachapi,Ca
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tacoma
    Stock with a camper shell for now.
    So I was looking on Amazon last night wanting to get a set of traction boards. There is a million different ones on there, I wanted to ask some seasoned off-readers on here what ones do you guys recommend? Or are they all pretty much created equal? Thanks guys

2. Mar 24, 2023 at 11:41 AM
    taco_naranja

taco_naranja Well-Known Member

Member:
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tacoma TRD OR
    Prinsu, bronze Method 305, Bakflip MX4
    Most people here are going to recommend Maxtrax which honestly are the best even with their fairly hefty price tag. They’re definitely not all built the same, really depends on how high the probability of use. If you just need something for peace of mind on the off chance you’ll get stuck, there’s no shame in going cheap with a good amount of positive reviews. But if you plan to do a lot of overlanding go with Maxtrax.

baboltin[OP] and SR-71A like this.
  3. Mar 24, 2023 at 11:52 AM
    YF_Ryan

YF_Ryan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Icon Coil Overs. Deaver U402 Stage 3 Leafs w/ Bilstein 5160s. ARB Deluxe Bull Bar. Fuel Boost wheels w/ Wrangler Duratracs. Brute Force Fab Sliders & HC Rear Bumper w/swingout
    It really comes down to how many times you plan on using them. If you don't ever plan on needing them, but want a set on the extremely rare chance you get stuck and need them, a cheap set will usually do the job, ONCE. If you want to use them regularly, Maxtrax or Tred Pro are probably what you want to get. I only have Maxtrax experience, but have heard Tred Pro are similar in quality. Maxtrax hold up to use time and time again (i'm somewhere between 50-100 uses of mine). The compounds used to make the cheaper ones don't allow the elasticity of a Maxtrax. Where a maxtrax will deform and return to shape a cheap board can permanently deform or even snap in half. A friend of mine teaches recovery and lets people use their own gear if they prefer. After having multiple people use his maxtrax, one person asked to use their own. They worked to get them out, but snapped in half in the process. This was in the exact same "ditch" that a dozen people just used the one set of maxtrax in. And those maxtrax are used for this training over and over again for this class, and personal use. So far he has only broken 1 maxtrax. And I got to witness that, as we were using 8 maxtrax under a stuck ram 3500 in a ditch towing a car trailer with a lifted wrangler on it. That maxtrax actually cracked the long way. He has since used some plastic weld with some metal stitches to fix the crack and it's been holding up for UTV use.

4. Mar 24, 2023 at 11:57 AM
    YF_Ryan

YF_Ryan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Icon Coil Overs. Deaver U402 Stage 3 Leafs w/ Bilstein 5160s. ARB Deluxe Bull Bar. Fuel Boost wheels w/ Wrangler Duratracs. Brute Force Fab Sliders & HC Rear Bumper w/swingout
    Here's a great picture showing testing on a Maxtrax. They can deform like this, but will still be flat once the load is removed. Please note, this isn't to test the ability to ramp over an obstacle with a maxtrax, they are way too flexy for that, this is just to show how much they can deform.

336497164_1142742813054064_2328164226067_6810d287591429c2144996194d938987084cd301.jpg

baboltin[OP] and SR-71A like this.
  5. Mar 24, 2023 at 1:43 PM
    PTSDTherapy

PTSDTherapy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    22 SR5 DCSB
    I have Max’s and the ARB boards. Both work well. I also have used cheap ones that others have owned and they have worked. Some will be good for several uses others more.

I’m not going to play any one set off over another. I can hear the fan boys snarling in the background now. 330 bucks is a chunk of change to plunk down for traction boards if you have never used them before or don’t know when or if you will need them, much less the differences between them or what would benefit you the most.

My recommendation is to take a recovery class as mentioned. The worthwhile classes will have different types available to use. Never take recommendations on products/gear without trying them out first yourself. Just my 2 pesos worth.

baboltin[OP] and YF_Ryan like this.
  6. Mar 24, 2023 at 4:02 PM
    Pixeltim

Pixeltim Misunderstood member

Member:
    77 square miles surrounded by reality.
    Vehicle:
    '15 Black DCLB SR5
    Tires, Softopper, many pinstripes.
    A guy in our group has some he's used extensively, they are not Matraxx, but were less than half the price. They've held up very well over the years. There is a YouTube video out there with a comparison. Maxtraxx won, and some were truly rubbish, but there were a couple options that did well for far less $$

baboltin[OP] likes this.
  7. Mar 24, 2023 at 6:13 PM
    baboltin

baboltin [OP] New to the 3rd gen world!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Tehachapi,Ca
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tacoma
    Stock with a camper shell for now.
    Yeah I wouldn’t use them often but would like to have them in a pinch if needed. I go out of state hunting a lot and use my taco for it and I am typically by myself so I thought about getting some after my buddy this past fall got his tundra stuck in snow, that maybe they would be useful for me to have incase. So like I said they wouldn’t get used often but would be nice to have in the situation. I also am probably not experienced enough to understand all the opportunities I could be using them that I haven’t in the past years.

YF_Ryan likes this.
  8. Mar 24, 2023 at 6:48 PM
    themcnertney

themcnertney Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Akron, OH
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tacoma, Off Road, 6 speed manual
    I’m gonna purchase the x-bill brand as they are much cheaper. For me personally, the main use will be leveling the truck for camping, not so much recovery.

We’ve been know to get quite a bit some snow from time to time, so I may find them useful just in case.

My needs don’t qualify for the best of the best though.

9. Mar 25, 2023 at 7:33 PM
    RichochetRabbit

RichochetRabbit Ping Ping Ping

Member:
  10. Mar 27, 2023 at 7:03 PM
    TexDeuce

TexDeuce Member

Member:
    I bought the X-Bull traction boards and used them this winter. They had good reviews on YouTube, the forums, and Amazon so I opted for them for the price.

I used them 4 separate times when I got stuck in the snow and they worked every single time. Had to use them in a blizzard one time, that was fun. No cracks or worn down knobs (didnt spin tires hard on them). Get a shovel as well you will need to do some digging.

Those traction boards plus a shovel 100% saved my ass multiple times.

Products Discussed in

To Top