1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Traction control engaged on dry pavement

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas' started by OZ-T, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Mar 25, 2010 at 4:03 AM
    Robocop

Robocop Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Access Cab Gray Manual
    I do not believe the reset had anything to do with solving the issue as I had a similiar problem just after buying new tires. I was going about 80 and tried to increse my speed to avoid a car changing lanes. I noticed the truck shudder and govern the power down as if I were sliding.

I slowed down to 60 and then incresed my speed with the same result. It seemed as if any sudden increase would cause my traction control to activate....if I slowly increased it worked fine.

After parking the truck all day I drove home that night and could not duplicate the problem regardless of speed or sudden increases in speed. This was the first drive since my new tire swap and I believe the computer had to simply calibrate to the new tires....I went from a 245/75/16 to a 265/70/16 so it should have been close in actual diameter.

Of course I may be wrong however it seemed to repair itself after I drove for a while and then parked the truck. I have been about 700 miles on the tires after that first day and have yet to have the problem return. Sounds weird to me however when I called the dealer that first day the shop guy said he had no idea what could be wrong and wanted me to bring it in for testing. Now I have no idea how our trucks computers work so this is just a guess on my part....good luck.

2. Mar 25, 2010 at 8:16 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T [OP] All of those moments....will be lost.....in time

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Tires are 6 months old , in great shape , this is the first time being rotated .

My stock Dunlops were replaced with my current Hankooks 6 months ago .

OZ

3. Mar 25, 2010 at 8:19 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

While I appreciate all input , as stated above I was not driving like a mad man and have taken this same corner 1000 times at slower and faster speeds , in all conditions and the VSC ( or other ?) has never kicked in , today it did it twice on two seperate but similar corners .

OZ

4. Mar 25, 2010 at 8:22 AM
    09TRD

09TRD it is what it is

Member:
    Oakwood GA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    Not yet,
    I know anytime the rear end in my truck slides even a tiny amount my truck beeps at me.... I learned that with all the snow and ice we had this winter

5. Mar 25, 2010 at 8:29 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    I've had the beep on gravel and snow lots , but never felt the truck apply braking and never had either on dry pavement ,

OZ

6. Mar 25, 2010 at 8:32 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy The dog did it...I swear!

Member:
    High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and l
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OFFROAD 4x4 VSC/TRAC/DAC/HAC
    snugtop supersport canopy, black westin bullbar/tube steps, piaa offroad lights, weathertech floor mats, oem bed mat, trd seat covers, avs inchannel vent visors, 2" suspension lift, front diff drop, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extention & reroute, front window tint, cat theft protection plate, tailgate clamp mod, xpel headlight/foglight protecters, oem block heater, bfg 265/75R/16 a/t k/o's, cabin air rodent protection screen, rcbs illuminated 4X4 switch mod
    I could be mistaking here, but isn't there some type of roll sensor on our trucks? Maybe when they did the re-flash it affected the sensor? Just a thought.

7. Mar 25, 2010 at 8:34 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Yes , I beleive it's called Roll Stability Control ? But I'm not sure if that would trigger the braking application ,

OZ

8. Mar 25, 2010 at 8:40 AM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    The roll sensor is for the side airbags. There is a yaw sensor that is part of the VSC system that is why I asked how you were taking the turn. At any point that my truck gets sideways, the VSC will kick in and straighten you out. You will hear the ABS pump working and a beep from the dash along with a light.

9. Mar 25, 2010 at 8:41 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Would you feel it , in your foot , like you do with the ABS system ?

OZ

10. Mar 25, 2010 at 8:44 AM
    whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    Yes.

11. Mar 25, 2010 at 8:48 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Whippersnapper02 ,

thanks for your help , so I guess it definitely was the VSC kicking in , certainly seems that it is more sensitive since the ecu reflash , done yesterday as well ,

OZ

12. Mar 25, 2010 at 8:50 AM
    whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    No problem man. It could be nothing and it could be a serious problem. I'd defiantly take it back in if it continues to do it.

13. Mar 25, 2010 at 8:54 AM
    RainDodger

RainDodger YGWYPF

Member:
    Great Northwest
    Vehicle:
    '09 Black, TRD Sport
    None yet! It's new!
    I think it much more likely that your re-flash changed some parameter in the VSC than the TPMS caused anything. TPMS is a completely separate system, as others have said. Me.... I'd drive it and not worry unless something weird starts happening routinely.

14. Mar 25, 2010 at 8:55 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy The dog did it...I swear!

Member:
    High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and l
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OFFROAD 4x4 VSC/TRAC/DAC/HAC
    snugtop supersport canopy, black westin bullbar/tube steps, piaa offroad lights, weathertech floor mats, oem bed mat, trd seat covers, avs inchannel vent visors, 2" suspension lift, front diff drop, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extention & reroute, front window tint, cat theft protection plate, tailgate clamp mod, xpel headlight/foglight protecters, oem block heater, bfg 265/75R/16 a/t k/o's, cabin air rodent protection screen, rcbs illuminated 4X4 switch mod
  15. Mar 25, 2010 at 8:57 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:

I agree , I think the VSC parameters were changed with the re flash , it's far more sensitive now , I'll just see whether it is an on going issue after driving it for a while ,

OZ

16. Mar 25, 2010 at 12:49 PM
    KPT

KPT sees what you did there.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner
    Katskin leather interior, Satoshi grille, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75, rear leaf TSB, magnaflow exhaust, 18x9 BBS RW's, 275/65/18 Nitto TG's, black headlights, black taillights, Hella Supertones, weathertechs, EFX tri-fold tonneau, n-Fab steps
    I have the reflash and have not experienced any of your symptoms.

17. Mar 25, 2010 at 1:39 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    Its happened to me a couple times taking a corner to fast or just to sharp.
    Its just enough of a corner to let the inside wheel break free and spin -
    hense the the traction control kinks in, beeping, etc.
    But seeing its on dry pavement its preatty much over by the time the system activates.

18. Mar 25, 2010 at 2:03 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
  19. Mar 25, 2010 at 2:23 PM
    kilgoja

kilgoja Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2009 regular cab 4x4 2.7L (silver)
    :mudding:
    well i'm not completely sure but i have heard that the control systems "learn" your driving habits over time...like how you drive...so if that's true then that may be why you can't get it to happen again...they computer has "learned" how you drive...maybe rotating the tires just altered the computer settings a lil bit and it had to relearn how you drive....lol...dunno

20. Mar 25, 2010 at 3:18 PM
    Crom

Crom Time is precious; use it wisely

Member:
    First Name:
    Mr. Sir
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Double Cab 4x4 Off Road
    A.R.E. MX Shell & Yakima Rack, Stubbs HD-SKO Rock Sliders, JBA UCA's & OME 885 Coils and nitrochargers, Dakar leaf packs, u-bolt flip, Flat BajaRack, Kenwood VHF/UHF Radio, Aux Battery, Solar Panels, L-Track everywhere, Goodyear Duratracs, Secured tailgate, 7-pin relocation, Inverter 400W all time, In-cab 110v outlets, Rear-seat 12v outlets., Steering shaft TSB, anytime fogs, DTRL toggle switch, aux turn signals, Diff Breather, ImMrYo mirror bracket, ABS Kill switch, (2) Kid Car Seats, and a Glock 23 with night sights.
    Based on the discussion I believe it was VSC intervention you experienced. Good job whippersnapper02! :thumbsup:

The key was rounding the corner, which generated a large yaw rate and the lateral (skid) movement of the tire.

To Top