1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trail Seal gasket not sticking

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by nermalgod, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Mar 17, 2009 at 8:26 PM
    nermalgod

nermalgod [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle:
    Offroad boat hauler
    Not going to brag.
    Anyone use a Trail Seal Gasket with any luck? I had one on my last truck and appreciated it so bought it right away with my bedrug and topper. The topper dealership installed it for me whereas I did my previous 2000 Tacoma. I had to have them replace it once within 6 months as it started to peel off. Now 6 months later, I see that it is peeling again. I'm thinking I'll buy another package and do it myself this time. Anyone have similar problems or suggestions? Is it the plastic bed that is causing me problems?

2. Mar 18, 2009 at 6:31 AM
    lasllc

lasllc Wait. . what’s wrong here

Member:
    Southwest RedRocks
    Vehicle:
    13 SuperWhite DCSB Sport TRD
    SnugTop Super Sport, BedRug mat, Redline Tuning hood lifts, LED interior lights, 3D carpet protectors.
    '09 AC TRD OR

Short answer - its not going to stick to the palstic bed. Not because its plastic per se, but that is about 50% oif it; the rest is that the adhesive is ment for a nonporus smooth surface. That rough texture allows for air pockets and oxidation of the adhesive - acts like a virus.

I use RealTrucks (RealTrucks.com) branded seal (same as trail seal) and have no probleam at all. HOWEVER, I did not place it on the plastic, but on the black painted metal edge of the bed supports (on the sides, where the tail gate latches and in line with the bumber button, with the bulb aligned with the edge of the frame and cut to fit past the button. Seals great with very slight gap at the top and under the hinge.

I have not yet figured how I am going to get it along the bottom edge, what with the camera cable and all. But the bottom seals so well anyway that I may not do anything. If and when I do install it, it looks like the best bet is on the tail gate, with the adhesive portion on the metal but snuged up against the lip edge of the tailgat plastic.

Products Discussed in

To Top