1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trailer axle flip before and after

Discussion in 'Towing' started by AdamM, May 8, 2022.

1. May 8, 2022 at 1:05 PM
    AdamM

AdamM [OP] Semi-pro aardvark wrangler

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB base 6MT 4x4
    I've owned this Viking 17bh trailer since 2018, and the one thing that I've been meaning to do to the trailer pretty much since I got it, was to do an axle flip. The trailer came with a spring under axle setup, and because of that the trailer was a little too low.

I would scrape the rear end of the trailer on the way in and out of the driveway, and the sewer pipes were so low, it made it impossible to get into a lot of the spots I used to get into with my old tent trailer. I also put a small lift on the truck after the last camping trip last year. My hitch was already at it's lowest setting, so it finally gave me no choice but to do the axle flip.

I bought a dexter spring over axle conversion kit and a welder on sale at Canadian Tire. I think altogether, including the welder, it cost me less than $500 to do the axle flip. It took me about three hours in the back yard, and now I don't have to worry about scraping on my driveway and can try to get into some camping spots I haven't been able to for the last few years. I also have a welder that I'm sure will come in handy in the future. I think I'll probably put some bigger tires on the trailer, eventually, to gain even a little bit more clearance.

If anyone is thinking of doing an axle flip, I'd say go for it, it was super easy, and pretty cheap to gain a whole bunch more clearance on the trailer.

20220508_135048.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top