1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trailer Brake Controller

Discussion in 'Towing' started by sn49750, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Jul 15, 2020 at 3:39 PM
    sn49750

sn49750 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I just bought a new Tacoma and was disappointed that they no longer come with a brake controller connection like my 2015 Tacoma had. (The brochure said that the Tow Package is standard on the V6 but apparently not the exact same specs as the optional Tow Package for the 2015)

The dealership wants to charge $500 to add the controller saying that they would need to wire it in to the trailer electrical connector.

Does anyone have a better way or can I do this myself? I believe the Tundra has this built-in and I wish they did that on the Tacoma...

2. Jul 15, 2020 at 3:45 PM
    VirusCage

VirusCage Well in the secondary immune response

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Allison Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 1995 Landcruiser 2015 Highlander XLE
    Hood deflector, window vent visors, stainless steps, kb voodoo bedrack, bed cubby cap seals, meso ext fuse cover, meso lower switch panel, 4xhella horns, power tray aux panel, 2wd lo mod, rear FU lights, bed led lights, BPF SKID and Hook, rear view mirror usb power ports, front and rear dash cam, front and rear cam anytime mod, cherry air freshener! Anytime 400watt, inside 110v outlet, BPF Skid plate, BPF shackle mount,
    I would double check that. I know many models including my 17 sport just need the short pigtail to connect the controller. Check etrailer

Junkhead likes this.
  3. Jul 15, 2020 at 3:49 PM
    VirusCage

VirusCage Well in the secondary immune response

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Allison Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 1995 Landcruiser 2015 Highlander XLE
    Hood deflector, window vent visors, stainless steps, kb voodoo bedrack, bed cubby cap seals, meso ext fuse cover, meso lower switch panel, 4xhella horns, power tray aux panel, 2wd lo mod, rear FU lights, bed led lights, BPF SKID and Hook, rear view mirror usb power ports, front and rear dash cam, front and rear cam anytime mod, cherry air freshener! Anytime 400watt, inside 110v outlet, BPF Skid plate, BPF shackle mount,
  4. Jul 16, 2020 at 1:09 PM
    fredgoodsell

fredgoodsell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Salt Lake, UT
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC TRD OR
    Your truck has a plug for a brake controller for sure. It is tucked up in a bunch of other wiring under the driver side kick panel.

Junkhead and Aquatic Tacoma like this.
  5. Jul 16, 2020 at 3:56 PM
    EastCountyTaco

EastCountyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 SW DCLB TRD OR
    Don't give up! I have the towing package and could not for the life of me find it. I was convinced mine was missing, but sure enough it was deep behind all the wiring. It is there!

6. Jul 16, 2020 at 10:07 PM
    brtnstrns

brtnstrns Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2020 Voodoo Blue TRDOR DCSB
    Same. 2020 and I started freaking out trying to find my window sticker to make sure I wasn't crazy about the truck coming with a trailer package. Finally found the thing tucked way up towards the firewall completely hidden behind the other harnesses.

The install videos and pictures made it seem to easy to find but I totally thought it was missing when I first went searching for it.

7. Jul 17, 2020 at 4:54 AM
    Gfunk123

Gfunk123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '13 limited taco
    3” level kit front, Dakar HD w/ Billy B110’s, 1.25” spidertrax, 265/70r18 Falken Wildpeaks AT3W
    Find it young grasshopper.

8. Jul 19, 2020 at 11:19 AM
    Armed in Utah

Armed in Utah Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah's High Desert.......
    Vehicle:
    2003 Lexus LX 470
    Good info.....I'm looking to install one in my '14

I know where to buy it.....just looking for suggestions on brand/features etc

TIA !

9. Jul 19, 2020 at 11:50 AM
    EastCountyTaco

EastCountyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 SW DCLB TRD OR
    I couldn’t be happier with my redarc elite. The box hides behind the dash and leaves you with just a knob on your dash. The only solution that looks factory

10. Jul 19, 2020 at 11:55 AM
    Armed in Utah

Armed in Utah Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah's High Desert.......
    Vehicle:
    2003 Lexus LX 470
    Thx.....

looks like the P3 Tekonsha gets good reviews too......

Along with being $150......need to buy 2 units

RobP62 likes this.
  11. Aug 16, 2020 at 8:19 PM
    RushT

RushT Amateur Everythingist

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    '18 DCSB TRDOR Inferno
    If you have two tow rigs, maybe consider one of the blue tooth apps that simply plug into your 7 pin? I think those are easily ported from one vehicle to another.

12. Aug 17, 2020 at 4:03 PM
    EchoDeltaSierra

EchoDeltaSierra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off-Road
    Nitro 4.88 gears OME suspension ST/Maxx 255/85R16s
    What he said!

I installed a Redarc elite in my 2020. It works well and is a SUPER clean install.

IMG_2392.jpg

13. Aug 22, 2020 at 7:07 AM
    Taco_mike73

Taco_mike73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Lomax tonneau cover, oem bed lights, AJT Design chrome delete, black out badges & tailgate letters, AVS hood deflector & vent visors, Solkie tech hood supports, interior LED lights, Tufskinz mud guards, RedArc TowPro Liberty, bed mat, kicker speaker upgrade, Hikari ultra H11 low beams, Diode Dynamics SS3 fogs in yellow, Meso customs total taillight stage 1. Coming soon: Compact powered sub install Future mods planned: bigger tires (265/75/16) BILLSTIEN 5100 lift
    That looks so good in the panel and so much like an OEM set up.
    I been struggling with how to mount my Tekonsha PrimusIQ so that isn't in the way of the knee air bag or my knee getting in and out. I decided it's not really worth my time messing with locating a cubby from a 16-19 and fitting it to my truck. Decided to look more in to RedArc. I found they have a new model called the tow pro Liberty. Its more for highway towing, does one to two Axel's. It's sets up the same as the elite and classic did with just a knob visible. The best part it's just $135 for the unit it's self. Since I tow a pop-up camper, borrow a utility trailer and will likely never get a much bigger camper this product seemed like an excellent fit for my needs. The elite can do three axels and is better for off road towing if you overland but those features are likely not any I'd benift from. So I ordered the Liberty model from RedArc directly this morning with a factory harness and switch insert for Toyota.
    https://redarcelectronics.com/products/tow-pro-liberty-electric-brake-controller

Now I have the Tekonsha PrimusIQ and won't need it. I may let it go when I sell the Jeep I had it installed in. I could sell it here if any one is interested, I also have a Toyota harness for Tekonsha that's still in the box.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    sendtoharvey likes this.
  14. Aug 22, 2020 at 7:21 AM
    fredgoodsell

fredgoodsell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Salt Lake, UT
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC TRD OR
    Thanks for posting about this. I’ve been planning on the elite for a while, but this seems like it would meet my needs fine.
    Let us know how you like it once it shows up!

edit: for folks looking, etrailer is carrying this new model now too

Taco_mike73[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Aug 22, 2020 at 7:28 AM
    Taco_mike73

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Lomax tonneau cover, oem bed lights, AJT Design chrome delete, black out badges & tailgate letters, AVS hood deflector & vent visors, Solkie tech hood supports, interior LED lights, Tufskinz mud guards, RedArc TowPro Liberty, bed mat, kicker speaker upgrade, Hikari ultra H11 low beams, Diode Dynamics SS3 fogs in yellow, Meso customs total taillight stage 1. Coming soon: Compact powered sub install Future mods planned: bigger tires (265/75/16) BILLSTIEN 5100 lift
    Sure in effort to be helpful as everyone has been for me I will do that.
    I thought it was a deal $162.47 with free shipping and that includes the Toyoda harness to plug in directly and custom switch plate to mount the remote knob. There are other remote controler options on etrailer but this seems like the most clean and affordable set up for the Tacoma if you don't need to more robust off road tow brake control features the elite model has.

16. Aug 22, 2020 at 7:43 AM
    WebberLander

WebberLander Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 4x4
    Overlanding Rig
    I went with the tekonsha prodigy so I can tow with multiple vehicles (my Tacoma & wife’s 4Runner). I was concerned at first with it being a wireless setup but it’s never disconnected while driving on either rig and there is no delay when the brakes are applied. A bonus was not needing to add a controller below the dash or mount anything. When we are not towing the hand held controller stores in the center console.

https://bendtrailers.com/tekonsha-90250-prodigy-rf-brake-controller/

17. Aug 22, 2020 at 7:53 AM
    Taco_mike73

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement SR5 DCSB 4x4
    That's cool and I can see the benifts if you have several tow vehicles you don't have to buy several units and set them up in each. It's a bit more expensive and for someone with only one tow vehicle not as easy to justify the price. Neat that it's wireless for sure.

WebberLander[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Aug 22, 2020 at 4:02 PM
    brtnstrns

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Just as another piece of anecdata: I had the prodigy and there were times that it would apply the brakes kind of strangely. For example at low speed it would apply the trailer brakes 100% as soon as I tapped the brake pedal. Sometimes when this would happen, I would look down at it and it would read "NC" for "not connected". It became kind of hard for me to trust it knowing it was wireless and it wasn't the easiest to adjust on the fly in unexpected situations.

Also, stupid mistake, but it's not difficult to hitch up your trailer and start driving off without remembering to plug in the handheld unit. Happened a couple times to me but I would typically notice after 100 feet or so as I'm going through my final trailer hitching checklist in my head as I'm pulling away. Still something that is kind of concerning.

Also if you ever need the 12V outlet, it takes it away. Of course that situation can be mitigated in a variety of ways, just another thing to think about.

I switched to the Redarc Elite with the knob and it just makes everything more factory looking and confidence-inspiring, which is really one of the most important aspects of towing.

I wouldn't tell someone not to go with the wireless as I have no idea if my experience was just unique, but it's at least something to consider in the decision process.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    Taco_mike73[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Aug 22, 2020 at 4:14 PM
    Taco_mike73

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement SR5 DCSB 4x4
    There are a lot of reasons I like having the trailer brakes. Even on a 2000 pound pop up. My Tekonsha PrimusIQ never flaked like that. I do like having the brakes working even if some people make fun and say it's not really needed. I tow in some hilly areas, I like to know I can stop for sure. I have had many times with the Jeep it would even start to sway some. I hate that feeling but a tap of the override on the trailer brakes lines it back up.
    I think I made a good choice going and ordering the RedArc Liberty controller and not bother moving the one from the Jeep. It's going to look made for the truck.

Junkhead and Bratworx like this.
  20. Aug 22, 2020 at 4:27 PM
    brtnstrns

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    lol! Well you can take solace in the fact that you've proven you're objectively more intelligent than those people! I would not take much stock in the opinion of someone that thinks additional safety precautions while towing are something worth making fun of. See who has the last laugh when their trailer is flipped over on the freeway...

Bratworx and Taco_mike73[QUOTED] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top