1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trailer Light Connector Thing

Discussion in 'Towing' started by black98, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Oct 3, 2009 at 12:40 PM
    black98

black98 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    1998 PreRunner
    I have my wires that go to the trailer wire connector thing just hanging near my hitch, as you can see it here in this picture:

[​IMG]

I want to get a connector that fits on the bracket that you can see in the picture. I traced the holes and matched them up with some that are available at walmart. Not that I need to tow anything right now but I would like to get a connector that will contain the wires nicely. My question is, which one should I get? Is there a standard connector out there which I can be safe getting, in case I ever need to actually use it?

2. Oct 4, 2009 at 5:02 AM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    It will depend on what connection the trailer you are using needs. The most common is the flat four wire connector that controls tail lights and brake lights only. This is the connection that my boat trailer uses.

There are other connectors that have reverse lights, brake controls and even 12 volt power connection for lights in the trailer. These can be a seven or eight wire conncection in circular or flat configuration.

Determine what you need and then look for the connector you need. Most can be installed so there is little or no wires hanging out.

I just wrap the excess wire on my flat four connector around the hitch when not in use. This gives me some slack if the wire on the trailer is not long enough to reach.

Products Discussed in

To Top